Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: What to do?

Corvette(s)
    2004 coup/commemorative edition
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default What to do?

I'm taking my baby on a 2000 mile road trip , how do I keep her nice and clean, automated car wash out of the question what do some of you do to keep your baby looking good.

Don Strausburg

Default Car Care

When I go on a trip the first thing I do BEFORE checking into a motel is find a self serve car wash. I put my quarters in and soap it down real good, especially the front. Use a dood sponge or rag, rinse, dry and your done. Keeps all the bugs and road grime off for that days driving. Good luck.

Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Self Serve Car Wash. Like Don said, find one near where you are staying and wash the car there. I usually carry a couple of brushes or sponges, a water blade, a bottle of 'detail spray', and a towel when traveling just for the clean up. Some hotels I go to that support Corvette shows actually provide water hoses and car wash areas for us but not enough of them. Get a roll of quarters and put them in the car.
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    Murder mysteries!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Definitely bring your own carwash soap, and mitt. I think the chemicals at the self serve are a little harsh. I go back and forth from southwest,Va to the Jersey shore.....I'm a pro. if you put a splash of a good wash soap on the wet mit and wet the car you can wash it with just the min. to start the wash. : 1 put in quarters and wet car and mit, put down wand and wash like a maniac. 2. Add more quarters and rinse. Dont forget to rinse the mit. AND MOST OF ALL >>>>DONT USE THAT CRAP WAX that comes out of those things. You can also use the hose at the fuel pumps at the travel centers, that works good too!! Its truly a circus act but it works.
    Billy

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Take a look at a series of articles right here on the CAC.

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Practical Corvette Care 101

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hib: What do you suggest should be used to UV protect the "clear" roof on a C5??
    Would Armorall be good or some other "body" polish??
    I have seen some pretty nasty ones. I saw one last week that looked like it was cleaned in acid. I assume that the UV did it. It looked all rough and crackly.