$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    TurboLuigi

Default Comparisons - cost per horse

Just for discussion, I created this Spreadsheet to compare the cost of the price per HP from several new cars on the market based by MSRP and sorted the list in ascending order by Price per HP. Note that this is strictly comparing price per HP and does not take into account interior trim or other options (brakes, suspension, etc).

In this respect it is great to see just what a value the Callaway SC package is and rather amusing to see the Smart car fall just below the price per HP of a ZR1

-Luigi

Corvette(s)
    In the market
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Neat table, though how did you come up with an MSRP for 150K for the ZR1? According to Rob's Official 2009 Corvette Pricing Released thread, the ZR1 starts at 103K, and fully loaded, it's around 120K.

After looking at this table though, it makes me wonder how Saleen can get away with selling the S7 for half a million dollars. I am surprised the Lotus ranked so high too.

Jason

TurboLuigi

twiget,

Base prices were provided by "Yahoo Autos" though for the Corvette numbers I went to the GM website and priced all but the ZR1. The ZR1 as has been discussed at other forums, I have seen posts of cars selling up to $100K over the MSRP of $103K. Based on those posts and my experience pre-ordering an SSR which once available the dealer wanter $10K markup, I went with a SWAG of $50K over MSRP.

Price per HP is not the only metric one can use to rank these, but the lowest price per HP is something appealing to everyone if they do not care about the other features. As I stated interior trim and other options makes the comparison unfair though still interesting.

Other interesting objective comparisons might include: Price per pound, Price per acceleration time (from 0-60), etc.

Subjective comparisons which are far more difficult to compare include, style, quality, materials, etc.

Like I said, it is for interesting discussion and does point to the value that both Corvette and Callaway bring to the market.

-Luigi

Corvette(s)
    1989 B2K Callaway/ 1966 Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Luigi,
    What a great chart, thanks for putting that together! Just goes to to show you what a deal the 1LT is!
    I am quoted as agreeing with you on the ZR1. I said at Bloomington, imagine if you had 100K for a ZR1,,,,, you are not even close. I agree with you it will take 150 early on!

Corvette(s)
    In the market
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by TurboLuigi View Post
    twiget,

Base prices were provided by "Yahoo Autos" though for the Corvette numbers I went to the GM website and priced all but the ZR1. The ZR1 as has been discussed at other forums, I have seen posts of cars selling up to $100K over the MSRP of $103K. Based on those posts and my experience pre-ordering an SSR which once available the dealer wanter $10K markup, I went with a SWAG of $50K over MSRP.

-Luigi
    I'm not disputing that the ZR1 will go for way over MSRP. My point is that it is an apples to oranges comparison if you use MSRP for some cars and market value for others.

Besides, if you use the MSRP numbers (~115K for a fully optioned one) for the ZR1, its price per HP drops to ~$180/HP. That puts it smack dab between the Z06 and the Jaguar.

Jason

TurboLuigi

Quote Originally Posted by twiget View Post
    I'm not disputing that the ZR1 will go for way over MSRP. My point is that it is an apples to oranges comparison if you use MSRP for some cars and market value for others.

Besides, if you use the MSRP numbers (~115K for a fully optioned one) for the ZR1, its price per HP drops to ~$180/HP. That puts it smack dab between the Z06 and the Jaguar.

Jason
    Point well taken but MSRP is unrealistic if you can't buy it for MSRP. I should also adjust the Ferrari and the Lambo higher since they could not be purchased for MSRP (assumption) even though they are on the ridiculous part of the chart but since I have no knowledge of their actual sales prices when NEW.

In general, the ZR1 ratio is realistic as are the other Corvettes.

-Luigi

Corvette(s)
    1986 Black Coupe RPO Z51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I can only afford 100HP for a C16 then

funny that you did not mention the Speedster in that comparision list.

It looks awesome and its a very rare car ,
    but I'd rather spent my money on 2 fully loaded C16 instead 1 speedster.
    or a C16 and a ZR1
    my 1986 Coupe for sale

----------------------------------

Corvette(s)
    1987 Callaway Twin Turbo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The Smart is not so smart. Thanks for the cool spreadsheet Luigi. Callaways have always been a great value!

Corvette(s)
    In the market
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDragon View Post
    The Smart is not so smart. Thanks for the cool spreadsheet Luigi. Callaways have always been a great value!
    Perhaps for a HP/$ comparison, the Smart is not the best car to buy. I bet if the table was redone though, on a MPG/$ ratio, the Smart's combined 36mpg would put it at the top of this high HP list.

Jason

Corvette(s)
    Callaway SC Z06 Z16, Vintage 64 roade racer, and ?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Perhaps for a HP/$ comparison, the Smart is not the best car to buy. I bet if the table was redone though, on a MPG/$ ratio, the Smart's combined 36mpg would put it at the top of this high HP list.

Jason
    Luigi,

Thanks for taking the time to make such a cool price sheet.
    I plan on sharing it with the Mrs.........

Its a bargain, we HAVE/NEED to buy one at these prices !!

And the Vette gets great MPGs

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by TurboLuigi View Post
    Just for discussion, I created this Spreadsheet to compare the cost of the price per HP from several new cars on the market based by MSRP and sorted the list in ascending order by Price per HP. Note that this is strictly comparing price per HP and does not take into account interior trim or other options (brakes, suspension, etc).

In this respect it is great to see just what a value the Callaway SC package is and rather amusing to see the Smart car fall just below the price per HP of a ZR1

-Luigi

No thanks on the "Smart" car. I would feel like a goon driving that little "car"

Corvettes have long been a great buy for the buck - now, more than ever, with their stellar MPG, they are flat-out amazing!!!

Neat table, though how did you come up with an MSRP for 150K for the ZR1? According to Rob's Official 2009 Corvette Pricing Released thread, the ZR1 starts at 103K, and fully loaded, it's around 120K.

After looking at this table though, it makes me wonder how Saleen can get away with selling the S7 for half a million dollars. I am surprised the Lotus ranked so high too.

Jason

Jason, the dealers I have spoken with, are looking for $65,000 - $85,000 over MSRP of the ZR1 this year. Many have gotten only one car at their store and even the ones with 3 or 4 coming, still see this as supply and demand. For that reason, the Callaway C16 continues to look even better!!! More power, big wheels, brakes, touring / perf. suspension, better interior, and for less money!

Corvette(s)
    In the market
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by *89x2* View Post
    Jason, the dealers I have spoken with, are looking for $65,000 - $85,000 over MSRP of the ZR1 this year. Many have gotten only one car at their store and even the ones with 3 or 4 coming, still see this as supply and demand. For that reason, the Callaway C16 continues to look even better!!! More power, big wheels, brakes, touring / perf. suspension, better interior, and for less money!
    The dealer I bought my C6 from is getting 2 ZR1's. They are both sold, the first one went for 170K. I realize the ZR1 will not sell for MSRP, and yes, all things considered, the Callaway is an awesome car.

What I am saying is that in order to have a valid apples to apples comparison, the prices for all the cars in the chart need to be obtained in the same manner. If MSRP is the metric of choice, then MSRP needs to be the metric for all of the cars on the list. If you want, add an (*) to the ZR1 entry, same as Luigi did for the Ferrari and Lamborghini.

Jason