$projecthp
  • Could Active Aerodynamics Be Coming to the Corvette?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Active aerodynamics on autos has for a very long time. Jim Hall had manually activated wings and other devices on his Chaparral sports cars back in the 1960's. After a major failure of the moveable wing on one of them, the Can-Am sanctioning body outlawed moveable aerodynamic devices. Similar rules exist in nearly every racing organization for similar reasons. Of course, simply allowing the builders to install stronger hinges and other control devices would have mostly eliminated the failures. Even today, there are fixed wing failures on race cars and they cause big crashes if they happen in the wrong place.

One of the active aero devices I really liked on sports racing cars of the '60s & '70s was the flippers on the outer ends of the spoilers/wings. These were controlled by the rear suspension travel. Under heavy breaking, the rear moved up and so did the flippers which pushed the rear end back down. Hard acceleration produced the opposite effect - the flippers flattened out. Cornering caused the rear suspension of move differently on each side and that affected the flippers differently - the inside flipper moved up to help push that side of the car down. All without any input from the driver.

But, there is nothing to prohibit active aero on street cars and many have taken advantage of this. Some are as simple as wings or spoilers that pop up on the back of the car when it reaches a certain speed. Some times, the driver can elect to deploy the spoilers/wings at all speeds. Others are much more complex. And, that's part of the problem - active aero is complex and can have many failure modes. Most current street cars have that have active aero only balance the car front to rear. Splitting the rear wing and the front active components to adjust left and right as well as front to rear would be a real benefit to weekend racers and car control in general.

Active components on the rear of the car require equally active components on the front to keep the down force (I assume you want downforce unless you intend to build a flying car) balanced. And they can't afford to fail.

I think GM and Corvette should move to active aero on the Vette. They'd done about everything else they can do with the current platform.

[FONT=comic sans ms]I know and I agree.. My thought was what type or form of active aerodynamics.
    Aerodynamics goes past driver or sensor adjustable wings. As you said, they've been around since the 1960s. As you said Chevy has done about everything they can do with the platform; so why not take it a step higher than a wing.?? The front spoiler can be active as well as the rear.

Depending on the search results, in 1990 or 93, the CERV III demonstrated the affects of lowering a vehicle at speeds. Add active or self adjusting spoilers on the front and read adds to it. Time in the wind tunnels decreases drag. Until the Corvette engineers show us, active aerodynamics is a buzz word..
    Whoosh, and blur

Corvette(s)
    2001 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Interesting post, Kpic...not sure if your post turned into goobly goop or my browser went south...

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Posted deleted
    Whoosh, and blur

Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Not sure why the link in the previous post is so wild...

Mac
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Fixed / deleted.

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I noticed a simple copy and paste ended up pasting what wasn't copied..
    Whoosh, and blur

Corvette(s)
    1973 coupe L82 (gone as casualty of divorce)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Let's see if I can get that link to work...

Mac

Jalopnik Link
    Common sense is like deodorant. The folks who need it most never seem to use it and there's no polite way to tell them.

Could Active Aerodynamics Be Coming to the Corvette? Scottsredvette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1989 Bright Red Convertible (gone) 98 Jaguar XK8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post

It begs the question... why would GM choose an employee over someone who specializes in running the 'Ring?

Mac
    In the back of my mind, I always wondered why Chevy didn't use a professional driver which started me thinking. I bet they did it on purpose so those who are interested in Corvettes think, Gee, he's just an engineer (and a very talented driver) and if this is what the car can do with a normal person, then I can do the same.
    I don't like making plans for the day. The word "premeditated" is not useful when it gets thrown around a courtroom.

Likes Mac liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12