$projecthp
  • Choose your weapon: Electronic countermeasures - what is in your arsenal?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Electronic countermeasures - what is in your arsenal?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Radar/Laser Detector

43 81.13%
  • Laser Jammer

6 11.32%
  • Radar Jammer

3 5.66%
  • Photo Blocker Plates

1 1.89%
  • CB Radio

4 7.55%
  • Police Scanner

1 1.89%
  • Other: See my reply

8 15.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Choose your weapon: Electronic countermeasures - what is in your arsenal? JJS's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2013 Triple Black GS, Previous cars: 1971 LT-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 8388 View Post
    Crown Vic
    An engineer I used to work with had an old Crown Vic (former police car) that had the search light and antennae's still attached.

He and a friend blew through a speed trap on the MA-NH border one day and the cops in trap waved to them as they blew by!

Corvette(s)
    Lots of vettes-several b2k's
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    An engineer I used to work with had an old Crown Vic (former police car) that had the search light and antennae's still attached.

He and a friend blew through a speed trap on the MA-NH border one day and the cops in trap waved to them as they blew by!

I think there are a couple of people here, from Dallas, That use the same the same thing. Chris might also do the same.

Corvette(s)
    C7, Crystal Red, 7 Speed, Z51, NPP, CF Roof, Blk W
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Love My Passport 9500i

Installed a 9500i in my 2008 coupe. The feature I like most is I have programed speed trap areas and even school zones to remind me to be more alert. Mounted it on the passenger visor with power from the mirror. Have showed how to wire in a free download on my web site: www.NetWelding.com/Reports_Vette_Info.htm
    Jerry U

Corvette(s)
    2007 Victory Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Cruise Control set at speed limit.
    The shortest distance between two points is under construction. ~ Noelie Altito.

Corvette(s)
    C7, Crystal Red, 7 Speed, Z51, NPP, CF Roof, Blk W
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Victory Red C6 View Post
    Cruise Control set at speed limit.
    Sounds good accept in our area they make money by setting up locations on a rural road going from 55 to 35 in not very obvious or logical from a hazard standpoint! Some communities hire cops for the weekend to make money on out or towners going to the beach! Instant on laser can't be detected in time so the Passport 9500i provides the reminder!
    Jerry

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry U View Post
    Installed a 9500i in my 2008 coupe. The feature I like most is I have programed speed trap areas and even school zones to remind me to be more alert. Mounted it on the passenger visor with power from the mirror. Have showed how to wire in a free download on my web site: www.NetWelding.com/Reports_Vette_Info.htm
    Jerry U

Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

...interesting

Since the advent of the very first X-band police radar in 1965, radar detector manufactures have been playing a cat and mouse game with speed enforcement equipment makers. As police obtained more sophisticated speed detection devices, so too did the anti-detection market develop. The first product released to warn drivers of police speed traps was the radar detector. It essentially "listens" for activity in the frequency police radar operates at, and when detected, alerts the driver via a system of warning tones and/or lights.
    As technology improved, so too did police radar guns, and in 1972 the first "moving radar" was introduced. This allowed the police to monitor traffic whilst mobile, giving more mobility to the officer. It was also around this time that detector makers began experimenting with radar jammers. As opposed to simply detecting a police radar, they tried to prevent a speed reading. Early models were quite successful until the digital radar guns were introduced, as well as the FCC banning all products capable of transmitting (and thus jamming) a radar signal.
    The next development came by the use of the laser speed gun (known as Lidar speed gun), which transmits pulses of lights in order to take a series of distance readings. From these readings a speed can be calculated. Whilst the FCC bans the sale or marketing of radar jammers, laser is controlled by the United States Food and Drug Administration for eye safety. The FCC has nothing to do with light transmission, only microwave (RF) transmission. Therefore a laser jammer is not banned by federal law.
    At the time of writing, around 10 US states have enacted local laws banning the use of laser jammers, leaving the majority of the country open for the myriad of new laser jamming products flooding the market. One such product is designed to compliment an existing laser jammer owner, by concealing the installation.
    The Lift 'n' Hide Stealth Kit is installed in the front of your vehicle and connects directly to your laser jammer/s. A remote switch with LED indication is then mounted somewhere within the driver's reach. The Lift 'n' Hide Stealth kit is a system of actuators that lower and raise the laser jammer units in and out of view. The operator simply flicks the switch down when laser protection is required, and the Lift 'n' Hide kit lowers the jammer modules into place. When they need to hidden, the actuators lift the jammer modules back up, out of view, in less than 0.3 of a second!
    By entering this 'stealth mode' there is no visible evidence of any installation of a laser jammer in your car; even under close scrutiny. Green and red LEDs will display the system's current status (jammers up or down) just like landing gear indication in an aircraft. When the LED is green the jammers are deployed. When the LED is red, the jammers are hidden.
    Whilst it is not recommended the Lift 'n' hide system be used as a means of bypassing the laws of US states that ban the use of a laser jammer, many owners agree even though they may be legal to own and operate in their state, it doesn't mean that 'ol smokey endorses them. With this system, laser jammer owners can be confident that their investment can be legally used, but with the flick of a switch, James Bond style, are retracted from sight.
    About the Author:

Jeremy Morgan of Delonix Radar has researched and tested the latest Radar Detectors on the market, reviewing manufacturer's claims whilst video filming the results. To learn more about the Lift 'n' Hide kit including video footage, visit http://www.delonixradar.com.au/products/lnh.html

Corvette(s)
    '81 Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Overhere in Holland, the radar jammers and speed trap detectors are also forbidden. And as far as I know lifting a radar jammers isn't going to help. In order to block the radar locking signal the jammers sents out a signal. The police here simply searches for this signal even when you're not speeding.

I would say, don't speed or try to leave 5 minutes earlier so you don't have to speed. If you like speeding go to a closed track

Groeten Peter

SurfnSun

Quote Originally Posted by *89x2* View Post

I might be investing in one of these setup's as I was tagged today in what Im calling Operation I-285 crackdown. Of course the black Vette with the big racing stripe was a casualty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by SurfnSun View Post
    I might be investing in one of these setup's as I was tagged today in what Im calling Operation I-285 crackdown. Of course the black Vette with the big racing stripe was a casualty.
    WHAT!!!???!!!???!!!

This is really for people in GA but you may find some of it useful in your state. I am not a lawyer and I am not giving legal advice. Educational use only.

Go to your public library and get a copy of the 2005-2006 edition of the Georgia Criminal and Traffic Law Manual from LexisNexis (ISBN 0-8205-6649-7). This book comes with a CD-ROM that includes annotations, crossreferences, written opinions, and how other cases have been cited.

Here's a good checklist for a defendant to make sure the prosecutor really brings these items to the trial. You can ask for these during discovery or do the trial by ambush and repeatedly motion for a dismissal after each item they cannot produce during the trial. State needs to produce the original document or a certified copy of the original document according to the best evidence rule.

From the Official Code of Georgia Annotated (OCGA):
    * 40-6-187, speeds written on the citiation
    * 40-14-5, radar, daily log, test for accuracy
    * 40-14-17, radar, list of approved devices
    * 40-14-2, certification to use speed detection device, permit
    * 40-14-4, certification of the actual speed detection device, FCC
    * 24-3-17, Dept of Public Safety records and copies of originals
    * 40-14-182, posted or required speed limits
    * 40-14-183, posted or required speed limits
    * 40-6-181, statute for speed limits

Depending on who issued the citiation (state patrol, or county, municipal, campus police) the prosecutor may also need to prove:
    * 40-14-6, warning signs were present and visible
    * 40-14-7, cop is visible for at least 500 feet
    * 40-14-8, citation should be 10 mph above speed limit
    * 40-14-9, road gradient cannot exceed 7%, proximity to signs

Part of this is the CFR defense where you challenge the speed limit based on a valid traffic and engineering survey. But the most serious item for to consider is how are you going to convince a judge to believe your word over the officer's sworn testimony about his visual tracking history?

The case law called Carver v. State basically says while the officer's word is admissible, the court has decided opinion testimony is very unreliable.

CARVER v. THE STATE
    Court of Appeals of Georgia
    208 Ga. App. 405; 430 S.E.2d 790; 1993 Ga. App. LEXIS 492; 93 Fulton County D. Rep. 1564
    No. A92A2205
    March 19, 1993, Decided

I wish I had known about this case law before my trial for speeding. It came down to the officer's word against mine. I told the judge I knew there was a case that said something about the officer's word was not enough, but I could not find it in my notes (and of course I was found guilty). By using this case law to say the officer's word alone is considered by the court (many times) to be unreliable, I probably could've convinced the judge to acquit.

There is another case law called Hardaway v. State that says the officer must be able to actually estimate your speed. Otherwise using his word as evidence is insufficient to support a conviction.

HARDAWAY v. THE STATE
    Court of Appeals of Georgia
    207 Ga. App. 150; 427 S.E.2d 527; 1993 Ga. App. LEXIS 109; 93 Fulton County D. Rep. 363
    No. A92A2233
    January 22, 1993, Decided

If you want to use this case law then you must make sure the officer did not provide an actual speed when he guessed you were speeding. As we always say, you would be wise to hire a lawyer or at least pick up the phone and ask questions. You might find an attorney who will not charge you for the first 15-30 minutes of consultation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

http://guysoflidar.com/faq.html#1

Are Radar Detectors Legal?

In the US, Radar detectors are legal for passenger vehicles in 49 states. Radar detectors are illegal in Virginia and Washington DC. Federal Law prohibits the use of radar detectors in all commercial vehicles over 10000 pounds. Radar detector use is also illegal on military bases.

In Canada, only Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick allow the use of radar detectors.

http://guysoflidar.com/faq.html#3

Are Laser Jammers Legal?

The following states are known to have legislation prohibiting the use of laser jammers:

California
    Colorado
    Illinois (as of 1/1/2006)
    Minnesota
    Nebraska
    Oklahoma
    Utah
    Virginia
    Washington DC

Corvette(s)
    2002 Blue z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Common sense for the win.

The closest ive been was when i was driving about 135kmh and beside me in the left lane was a Mazda 3 probably going about 140. By some stroke of luck he gets nailed and i dont even though im driving the Vette. The cop was at the top of a bridge and i assume that i was saved either by the guy beside me, or because he couldnt tag me since i was lower. In any event... its nice to avoid a ticket and it makes you realise to keep your eyes peeled and keep the speeding for when you can see everything a long way off.

SurfnSun

Quote Originally Posted by *89x2* View Post
    WHAT!!!???!!!???!!!
    I know...now you know why I was a little bit foul in my email last night

40-14-8, citation should be 10 mph above speed limit
    Does 27mph count?

SurfnSun

Quote Originally Posted by Vettepirate View Post
    Common sense for the win.
    Im guessing youve never driven in Atlanta. I285 is the loop...55mph speed limit. Typicall if youre going less than 70mph, people are flipping you off, damn near rear ending you, etc.

Yes I was outpacing the crowd by a little but its not like this car isn't a rolling target either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I know...now you know why I was a little bit foul in my email last night

Does 27mph count?
    No worries - and yes, that counts

Which car?? Your Vette, or the Jetta
    Yes I was outpacing the crowd by a little but its not like this car isn't a rolling target either.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast