• 00 for a rear main seal and clutch?
  • 00 for a rear main seal and clutch?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by compyelc4 View Post
    Oops. Forgot your manual. I was concentrating on the word, "flush". I'm a goof.

I can match that more than once...
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech
    Likes vett boy, Toms007, Wayback liked this post

Corvette(s)
    93 Ruby Aniv roadster/6spd
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The dealers hourly rate should be posted on the service desk wall along with standard charges. We bill the Co a 100.00 hr altho the shop is part of the Co I work for. So the book time for the work performed plus parts will equal the total cost. So if the job says it calls for 5 hrs & the mechanic only works on it for 3 ya still get charged for 5.
    Currently 93 Ruby 40th Anniversary Roadster/6 SPD

Previous 58,68,70,76,78,85,90

Corvette(s)
    2009 Cyber Gray coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have mine in a shop that I completely trust(not a dealership) because the fuel gauge stopped working. The bill is $1600, $107 for the part and 15 hours of labor. Apparently to drop the gas tank. you have to drop the tranny(auto) as well. I've read elsewhere that a fuel sensor can cause the problem or a sending unit. The shop I use also gives me a 10-20% discount on the total bill because I've used them for ryears and the owner is a friend. Overall I guess its OK and they 100% guarantee their work.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by compyelc4 View Post
    I would never flush a transmission that is not causing problems. They can break crap loose that can end up causing you problems with a good working transmission. If that trans ain't causing problems, don't flush!
    The above is bad advice, regardless if the transmission is a manual or an automatic. Both transmission types require periodic maintenance for best durability.

C6 manuals should have lubricant changes every 3-years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.
    C6 automatics should have a fluid flush and filter change every 5-years/50,000 miles whichever comes first.

Also, C6 rear drive axles should have lubricant changes every 3-years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.

Corvette(s)
    '95 LT1 Coupe, Comp Yell; C6 Roadster, Vel Yell
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    The above is bad advice, regardless if the transmission is a manual or an automatic. Both transmission types require periodic maintenance for best durability.

C6 manuals should have lubricant changes every 3-years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.
    C6 automatics should have a fluid flush and filter change every 5-years/50,000 miles whichever comes first.

Also, C6 rear drive axles should have lubricant changes every 3-years or 36,000 miles whichever comes first.
    Hib- please explain the difference between a flush and a change. My '07 owner's manual says "change" every 50,000 miles under "severe service" (sic) and every 100,000 miles under "normal" service. Can fluid be changed rather than flushed (as is back flush)? Also, by "drive axle... lubricant" you mean differential fluid? Also, regarding owner manual service of differential fluid in automatic or manual "gear box", I can't find where they recommend a change. Weird.
    Ted

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If we are talking about an automatic trans, "flush" means replace all the fluid with new fluid using a machine which connects to the trans and sucks out the old fluid and pumps in new fluid. "Change" draining the fluid in the trans pan and refilling the trans. Fluid inside the converter or in the passages inside the trans doesn't get changed.

For a manual the terms are interchangeable.

"Drive axle lubricant" = rear end oil = differential fluid

GM does not usually list a change interval with manuals, but I recommend 3yr/36,000.

Also you said

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

[QUOTE=compyelc4;1194751(snip Also, regarding owner manual service of differential fluid in automatic or manual "gear box", I can't find where they recommend a change. Weird.[/QUOTE]

The Owner's Manual probably did not recommend use of differential fluid in the automatic trans or the manual transmission.

With respect to an automatic trans, "flush" means replacement of old fluid with new fluid. Typically this is done with a service tool which connects to the transmission and sucks out old fluid and replaces it with new. "Change" usually means draining the fluid in the trans pan and refiling it.

With respect to a manual trans "flush" and "change" are synomous.

"drive axle lubricant" = "rear end oil" = "differential fluid"

in most cases of passenger cars, GM does not recommend transmission lubricant changes, however, I feel transmission durability is enhanced by doing that every 3yrs/36,000 miles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12