• 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Speculatively Animated
  • 2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Speculatively Animated

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well, I don't know about the rest of the car, but I've seen the video from the company that did the tooling for the front bumper and this video nailed the dumper dead nuts. If the rest of the car in this video is just as accurate, then I have to say that the whole car is way, WAY too "ricer/Hot Wheels/Camaro" for me. From what I understand, the chassis & running gear are basically C6, so the main differences in the new car are the obvious styling...and smaller, direct-injected engines. Decreased displacement and vastly-increased ugly in the C7 have just sold me a C6...
    ____
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Basing a buying decision based on all the misinformation out there makes no sense at all. I like the C6 a lot, but I wouldn't buy one until I saw the real C7.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If I wait until they show us a real C7, it'll be too late for me to order the C6 that I want.

The following comments are definitely JMO. I was really smitten with the C4 GSs in late '96. The front end on the '96s was a bit bland, but the rest of the car was drop-dead gorgeous...with the GS even more so. Then the C5 came out, and while it was obviously a technical improvement, it was also a poke in the eye compared to the '96. As soon as I had the money (June of '97), I conducted a nation-wide search for a new '96 GS. There was just one left, and I bought it. In all the years since, I've never gotten used to the looks of the C5, while my C4 GS still looks terrific to me. When the C6 came out, I immediately felt that, styling-wise, they had fixed everything that I hated about the C5. The C6 looks great from every angle. I even prefer the C6's headlights to the C5's. So, since the C7 won't be anywhere near the technical leap over the C6 that the C5 was over the C4, I'm not seeing any reason to wait for Chevy to surprise me with an even more attractive C7 when all current indications are that it's not going to happen...and the ordering deadline for my ideal C6 is looming closer and closer.
    Last edited by 1analguy; 08-25-12 at 02:22 AM.
    ____
    Bob

2014 Chevrolet Corvette C7 Speculatively Animated JJS's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 1analguy View Post
    If I wait until they show us a real C7, it'll be too late for me to order the C6 that I want.
    I feel the same way - I wouldn't want the V6 if that's what they're dropping in the C7, and I also don't like the resemblence to the Camaro - that back end is fugly imo, if in fact that is what the new design looks like.

I'm waiting for the "off season" (winter) to see what they'll offer below sticker on a new C6 GS. I have about 5K points on my GM card and they normally allow you the maximum points if you purchase during the winter months in addition to the zero percent financing - hopefully that won't change this year.

-JS

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I saw base 2013s at 9 grand under list over the weekend. There was well over a thousand C5s available when the C6s were unveiled. I'd bet there will be thousands of C6s available in January when the C7s will be unveiled, and they will be cheap....IMO. You will have time to decide in the time between unveiling and when they go on sale in late Spring, early Summer. Then the pipeline will have to fill up before there is are significant numbers of them in stock. They will be pretty hard to get at a decent price in 2013.
    Last edited by catbert; 08-27-12 at 01:50 PM.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I thought I read somewhere that the C7's won't debut until next spring/summer. They were recommending that dealerships place C6 orders that would carry them through until the C7's were unveiled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the C7's won't debut until next spring/summer. They were recommending that dealerships place C6 orders that would carry them through until the C7's were unveiled.
    Scheduled for unveiling at the Detroit International auto show in mid January and a second showing at Chicago in Feb. By April, you'll be able to crawl all over a bunch of them at the Corvette Museum Bash in Spring.
    Last edited by catbert; 08-26-12 at 05:08 PM.

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Good to hear! The plan is to buy a C6 at some point this winter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    Good to hear! The plan is to buy a C6 at some point this winter!
    Me too!
    Dawn

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My problem is that, while I'm not generally averse to buying a "pipeline" car, I've yet to see anything close to what I would want (new or used) sitting at a dealership. I'm afraid that I will have to order a car to get what I want, and if I've correctly understood what I've read here on another thread, the deadline for any of us to order a '13 is mid-September. There are, as of right now, already drop-outs on the availability of certain colors/options with more items likely to join the "no longer available" list as time progresses. Apparently, I'll have to do something in the next couple of weeks if I want my C6. I'd like to wait until after the C7 reveal, but...
    ____
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Even if you do like the C7 Bob, you know the prices are going to be high at first and no dealing because the big money will all want to be the first to have one. Plus it always takes a few years to work out the bugs...on any generation. Here is something else I was thinking about. Is the build quality better on cars that only 1,000 cars a month are being produced as opposed to 3,000 cars a month? Since 09 the production numbers have dropped to where they only retained their top been there the longest employees so to me it makes sense that these C6's are built better.

I just got my 2010 Grand Sport and it is the best Corvette I have ever owned by far.....You might want to trip the trigger on a new GS.....you won't be sorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

How harsh is the ride quality on that '10 GS? I'm asking because I was thinking of ordering one with MRC in the hope that it would ride a bit smoother. Actually, I wouldn't mind a cream puff used GS if I could find one optioned the way I want it. I was just online and found a VY 4LT 2010 GS coupe with a stick, both tops, ZR1 spoiler, chrome rims, etc., with under 2000 miles on it! It appears to be missing only the Heritage Package, MRC, and Dual-Mode exhaust. Were MRC and Dual-Mode even available in 2010? While nowadays I'd prefer a white car, my first two sports cars (early '70s) were both bright yellow and the Corvette VY is very nice, so I'd consider caving on the color if the other options were there...

Additional C7 question: do we know yet whether or not the new coupe is even going to be a targa top? All I've been hearing so far is coupe this and coupe that. If the top is fixed, they can keep it. And I don't think I want to wait until '15 for the GS to appear, either...
    Last edited by 1analguy; 08-31-12 at 02:44 AM.
    ____
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 1analguy View Post
    How harsh is the ride quality on that '10 GS? I'm asking because I was thinking of ordering one with MRC in the hope that it would ride a bit smoother. Actually, I wouldn't mind a cream puff used GS if I could find one optioned the way I want it. I was just online and found a VY 4LT 2010 GS coupe with a stick, both tops, ZR1 spoiler, chrome rims, etc., with under 2000 miles on it! It appears to be missing only the Heritage Package, MRC, and Dual-Mode exhaust. Were MRC and Dual-Mode even available in 2010? While nowadays I'd prefer a white car, my first two sports cars (early '70s) were both bright yellow and the Corvette VY is very nice, so I'd consider caving on the color if the other options were there...

Additional C7 question: do we know yet whether or not the new coupe is even going to be a targa top? All I've been hearing so far is coupe this and coupe that. If the top is fixed, they can keep it. And I don't think I want to wait until '15 for the GS to appear, either...
    I find the ride on the GS to be plenty good enough for trips, at least for my old bones. The ride will get a lot better when the OEM tires are replaced. I'd guess the ride might be even a little better with MRC. I don't know how much better the ride can get with the low aspect rubber on the GS. Tire sidewalls are a pretty important element of ride comfort.

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default The Ferrari and Camaro comparisons are spot on.

Corvette has its own unique styling ques that can easily be incorporated into an all-new design. If this is close to the real C7, the designers have missed that mark by a mile.

While it can be called "attractive" by the casual observer, it just doesn't say CORVETTE to me. I especially dislike the roof treatment. Since the '78 model first swapped out side sails for a glass teardrop, the visibility and aerodynamics of every Corvette since have been awesome. My fond hope was that Chevrolet would go to a smooth and slippery all-glass look with a nice dark tint ... a glass bubble if you will.

What this C7 version looks like is a Mustang top. Coupled with the Camaro taillights and the confused rear end lines ... STRIKE THREE!
    "Life is tough ... then you die."

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I remember these same conversations before the C6 came out. The word was shorter, fixed headlights, chopped butt, yada, yada, yada. I knew I'd hate it. The more I read, the more I knew that. Then I saw the real deal. I drove from Phoenix to Rockingham, NC to buy the first C6 I could get my hands on. Ended up having one of the first coupe in Phoenix. I'm driving my third C6 after ranting about how GM was going to ruin the beloved C5. Despite what I've heard, chances are I'll probably really like the C7.
    Last edited by catbert; 09-02-12 at 10:22 PM.

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast