Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    2017 Grand Sport 2lt. Watkins Glen Gray
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Infotainment Screen is Broken

I had read several similar problems back in 2014, and I thought GM had resolved this issue--until today. So I thought I'd throw this out there.

I bought my 2017 GS last September and have racked up 6000 miles. Today, all of a sudden, the infotainment system started acting up. During the first 10 minutes after engine start-up, the screen started going blank and then on again and then blank again. This off-on-off happened about 15 times. Then the radio went dead. I arrived at my destination and shut the engine off. As I restarted the engine one hour later, the system was OK. Then, after about five minutes, the whole aforementioned problem with the system occurred again. So, now there's no access to the radio, PDR, back-up camera, front and side cameras, bluetooth, etc. I called the dealer today and cannot get an appointment until May 31!!! This is the second issue I've had with this car. The first issue involved a broken left-front turn signal not long after I drove the car off the lot.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Call the dealership back and ask to talk to the service manager. Let him now that you are not pleased with the scheduling date and see if he can help you. If you purchased the vehicle there I am sure they will help you.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Call the dealership back and ask to talk to the service manager. Let him now that you are not pleased with the scheduling date and see if he can help you. If you purchased the vehicle there I am sure they will help you.
    Thanks much for the advice. I did call the service manager today and have arranged for an appointment tomorrow.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by C7808 View Post
    I had read several similar problems back in 2014, and I thought GM had resolved this issue--until today. So I thought I'd throw this out there.

I bought my 2017 GS last September and have racked up 6000 miles. Today, all of a sudden, the infotainment system started acting up. During the first 10 minutes after engine start-up, the screen started going blank and then on again and then blank again. This off-on-off happened about 15 times. Then the radio went dead. I arrived at my destination and shut the engine off. As I restarted the engine one hour later, the system was OK. Then, after about five minutes, the whole aforementioned problem with the system occurred again. So, now there's no access to the radio, PDR, back-up camera, front and side cameras, bluetooth, etc. I called the dealer today and cannot get an appointment until May 31!!! This is the second issue I've had with this car. The first issue involved a broken left-front turn signal not long after I drove the car off the lot.
    And just today (May 9), the gas gauge went kaput. Reads 0 gallons, but it has nearly a full tank. Thinking I may have bought a lemon. Too many electronic issues with this car.

Supporting Dealer MacMulkin Chevrolet's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1990 Corvette ZR-1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Chances are, either you need an HMI update, or the HMI module in the car behind the glovebox needs to be replaced. Either way, you need to bring the car to your local Chevrolet dealership for proper diagnosis.
    We are one of the top Corvette Dealers in the world!

MacMulkin Corvette does NOT charge any admin or doc fees. The price we quote is the price you pay.

Call 603-888-1121 or Contact Us today!
    Corvette Incentives
    MacMulkin Corvette Site

Follow Us On:
    Facebook
    Pinterest
    Twitter

Save

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by MacMulkin Chevrolet View Post
    Chances are, either you need an HMI update, or the HMI module in the car behind the glovebox needs to be replaced. Either way, you need to bring the car to your local Chevrolet dealership for proper diagnosis.
    Thanks much for responding. Today, I took the car to the dealership where I bought it. Seems they cannot figure out the cause at this time. They tried to download some computer program as a fix, but the car's computer wouldn't accept it, so I was told. So they are keeping the car overnight and will try again tomorrow. BTW, what does HMI stand for?

Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks much for responding. Today, I took the car to the dealership where I bought it. Seems they cannot figure out the cause at this time. They tried to download some computer program as a fix, but the car's computer wouldn't accept it, so I was told. So they are keeping the car overnight and will try again tomorrow. BTW, what does HMI stand for?
    Human Machine Interface

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Human Machine Interface
    Thanks!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by MacMulkin Chevrolet View Post
    Yes, that was the problem. HMI module is on order. Thanks again.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

And just today (May 9), the gas gauge went kaput. Reads 0 gallons, but it has nearly a full tank. Thinking I may have bought a lemon. Too many electronic issues with this car.
    The gas gauge malfunction was unrelated and separate from the infotainment system issue. But, it apparently ironed itself out as it started working properly with no attention even before the HMI was replaced. The Chevy mechanics wanted to remove the two saddle fuel tanks in an attempt to investigate the cause of the malfunction. But that would have involved the removal of the some of the drivetrain (transmission and other components) since the fuel tanks are located above the drivetrain. I nixed that idea and suggested we wait to see if the gas gauge malfunctions again. If so, I'll bring the car back to the dealer. So far, I haven't had any problems with the gas gauge. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just an update in case this happens to one of you C7 Corvette owners. The infotainment problem was solved with a simple replacement of a new HMI (human machine interface) module.

Corvette(s)
    2017 Grand Sport 90 ZR1 57 Bel Air
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Infotainment screen

Feel lucky, myine quit on Sunday morning. Stopped at my nephew's house to get my Meade telescope back from him. when I started my 17 Grand Sport the center monitor refused to light up or show any signs of life. Went to the dealer after work on Monday 12 June. Still waiting. Apparently the center screen is controlled by the gauge pod screen which is on back order with no known ETA. I hate driving a rental car!
    2017 Grand Sport Admiral Blue
    2014 Premier Edition Z51
    2010 Grand Sport
    1990 White ZR1
    1972 Nova SS
    67 RS Camaro
    66 El Camino
    55 2 Door Wagon