• Meet the Man Behind the Design of the Next Generation C8 Corvette

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Meet the Man Behind the Design of the Next Generation C8 Corvette

When Ed Welburn, GM's Global Design Chief, retired in July of 2016, he was replaced by Australian-born Mike Simcoe who will be responsible for shaping the design of the next generation, C8 Corvette.

Simcoe was responsible for revitalizing the Holden Monaro and has now taken the reigns as GM's head of global design. As Ed Welburn did before him with the design of the C7 Corvette, Simcoe will have the ultimate say over the overall design of the C8 Corvette.

In a recent interview with Drive, an Australian automotive publication, Simcoe admitted that having the ability to influence the design of the legendary Corvette is a daunting and exciting task and comes with much more pressure than his work reviving the Monaro.

"The level of excitement is the same," he said. "But realistically the level of design is just as involved in every vehicle they do. Certainly there is a lot more emotional pressure to designing a Corvette. If I likened it to the Monaro the emotional pressure there was in its early days nobody knew about, it was kind of exciting....You're dealing with an icon that has been consistently successful," Simcoe told media at the 2017 Detroit motor show.

While Simcoe wouldn't give up any details on the next generation Corvette, he did he say that he wasn't opposed to moving the design away from the Corvette's traditional proportions.

For now, we'll just have to be content with enjoying any spy photos of the next generation Corvette we may see running around!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails c8-corvette-designer-jpg  

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu
    Likes Mac, AussieCorvetteNut liked this post
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Corvette(s)
    1984 Two-tone Blue Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default I hope that they can work through the Trademark Issues and finally bring the Vette here.

GM has already registered the trade mark "Zora" in Australia, but is having problems getting the Corvette's badge trade marked, as the boneheads here believe that the Chev emblem looks too much like the emblem of the Red Cross...WTF!

I can't wait to see the Vette and its cousin the Camaro here, but my biggest concern is that when they do come...(and they will) Holden will want to put its badge on them.
    I would rather they not even bother bringing them here if it must have the Holden badge on it...it must have a Chev Badge on it period!

I know there was talk about making Corvette a Brand as opposed to a model of vehicle for the Global Domination!

At least with Mike Simcoe in the chair, we may see more of a move to a right hand drive version for the Vette and the Camaro than we have done in the past...(may as well bring the Silverado here too).

On the note of the Holden brand here in Oz, I would prefer that they respectfully retire the brand.
    We no longer manufacture motor vehicles in this country, why do we need our own brand?

The Holden history is one of Aussie manufacturing (and jobs) and to carry on a brand and models that were previously manfactured by now out of work people, is disrepectful to them and those in the past.
    The Holden brand should be retired.

Hey, you guys have great access to a great American Sports Car, it is truely a great car that should be available on a global stage.
    I have loved them since I saw an 82 Collector's Edition when I was 7 years old...long time to be in love with a car (oh crap 35 years).

I just wish it was available here.

...besides if you don't send it then we will be over run with Mustangs
    Last edited by AussieCorvetteNut; 02-07-17 at 03:07 PM.
    Likes Mac liked this post

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Wonder if he ever worked for Lambo?
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech
    Likes AussieCorvetteNut, Mac liked this post

Corvette(s)
    2008 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by AussieCorvetteNut View Post
    GM has already registered the trade mark "Zora" in Australia, but is having problems getting the Corvette's badge trade marked, as the boneheads here believe that the Chev emblem looks too much like the emblem of the Red Cross...WTF!

I can't wait to see the Vette and its cousin the Camaro here, but my biggest concern is that when they do come...(and they will) Holden will want to put its badge on them.
    I would rather they not even bother bringing them here if it must have the Holden badge on it...it must have a Chev Badge on it period!

I know there was talk about making Corvette a Brand as opposed to a model of vehicle for the Global Domination!

At least with Mike Simcoe in the chair, we may see more of a move to a right hand drive version for the Vette and the Camaro than we have done in the past...(may as well bring the Silverado here too).

On the note of the Holden brand here in Oz, I would prefer that they respectfully retire the brand.
    We no longer manufacture motor vehicles in this country, why do we need our own brand?

The Holden history is one of Aussie manufacturing (and jobs) and to carry on a brand and models that were previously manfactured by now out of work people, is disrepectful to them and those in the past.
    The Holden brand should be retired.

Hey, you guys have great access to a great American Sports Car, it is truely a great car that should be available on a global stage.
    I have loved them since I saw an 82 Collector's Edition when I was 7 years old...long time to be in love with a car (oh crap 35 years).

I just wish it was available here.

...besides if you don't send it then we will be over run with Mustangs

If you read page 17 of March WHEELS apparently it's a done deal the corvette is coming here at last.
    Likes AussieCorvetteNut liked this post

Corvette(s)
    2017 G/S
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

He has little or nothing to do with the C8. The C8 was developed mostly under Ed Welburn. By 2016 the C8 was already fully hatched with only minor tweaks and testing left to be done.
    Last edited by GS1; 03-31-17 at 07:02 AM.