• folks, i really have a somewhat dumb and silly question here....

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default folks, i really have a somewhat dumb and silly question here....

i am a very proud new corvette owner. my desire is to keep my car as original as possible. with that said, i am fighting myself on one thing through, window tinting on my convertible vette!

i know that i am being way toooooo silly about this. i have had every car prior to my vette window tinted. do you folks have window tinting?

i know that this would only enhance and protect the car somewhat. i just do not want to spoil the originality. i am 50/50 on this one.

have i now gone nuts in my old age? i realize that there are more issues in life to worry about!! .....lol

thanks folks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by texastim View Post
    i am a very proud new corvette owner. my desire is to keep my car as original as possible. with that said, i am fighting myself on one thing through, window tinting on my convertible vette!

i know that i am being way toooooo silly about this. i have had every car prior to my vette window tinted. do you folks have window tinting?

i know that this would only enhance and protect the car somewhat. i just do not want to spoil the originality. i am 50/50 on this one.

have i now gone nuts in my old age? i realize that there are more issues in life to worry about!! .....lol

thanks folks!!
    If YOU want it, then go for it. You can always have the tint removed later; so in my opinion originality (as in "permanency") is not really affected.
    1969 Corvette Tri-Power Convertible (build date December 16, 1968),
    L-68 427, 400 hp (3963512 block; 3964290 heads), Muncie M-21, Monza Red, Black Top & Black Interior. VB&P Gymkhana 550 lbs/inch coil springs, Bilstein Sport shocks.
    In progress... full body-off restoration.

1972 Camaro Z-28, Rally Sport, Cranberry Red/Black Stripes.
    LS-6 454/425, Muncie M-21, 9.8:1 CR, Lunati 60204 Voodoo Cam (Dur 276/284, Lift .554/.572), Holley 3310-3 (750 CFM), Weiand 8019 Stealth Intake, 3.73:1 Rear, Flowtech Headers 1.75" Primaries, Chambered Tube Exhaust, Custom Works GT Coil Springs, Hotchkis Sport Shocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It wasnt until I went through the first NJ DMV inspection that i found out that I had (lightly) tinted side windows. It was a near perfect job and ever so light. the inspector was all grins when he told me I had to remove the tinting. i think i could have fought it since they allow a certain small amount total, but I was not about to play games. So i had to remove it. I searched the web for the best way to remove it and it was far easier than anyone had described. check with your local laws..... or do it after inspection like the others do. get a medium tint and you will be fine. I dont think it will affect your value one cent. Even if you enter it in shows for judging they may only take off a few points, if any.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

TINT, TINT, TINT
    Billy

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

thanks folks!!
    I think you should do whatever make YOU happy. I just purchased a 1990 ZR-1 that had window tinting film applied to the side and back windows, didn't care for it much. I had a couple of places that were bumped and scratched the film. To me, it was like looking throught a plastic bag (just my two cents). I have removed it from my side windws but am too chicken to do the back window, fear damaging the defroster elements. I have new glass lined up and will swap it out this summer.

Scrrem

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

As stated above, if you want it, then do it. I was feeling the same way as you with upgrading my exhaust. Once I did it, I was happy and glad I did it.The tint can always be removed. I have a guy in my town who will tint your windows for $150., then when your due for inspection, remove the tint and reinstall after inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

thanks folks!!
    When I bought my 2003 I had the side windows tinted 15%, maybe 20%, but the front was left along and the rear hatch is as it came from the factory. you have to be careful as the local laws are very different in parts of the country. I had a professional tint shop do mine, but I so far haven't had a problem getting through state inspection, I take to the dealership once a year and have the state inspection and the oil and filter changed. I likewise, like to keep my Vette 100% stock. Neither my 79 or my 1984 corvette have the windows tinted.

folks, i really have a somewhat dumb and silly question here.... LittleRedFlatBack's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I consider window tinting to be a requirement here in the deep south, but I only install the "legal tint". I don't recall the %, but I'm sure a tinting shop can advise you.

Dennis