• 00 for a rear main seal and clutch?

Corvette(s)
    2005 C6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default $2700 for a rear main seal and clutch?

2005 Coupe with 40K.

Does $2700 at a dealer for a rear main seal and clutch replacement seem outrageous or is that normal?

Labor was quoted as $1800 just for the rear main seal. They said my clutch was starting to go as well so might as well get that fixed too. Which brought the total to $2700. Or is this dealer a rip off?

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Sounds like plenty, but probably about the going rates. Are you hard on the clutch? 40k and worn out? that sounds fishy to me, but I understand the idea to replace it, and save that labor. If it was worn (not worn out) it still would probably make sense to replace it....I, more than likely, would choose to replace it, no matter how much wear was on it, just because, it is an ordeal to replace it.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Corvette(s)
    2005 C6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Toms007 View Post
    Sounds like plenty, but probably about the going rates. Are you hard on the clutch? 40k and worn out? that sounds fishy to me, but I understand the idea to replace it, and save that labor. If it was worn (not worn out) it still would probably make sense to replace it....I, more than likely, would choose to replace it, no matter how much wear was on it, just because, it is an ordeal to replace it.
    Thanks for the response Tom. I don't think I am hard on the clutch. The car doesn't get driven much. 2005 with less than 40K However I just moved and drove it cross country. Had a couple of spots that I was able to open her up and play a bit on the highway. It's possible that I blew the seal during. I was having the dealer do the 30K inspection. They said the clutch was getting warn and recommend the replacement at the same time as the seal.

I did manage to talk them down to $2500 and another $600 for the 30K inspection and fluid replacements. They threw in a full detail as well. So I think based on what I have heard, while painful, I got a good deal.

I called around to other shops and they were in the same range with one exception at $2300 but over an hour from home.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Are you see drops of oil on the ground where you park the vehicle?
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    2005 C6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Are you see drops of oil on the ground where you park the vehicle?
    No and I looked for that. Not a drop. I had a strong burning smell every time I drove over the last 2 weeks.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Is the burning smell the dealers diagnosis of the rear main seal leaking? I’m just wondering why they recommended a rear main seal replacement.
    Master Technician

Corvette(s)
    2005 C6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Is the burning smell the dealers diagnosis of the rear main seal leaking? I’m just wondering why they recommended a rear main seal replacement.
    Yes. I had no idea what it could be since I couldn't see any oil dripping on the ground. But the smell was strong. I didn't notice any loss of power or clutch slipping though so I figured they would

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Is the vehicle in the shop getting the work done?
    Master Technician

Corvette(s)
    2005 C6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Is the vehicle in the shop getting the work done?
    Yes, hoping to get it back next week sometime. Why?

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post
    Yes, hoping to get it back next week sometime. Why?

I would make sure that the slave cylinder gets replaced, and the clutch system completely flushed, which is different than just installing a slave cylinder.

I would also have them check the intake valley pan for leaks, as it is a known leak area that can leak oil down to the bell housing area. Basically follow the leak to it's highest point.
    Master Technician

Likes Toms007 liked this post

Corvette(s)
    2005 C6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well.....the continuing saga......$3200 later. I got a call yesterday they had completed the work requested but when they went to test drive it they heard a squeaking from the engine compartment. Now they say I need a new belt tensioner pulley. Another $150. I was pretty emfatic that there wasn't an issue when I dropped it off so they said they would eat the cost on it.

I went to pick it up and the squeak is still there......so there it sits till Monday when they can investigate it.

There was no issue with the clutch when I dropped it off (so I am thinking I might have been taken for a ride). What might be indications that I would have missed if the clutch was going?

So another question I have for you guys is I asked for the 30K inspection. Which includes a transmission flush, fuel injector service and cooling system flush. Wouldn't the transmission be drained to do the clutch anyway? Don't they have to drop the transmission to replace the clutch?

I appreciate your help on this guys.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Av8tr View Post
    Well.....the continuing saga......$3200 later. I got a call yesterday they had completed the work requested but when they went to test drive it they heard a squeaking from the engine compartment. Now they say I need a new belt tensioner pulley. Another $150. I was pretty emfatic that there wasn't an issue when I dropped it off so they said they would eat the cost on it.

I went to pick it up and the squeak is still there......so there it sits till Monday when they can investigate it.

There was no issue with the clutch when I dropped it off (so I am thinking I might have been taken for a ride). What might be indications that I would have missed if the clutch was going?

So another question I have for you guys is I asked for the 30K inspection. Which includes a transmission flush, fuel injector service and cooling system flush. Wouldn't the transmission be drained to do the clutch anyway? Don't they have to drop the transmission to replace the clutch?

I appreciate your help on this guys.

A clutch going out is usually slipping under a heavy load (engine rpm's are high with slow acceleration), jerking when using the clutch,abnormal noises etc. I don't think that is why they recommended a clutch, it is probably because the transmission and torque tube were out to do the rear main seal, and since the clutch is a wearable item just like brakes, it was a good time to do one. I did the same thing at 50K when I had my transmission resealed under warranty, but I did ask for it. The transmission, differential, and torque tube come out as a unit, so the transmission would not need to be drained.
    Master Technician

Thanks Toms007 thanked for this post