Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    About 10 tons of C4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default New Flying Mile Airport Reply

It looks like its a definate possibility... Here is the email from the airport. I will be glad to talk to the manager for us, but it would probably be better to get NASA on this and see what their interest in hosting another event and brining in the other cars to our part of the state would be before I say anything else or ask anything of this airport at this point....

Anyone want to talk to NASA for me, please do so and let me know here...... If not, I would be glad to get together with JP of 21 century, as he was very serious in setting up another one mile for his many high dollar customers and combining it together for us N. Texas people. This is only a 45 mile drive from Plano.... Very close!

Our foot is in the door on their other runway and its probably pretty good if I remember right...

Mike Shahan wrote:

Matt,

We have an 8,000' runway that is currently closed that may work. We would be interested in discussing hosting this event with you if you can use that runway. You will not be able to use the 9,000' runway.

Please let me know if you are still interested.

Mike Shahan
    Airport Director
    Grayson County Airport
    4700 Airport Drive
    Denison, Texas 75020
    903-786-2904
    www.co.grayson.tx.us/airport/airmain.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

...now this is a runway

Doubt we could get it closed for a speed driving event though
    (although they do close parts of it for special events like "airplane pulls" - by man )

runway image:

Corvette(s)
    '93 6-Speed & '87 Callaway
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

On a "safety" note-- I'd pull NASA into it. Like the SCCA, they are a sanctioned racing organization and have the know how and how to's all under control. Though, the event would probably be more widely accepted amongst the muscle car crowd if a Lingenfelter presence was on-board.

This hasn't even entered into the equation yet-- insurance. Sooner or later someone at the airport is going to ask you to cough it up. From what I've seen, most track rentals require a certificate to be issued 30 days before an event. Not to put the cart before the horse-- but this could be a potentially huge expense that will need to be passed onto the entrants. My advice is to talk to any of the local hotshoe car clubs that run open road course days at TWS and ask them if they can assign this airport deal onto their policy (for a couple pesos of course). This will lessen the red tape and give the airport a sense of well being early on.

Corvette(s)
    About 10 tons of C4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I agree.... If anyone has a contact at NASA... Please give me the email and I will forward this stuff on and see if they are players.... If not, I am certain that there are a few clubs that are here that would be part of an event like this and make it financially possible with all involved... Just have to find someone to manage it....

Nice picture above...!

White 68

Heres email reply from NASATX

Thanks for the link. It appears that this airfield would work. We would like to go ahead and get the ball rolling on this in preparation for next year.

Please give me a call so that we can discuss further.

817-243-2286
    Deanna
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: NASA TEXAS
    Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 9:15 AM
    Subject: Re: Hosting a Texas one mile event

Heres another site to consider http://http://www.co.grayson.tx.us/airport/AirMap.htm 9000ftx135....its the longest we have found ....
    ----- Original Message -----
    To: Tim Houston
    Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 5:18 PM
    Subject: Re: Hosting a Texas one mile event

Hi Tim,

That is great news regarding the event. Are you a driver or a rider?

NASA TX & J&S Matus International would be very interested in working with you to get an event, or several, run in the Dallas area. We are also looking at several locations across the state.

The Texas Mile, recently known as the High Speed Shoot Out, is owned by NASA TX / J&S Matus International. We already have the infrastructure & equipment in place to put on such an event. It is imperative that if an event of this kind is going to be put on, the location/facility must have at minimum 1 1/2 mile of run space, as well as, plenty of space for safety crews, parking, paddock, spectators, etc. Do you already know of a location/facility that is willing to work with us on holding such an event?

There are many costs associated with putting on such an event and since every facility is different, we need to know the costs associated with renting a facility before we could determine the minimum number of cars/motorcycles needed to put on such an event. Any idea how many people you know of or have spoken with, in the DFW area, that would be interested in attending this event? We would also need commitments or registrations in advance to ensure that the event will pay for itself.

The Texas Mile was created for the Driver/Rider and we want it to be a success, so any input is greatly appreciated.

Feel free to contact me by phone if you would like to discuss further in detail. I can be reached at 817-243-2286.

Deanna Lewis
    Marketing & Promotions Director
    www.nasatx.com
    info@nasatx.com
    817-243-2286

Corvette(s)
    About 10 tons of C4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Great... I also sent this info to NASA on F39, contacts, etc... If they follow up, it should be a go! I will also call the Director in a few days to see if NASA follows up. This can be a big event being around dallas... THats for sure!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by Ultra Slow
    Great... This can be a big event being around dallas... THats for sure!
    What about Dulles also, Ultra??????????

There are three runways at Dulles:

1L/19R - 11,500 feet

1R/19L - 11,500 feet

12/30 - 10,500 feet

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

CC- the Dallas guys are trying to set up a local event to their territory.

Maybe we need to set up a NE Event?

Corvette(s)
    About 10 tons of C4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Dulles! Now that would take some major pull.... Better plan on bringing out 500,000+ people to afford that as Airshows do at 30 bucks a ticket. I dont know, but I think it would be way expensive.

Dont think there is enough people who give two flips about how fast cars go in one mile to do that kind of business... Possibly one day we can get this type of racing to replace 1/4 mile, but thats a long way off.

I am sure there are some airports in your are outside of town that would be perfect for this though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yeah - Dulles is too major - more... (Dulles was where the runway was long enough to land the Concorde )

Town Airport name ICAO IATA Usage Customs Runway IFR Rwylgth

Ft Belvoir Davison Aaf KDAA DAA Mil. Paved Yes 5500 ft
    Manassas Manassas Regl/Davis KHEF MNZ Civ. Paved Yes 5700 ft
    Richmond Richmond Intl KRIC RIC Civ. Paved Yes 9000 ft

and just as long as Dulles
    Oceana Oceana Nas KNTU NTU Mil. Paved Yes 11900 ft

Corvette(s)
    (2) Callaway's (2) ZR1 (1) supercharged 35th
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I still think that every now and then we should have a late, late night private tour of our race track.

I could buy one of these :

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Originally posted by 8388
    I still think that every now and then we should have a late, late night private tour of our race track.

I could buy one of these :

Leave the alien tracking devices outta this!

Corvette(s)
    About 10 tons of C4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I spoke to Deanna from NASA via email and she is on the F39 Grayson County airport for the next event. I also gave her the info for the Greenville Majors Airport as the only other possible N. Texas alternative I could find should the Grayson County Airport not pan out..... Lets see what happens!

White 68

I,m still looking into NAS Dallas also ,but have been busy last 2 days .... ...Hope this pans out should be a good event ..

Fishman

This is in the 'Callaway Forum', but would this be open to all Vettes? It sounds great and I would LOVE to participate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast