• Drivetrain "growl" when pulling away in 1st gear
  • Drivetrain "growl" when pulling away in 1st gear
  • Drivetrain "growl" when pulling away in 1st gear
  • Drivetrain "growl" when pulling away in 1st gear

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Austin,TX
    Posts
    4
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Torch Red Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Drivetrain "growl" when pulling away in 1st gear

    All,

    Forgive me for posting on multiple sites for those of you that may notice that. ; )

    I have what sounds like a bearing (throwout???) going bad. The noise that is heard at the times shown below create a very slight vibration in the shifter.

    It occurs randomly but I'm gathering data each time it happens to see if there is a common thread. Today it happened multiple times on the way to work. Normally its like once a week. Or in the case of a recent vacation only once in 3 weeks (3500 miles).

    Luckily I have the video and can now show it to the dealer as we couldn't replicate it.

    Any thoughts / experience out there?

    YouTube


    Times: ~0:19, 3:45, 6:15, 6:56
    Last edited by Torch-Red-Z06; 10-08-18 at 08:42 PM.

  2. #2
    Member korvettekarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    463
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Torque Tube

    What it sounds like is a problem I have had with my last 2 2017 Grand Sports.; Torque tube bearings failing. The first one I had went bad 5 times in 6 months.; This one lasted a whole year before it went south. It is in the shop right now. Hoping to get it back on Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06 View Post
    All,

    Forgive me for posting on multiple sites for those of you that may notice that. ; )

    I have what sounds like a bearing (throwout???) going bad. The noise that is heard at the times shown below create a very slight vibration in the shifter.

    It occurs randomly but I'm gathering data each time it happens to see if there is a common thread. Today it happened multiple times on the way to work. Normally its like once a week. Or in the case of a recent vacation only once in 3 weeks (3500 miles).

    Luckily I have the video and can now show it to the dealer as we couldn't replicate it.

    Any thoughts / experience out there?

    YouTube


    Times: ~0:19, 3:45, 6:15, 6:56
    2017 Grand Sport Admiral Blue
    2014 Premier Edition Z51
    2010 Grand Sport
    1990 White ZR1
    1972 Nova SS
    67 RS Camaro
    66 El Camino
    55 2 Door Wagon

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Austin,TX
    Posts
    4
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Torch Red Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    [QUOTE=korvettekarl;1192463]What it sounds like is a problem I have had with my last 2 2017 Grand Sports.; Torque tube bearings failing. The first one I had went bad 5 times in 6 months.; This one lasted a whole year before it went south. It is in the shop right now. Hoping to get it back on Monday.

    Wow! I can't believe you've been plagued with a problem like that. Did the noise happen every now and then or more and more often?

    Since you are having torque tube bearing issues is yours an M7 or A8?

  4. #4
    Member korvettekarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    463
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Torque Tube

    [QUOTE=Torch-Red-Z06;1192473]
    Quote Originally Posted by korvettekarl View Post
    What it sounds like is a problem I have had with my last 2 2017 Grand Sports.; Torque tube bearings failing. The first one I had went bad 5 times in 6 months.; This one lasted a whole year before it went south. It is in the shop right now. Hoping to get it back on Monday.

    Wow! I can't believe you've been plagued with a problem like that. Did the noise happen every now and then or more and more often?

    Since you are having torque tube bearing issues is yours an M7 or A8?
    The first one was an A8 and I swore I would never own an automatic Vette again. This one is an M7. I guess it doesn't matter when it comes to my problems. I don't know if it is a supply problem or what. This is my 12th Vette in the last 25 years and although I still wouldn't drive anything else it is extremely frustrating.
    2017 Grand Sport Admiral Blue
    2014 Premier Edition Z51
    2010 Grand Sport
    1990 White ZR1
    1972 Nova SS
    67 RS Camaro
    66 El Camino
    55 2 Door Wagon

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Austin,TX
    Posts
    4
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Torch Red Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    [QUOTE=korvettekarl;1192478]
    Quote Originally Posted by Torch-Red-Z06 View Post

    The first one was an A8 and I swore I would never own an automatic Vette again. This one is an M7. I guess it doesn't matter when it comes to my problems. I don't know if it is a supply problem or what. This is my 12th Vette in the last 25 years and although I still wouldn't drive anything else it is extremely frustrating.
    Thanks for the info and sorry for your luck.

    This is good information for us other unfortunate individuals. Do you happen to have any info on exactly what repair(s) they did on your previous car or the current one, i.e. the paperwork from the dealer? I'm trying to zoom-in on the exact cause and fix according to your dealer. Any more details you can provide is greatly appreciated.

  6. #6
    Member korvettekarl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    463
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    All the paperwork says the same thing. Replaced torque tube.
    2017 Grand Sport Admiral Blue
    2014 Premier Edition Z51
    2010 Grand Sport
    1990 White ZR1
    1972 Nova SS
    67 RS Camaro
    66 El Camino
    55 2 Door Wagon

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Austin,TX
    Posts
    4
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Torch Red Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by korvettekarl View Post
    All the paperwork says the same thing. Replaced torque tube.
    I guess that is better than them trying to replace bearings in the assembly. I've had to disassemble the torque tubee (on my C5) and it was NOT fun. Once again, sorry for your troubles but thanks for the info.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-16-18, 08:31 PM
  2. 1980 Power window gear/motor repair "Whaaa.?"
    By 80Vette in forum C3 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-20-16, 01:19 PM
  3. 2001 Zo6 "popping" out of first gear
    By Dad2BJO in forum C5 Z06 Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-22-10, 10:53 PM
  4. " 4.10 rear gear up grade "
    By sxyvet in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-22-07, 08:17 AM
  5. complete 1963 drivetrain for sale "rd" engine
    By bigtire63 in forum C1/C2 Parts For Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-04, 02:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •