$projecthp
  • '82 Corvette ECM 1225550 swap to '84 Corvette ECM 1226430
  • '82 Corvette ECM 1225550 swap to '84 Corvette ECM 1226430
  • '82 Corvette ECM 1225550 swap to '84 Corvette ECM 1226430
  • '82 Corvette ECM 1225550 swap to '84 Corvette ECM 1226430

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Moderator KANE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    3,236
    Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default '82 Corvette ECM 1225550 swap to '84 Corvette ECM 1226430

    So, I had read up on this swap as a way to access more diagnostic functions from commercial scan tools like my Actron unit. FYI- urban legends on some forums said it was plug and play while others had said it wasn't.

    Well, it is a very simple swap and I did it in less than 20 minutes.

    So yes- it is completely plug and play-
    just make sure you have the right ECM (applicable transmission) and a PROM. These ECMs are can be found for around $80 or less.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    Crossfire Injection | .496"/.495" Cam | AFR Eliminator Heads | EBL | 3.73
    0-60mph in four and a half seconds



    1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Missouri City, TX, USA
    Posts
    73
    Corvette(s)
    82 Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    So, I had read up on this swap as a way to access more diagnostic functions from commercial scan tools like my Actron unit. FYI- urban legends on some forums said it was plug and play while others had said it wasn't.

    Well, it is a very simple swap and I did it in less than 20 minutes.

    So yes- it is completely plug and play-
    just make sure you have the right ECM (applicable transmission) and a PROM. These ECMs are can be found for around $80 or less.
    Would be interested in what improvements you experienced. Recently swapped out my stock 82 ecm or another Cardone 82 ecm to fix some problems I had. Later others said I should have gone to the 84. Did not know it was a direct plug and play. If it is worth it, will spend the $ for an 84 ecm and new prom. But need to make sure it is worth it. BTW, 235K miles on my 82 and running good - but then repair or replace anything needed.
    Larry82

  3. #3
    Moderator KANE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    3,236
    Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry82 View Post
    Would be interested in what improvements you experienced. Recently swapped out my stock 82 ecm or another Cardone 82 ecm to fix some problems I had. Later others said I should have gone to the 84. Did not know it was a direct plug and play. If it is worth it, will spend the $ for an 84 ecm and new prom. But need to make sure it is worth it. BTW, 235K miles on my 82 and running good - but then repair or replace anything needed.
    Hi Larry!

    Sorry for taking soooooo long to get back to you. I've been slammed lately with all kinds of stuff going on.

    I think the swap is worth it, especially for a stock '82. It will run better and be more consistent in operation too. The faster processor speed helps keep up with changes- and it can manage a cam and/or intake swap without throwing a code with the right chip.

    If you are still interested in this swap... I have an '84 ECM with a Hypertech chip in it that I don't need. Would be very willing to let them go to a good home for much, much less than you could buy either one separately.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    Crossfire Injection | .496"/.495" Cam | AFR Eliminator Heads | EBL | 3.73
    0-60mph in four and a half seconds



    1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Missouri City, TX, USA
    Posts
    73
    Corvette(s)
    82 Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    Hi Larry!

    Sorry for taking soooooo long to get back to you. I've been slammed lately with all kinds of stuff going on.

    I think the swap is worth it, especially for a stock '82. It will run better and be more consistent in operation too. The faster processor speed helps keep up with changes- and it can manage a cam and/or intake swap without throwing a code with the right chip.

    If you are still interested in this swap... I have an '84 ECM with a Hypertech chip in it that I don't need. Would be very willing to let them go to a good home for much, much less than you could buy either one separately.
    Are the connectors the same as the 82? Not interested or capable in doing any sort of rewiring.
    Larry82

  5. #5
    Moderator KANE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    3,236
    Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry82 View Post
    Are the connectors the same as the 82? Not interested or capable in doing any sort of rewiring.
    Both harnesses use the same card reader style connectors.

    It is completely plug and play... no rewiring at all.
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Missouri City, TX, USA
    Posts
    73
    Corvette(s)
    82 Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KANE View Post
    Both harnesses use the same card reader style connectors.

    It is completely plug and play... no rewiring at all.
    sent pm
    Larry82

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    4
    Corvette(s)
    1982 black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default 1984 ecm to 1982

    I tried this swap this week. The car started in a half a crank but idled at 1400 and would not come down. What did I do wrong. thanks JAC

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Onsala
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jac View Post
    I tried this swap this week. The car started in a half a crank but idled at 1400 and would not come down. What did I do wrong. thanks JAC
    I just did a succesful swap to a 1984 ecm, in a 1982 Corvette. In my research before the swap I found the information about, that if you used the ecm for 1984 manuell transmission, you got problem with very high idle. (Yes I know the thread is old, but it's always good with information for people doing the swap in the future).

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Missouri City, TX, USA
    Posts
    73
    Corvette(s)
    82 Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrustaeus View Post
    I just did a succesful swap to a 1984 ecm, in a 1982 Corvette. In my research before the swap I found the information about, that if you used the ecm for 1984 manuell transmission, you got problem with very high idle. (Yes I know the thread is old, but it's always good with information for people doing the swap in the future).
    Been interested in this for a long time. Think you meant to say that you will have a high idle if you use the PROM for a manual. The ecm is same for automatic and manual, its the PROM that is different.
    Larry82
    Likes KANE liked this post

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Onsala
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry82 View Post
    Been interested in this for a long time. Think you meant to say that you will have a high idle if you use the PROM for a manual. The ecm is same for automatic and manual, its the PROM that is different.
    I'm not an expert, but I think they are different:
    The '82 ECM is the 1225550, the 84 manual is the 1226430 and the 84 auto is the 1226026.
    I bougth the 1226026 on ebay with matching prom.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Missouri City, TX, USA
    Posts
    73
    Corvette(s)
    82 Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrustaeus View Post
    I'm not an expert, but I think they are different:
    The '82 ECM is the 1225550, the 84 manual is the 1226430 and the 84 auto is the 1226026.
    I bougth the 1226026 on ebay with matching prom.
    I stand corrected. You do have the correct part numbers. Looked them up on Rock Auto. I was not aware the 84 Vette had a manual transmission as well as an automatic transmission. Live and learn.
    Larry82

  12. #12
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Onsala
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry82 View Post
    I stand corrected. You do have the correct part numbers. Looked them up on Rock Auto. I was not aware the 84 Vette had a manual transmission as well as an automatic transmission. Live and learn.
    I hope this can explain the high idle you had.
    Please let me know the result, if you do the swap in the future.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Missouri City, TX, USA
    Posts
    73
    Corvette(s)
    82 Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Hope this helps the OP also. I was not having the problem. Only interested in an 84 ecm in an 82.
    Larry82

  14. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Onsala
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry82 View Post
    Hope this helps the OP also. I was not having the problem. Only interested in an 84 ecm in an 82.
    Sorry, my misstake.

  15. #15
    Moderator KANE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    KY
    Posts
    3,236
    Corvette(s)
    Dark Blue 1982 Trans Am(s): Polo Green 1995 MN6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default

    Wow!! I swapped to an 84 ECM how long ago now!!?! In Ď14, I upgraded to Dynamic EFIís EBL and moved up to a truly flexible ECM when it comes to tuning.

    Back to the 84 ECM, yes, youíll need the right chip and ECM for the transmission you have.
    1982 Dark Blue Corvette
    Crossfire Injection | .496"/.495" Cam | AFR Eliminator Heads | EBL | 3.73
    0-60mph in four and a half seconds



    1995 Trans Am
    1 of 1 Trans Am | 100% documented | RPOs 48U, MN6, and GU6
    1982 Chevrolet Corvette , 350 2k RPM Stall Converter + Updgraded Transmission + Governor Set For 5,450rpm Shifts 3.73 Code 42 Dark Mettalic Blue with a twist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wheel Swap! I want newer corvette rims
    By Sheldon Kennington in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-29-08, 09:24 PM
  2. Wheel Swap! I want newer corvette rims
    By Sheldon Kennington in forum C4 Corvette ZR-1
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-08, 01:45 PM
  3. Corvette Swap/meets
    By Don Rich in forum C5 General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-05, 08:22 AM
  4. Camaro to Corvette engine swap
    By RLP in forum C3 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-04-02, 07:55 AM
  5. Corvette radio swap?
    By malc350 in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-26-02, 05:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •