• How to make the fender wells look better?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Nassau Blue Vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yup. I actually put it in an empty simple green spray bottle because the Armor All I had was one of those bulk refill bottles. After washing the car I just spray it in the fender wells and forget it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Toms01 View Post
    Mine looks good even after I wash the car the next time, but I usually hit it again lightly. Sounds to me like you had better paint them, it's pretty apparent that you would rather paint. I doubt you'd be happy with the undercarriage spray. Me, I'd rather it be the way it came from the factory.
    Yeah, I'm thinking painting is the best way. I know after I sanded the paint overspray off with the steel wool, that you can see alot of flow lines in the plastic.

I was thinking of the rubberized coating, but I don't think I'd like the look. And once that stuff is on there, it is on there. I'm gonna check out the Krylon flat black paint for plastic.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I believe that will be your best option.

Shan, do you find that Armor All causes the black plastic to go "gray" if not used continuously? That's what I found, so I stopped using it. As long as I kept the AA on there it was good, but if I got a little lax in applying it would turn gray. The VRT from Adams doesn't seem to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Shan, do you find that Armor All causes the black plastic to go "gray" if not used continuously? That's what I found, so I stopped using it. As long as I kept the AA on there it was good, but if I got a little lax in applying it would turn gray. The VRT from Adams doesn't seem to do that.
    Do you use the VRT on the interior as well? I have some 303 protectant that I used on my hood seal. But it left the hood seal shinny. Which I was looking for a more matte finish, especially on the interior dash pieces.

I had used Armor All inside in the past, and it left a haze and white streaks on the plastic. So, I've been looking for something to clean all the crap up, then something to protect it.

I had been checking out the different venders I've been recommended. I was looking at getting it all from the same place, but I may have to break that up. As I had planned on also getting a carpet cleaner, and the Chemical Guys say their carpet cleaner also kills bacteria and mold and odor. Which I figure is a plus since I've had a water leak under the carpet that has caused mold growth. No other carpet cleaner I've seen says thiers also kills mold and bacteria, which also kills odor.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

VRT is the product you want. Not a glossy finish at all, just a natural looking shine. Here's a picture of the dash of my 99 Silverado (I don't have one of my Vette) VRT only about a week ago.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Mine has never had anything on the inside but a few drops of Johnson Baby Shampoo on a warm damp cloth and Meguires Gold Class Leather Cleaner Conditioner on the seats!! About every 9-12 months I steam pressure wash and I use Liquid Ice by Turtle Wax on the complete exterior of the car,engine compartment,under carriage and all! (Except the brake rotors!)
    Oh Yeah,I want 3 coats on her too Biff!

It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    2015 Yellow
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Very, very pretty ride, Junk!!!

Corvette(s)
    2000 Nassau Blue Vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I only use it when I go to a car show which isn't that often so I havent noticed any graying yet.

I did some research over the weekend and found that if you lower the car so you cant see in the wheel wells you can't see the dirt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by c5y2k View Post
    I only use it when I go to a car show which isn't that often so I havent noticed any graying yet.

I did some research over the weekend and found that if you lower the car so you cant see in the wheel wells you can't see the dirt.
    Mine is a C4, so you can see the wheel wells easily when you pop the hood. On mine though, it is crappy looking from a previous repaint that left overspray on the wheel wells. And obviously it wasn't prepped, and there are places where the paint has chipped off. I'm gonna strip them and paint them as the one I already stripped looks like a dull gray.

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by joshwilson3 View Post
    I'm gonna strip them and paint them as the one I already stripped looks like a dull gray.
    Actually from the factory the panels are kinda dull gray,I just clean them up and Ice them!
    If they are painted they look Candy coated like somebody is trying to cover up something!But what do I know I'm a dealer other than if somebody dose a rattle can detail on one,I won't buy it!! It's too much work to clean that crap off and make them look factory and un-molested!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    Actually from the factory the panels are kinda dull gray,I just clean them up and Ice them!
    If they are painted they look Candy coated like somebody is trying to cover up something!But what do I know I'm a dealer other than if somebody dose a rattle can detail on one,I won't buy it!! It's too much work to clean that crap off and make them look factory and un-molested!!
    What is that pic supposed to be of? A crappy paint job, or the Ice job?

Here's a pic of the one I stripped the paint overspray off of. It looks almost white.

And did you ever find a good closeup pic of where you are putting your jack stands at?

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by joshwilson3 View Post
    What is that pic supposed to be of? A crappy paint job, or the Ice job?

Here's a pic of the one I stripped the paint overspray off of. It looks almost white.

And did you ever find a good closeup pic of where you are putting your jack stands at?
    Actually that wasn't the photo I wanted,I was looking for one that had had the ICE wiped off after it dried!!
    I take apart and media blast some stuff that is really nasty looking, it turns the fiberglass pieces kinda white till I clear coat them with clear with flatting base in it,makes them purdy much look original!!

Try a little clear on a spot and see if that gives you the look your looking for!!
    I haven't found any photos of just the stands position yet under a C4,I know I should have some.Just haven't run up on them yet!
    junk!~!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    Actually that wasn't the photo I wanted,I was looking for one that had had the ICE wiped off after it dried!!
    I take apart and media blast some stuff that is really nasty looking, it turns the fiberglass pieces kinda white till I clear coat them with clear with flatting base in it,makes them purdy much look original!!

Try a little clear on a spot and see if that gives you the look your looking for!!
    I haven't found any photos of just the stands position yet under a C4,I know I should have some.Just haven't run up on them yet!
    When you are talking clear, are you talking about painting them with a clear coat, or you talking about clear wax? If I paint them, I'll just paint them black out of a can. I don't have any special tools to properly paint them, I just use cans.

Do you think that back to black stuff I've seen mentioned might work? I may be willing to try something before I go paint them, but I don't want to waste money either.

Corvette(s)
    1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

This is gonna sound crazy but it totally works. To make your plastics shine and your dark plastic darker...use PLEDGE Furniture Polish. Seriously, it works. My taillights are the reddest ones you will ever see. Makes the plastic shine. Inside my fenders is almost pitch black after I use it. Just be sure to wipe any off the paint. Leaves smudges if you don't. I got this tip from a guy that has shown vehicles and won trophies for years. Has the full trophy room to prove it. IT works. Cheap too...

Corvette(s)
    96 Collectors Edition LT4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 93Rubie View Post
    To make your plastics shine and your dark plastic darker...use PLEDGE Furniture Polish. Seriously, it works.
    I remember using Pledge on my cars that had vinyl tops. Many years ago. I forgot about using it. You are absolutely correct! The stuff works great!

AFTER USING PLEDGE, PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO SAVE THE !
    An attendee at all the CruiseFests including the one which never happened.

Autosig (Shadow) A

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast