$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SYTECH

Default Alcohol Injection With The B2K Cars

I am getting ready to install an alcohol injection system on #36

Premium unleaded is only 91 Octane in California ($2.80 per gallon), and since the B2K's were originally tuned for 92 plus, i either have to stay out of max boost, back off the boost to a lower number, add an octane booster, or mix in some 100 Octane unleaded race gas ($5.00 per gallon)

I installed alcohol systems in both of my Grand Nationals and loved the ability to run 23 psi boost on 91 octane gas with less than 1.0 degrees of knock retard

I don't plan on running #36 at 23 psi but I will crank it up to 15 - 17 psi and see how it reacts

The newer systems are progressive (small spray at low boost, big spray at high boost), have adjustible turn on start points, have low level (alcohol) warning lights, and have test buttons (to check the system before you take off for an evenings fun).

The Alky bottle (1 gallon, 1/2 gallon, or smaller) can be mounted in numerous locations, and have either (1) or (2) steel braded hose(s) that runs to a point in the intake tract (before the throttle body) and uses smaller nitrous like jets for spraying / atomization of the alky

A small controller could be mounted in the center console, glove box, or exposed under the dash, etc. depending upon the desires of the owner

1 gallon of denatured alcohol (Home Depot) or methonol runs about $10 - $15.00 and when dilluted with water and some Klotz upper end lubricant would probably last the better part of a month (if you don't get into long term boost to often)

The intake cooling change is incredible

If you place your hand onto the throttle body on a warmed up engine, it is pretty damn hot to the touch

When you push the test button and spray the alcohol injection and put your hand in the same spot, it is really cold. I know that the change is only temporary, but in a short race, you only need the cool, dense air charge for 15 to 30 seconds anyway

I put several years and probably 30,000 miles of alcohol use on my Grand Nationals without a problem........

How about some comments from the B2K wizards on what I am proposing prior to me making the plunge

Thanks

Ray

90Callaway

I think that sounds like a solid plan. I've considered it myself. Are you doing a home grown setup or going with a kit? I've heard good things about the ones from Snow Performance.

http://www.snowperformance.net/

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

What kind of alcohol will you use?
    Methanol, ethanol or denatured?
    Hib Halverson

Corvette(s)
    (2) Callaway's (2) ZR1 (1) supercharged 35th
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Denatured mixes well with water.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

or mix in some 100 Octane unleaded race gas ($5.00 per gallon)
    What ever you do dont put leaded gas in a vehicle that uses O2 sensors because it will ruin them.

SYTECH

Redvett,

I still have the Cats on my car so no leaded race gas for me

And I can get unleaded locally (5 gallon cans) up to 104 octane but the price is higher than 100 at the pump

Denso makes a great O2 sensor that is lead tolerant that most of the Grand National guys have switched to

Hib,

I have used denatured alcohol in the past with great results, but just as many people have used methonol and prefer it over the denatured. I'll go with whatever is cheapest and locally available

SMC has a great kit and Razors PAC kit is also a great setup

All the kits appear to be around 300 - 400 dollars unless you build your own

Later everyone,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Sounds like you may have found the solution to your worries on the cheap gas - I can't believe 91 is the best that Cali. has

93 oct. is the norm here on the East Coast

Please keep us posted
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by SYTECH
    Redvett,

I still have the Cats on my car so no leaded race gas for me

And I can get unleaded locally (5 gallon cans) up to 104 octane but the price is higher than 100 at the pump

Denso makes a great O2 sensor that is lead tolerant that most of the Grand National guys have switched to

Hib,

I have used denatured alcohol in the past with great results, but just as many people have used methonol and prefer it over the denatured. I'll go with whatever is cheapest and locally available

SMC has a great kit and Razors PAC kit is also a great setup

All the kits appear to be around 300 - 400 dollars unless you build your own

Later everyone,

Ray

Corvette(s)
    1990 Callaway Aerobody
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

This is something I have been investigating lately. I have seen the website for Snow's unit and the documentation for the BlowerWorks unit.

Anyone have any pro's and con's on either.

Steve