• 2010 C6 Power loss from  a computer update

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    2010 C6 LS3, torch red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default HP/Torque Loss after "update on computer 2010C6

After buying a 2010C6 LS3 with 80k miles, we immediately had issues. We searched or a certified Vette shop. The dealership told me the computer needed an update to fix glitches. Once I picked the car up and hit the road I noticed a big drop in power. dealership dismissed me saying there was no power loss and their update is irreversible. I was livid, Note.. my gas mileage before they screwed me was 15 mpg avg. Afterwards it was 27 mpg. I didnt buy the car for fuel efficiency. I didn't ask for it either. The car once had power and torque that commanded respect. Now its just another car. My lifelong dream of owning an awesome Vette is shattered. I am bluecollar so I cant afford dumping money into something that isn't going to remedy this Already put
    6k to replace water pump, timing belt, harmonic balancer and radiator, YThe door is splitting from the hinge {3k est to replace}
    . My question. Is there a Chip that can put in the computer board to get my performance back? Is there anything I can do to reclaim the 60-100 horses missing?
    She was put on a rack and tested 330hp at 150 mph instead of 420hp at whatever.
    Please anyone
    Last edited by RevXIII; 07-23-18 at 11:45 PM.

Corvette(s)
    1973 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The 420 horsepower you mention is measured at the flywheel whereas the 330 horse power you mentioned was at the rear wheels as measured on a portable dyno.

330 horsepower at the rear wheels sounds about right.

2010 C6 Power loss from  a computer update Tuna's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Is the motor stock?
    Was there a "performance" program installed before you bought it?
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    HyperDeath

Murder mysteries!

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

One question I have is the OP states the "timing belt" was replaced but...LS3s don't have timing belts.

330-at the wheels is about 390 at the flywheel, which is a bit less than the 430-hp which at which it's rated, but then the engine has 80-K miles on it which may or may not be an issue.

You'll have to tell us a little more about why the dealer updated the ECM cal and which cal was put in there before anyone can help you much more. Also, did the ECM have an aftermarket calibration in it before you took the car into the dealer?

Lastly, ECMs in C6es do not have "chips".
    Likes redvett, Toms007 liked this post

Corvette(s)
    2010 C6 LS3, torch red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Robbed

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Is the motor stock?
    Was there a "performance" program installed before you bought it?
    I would be inclined to say yes. It had more power than I was comfortable with. After the "Update" It was nothing close to what I had. I'm still fuming mad. Is there anything that can to restore the power.?. RevXIII
    2010 6.2 ltr C6 LS3.

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

First off Welcome to CAC RevXIII. As Hib has suggested, we need more information before we can help you. As for the mileage, 27mpg is about right for these cars.....15 is really low, unless you are running it hard from stoplight to stoplight. If I were getting 15mpg in normal driving, I'd be upset.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

A quick search has resulted in a Dyno tuning facility in Eugene, Dyno Tuning Eugene - VMR Performance, LLC I know nothing about them, other than what I read on their website. Worth a try IMO.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by RevXIII View Post
    After buying a 2010C6 LS3 with 80k miles, we immediately had issues. We searched or a certified Vette shop. The dealership told me the computer needed an update to fix glitches. Once I picked the car up and hit the road I noticed a big drop in power. dealership dismissed me saying there was no power loss and their update is irreversible. I was livid, Note.. my gas mileage before they screwed me was 15 mpg avg. Afterwards it was 27 mpg. I didnt buy the car for fuel efficiency. I didn't ask for it either. The car once had power and torque that commanded respect. Now its just another car. My lifelong dream of owning an awesome Vette is shattered. I am bluecollar so I cant afford dumping money into something that isn't going to remedy this Already put
    6k to replace water pump, timing belt, harmonic balancer and radiator, YThe door is splitting from the hinge {3k est to replace}
    . My question. Is there a Chip that can put in the computer board to get my performance back? Is there anything I can do to reclaim the 60-100 horses missing?
    She was put on a rack and tested 330hp at 150 mph instead of 420hp at whatever.
    Please anyone

#1 Did the update fix your glitches, what ever they were?

#2 The computer update will put the fuel and timing mapping back to OEM spec's and possibly shift points if it is an auto.

#3 A custom tune will not usually net you 60-100 horsepower unless you have some radical aftermarket engine components on your vehicle.

#4 If you want your "power" back an aftermarket dyno tune may do it, but you could also lose your "glitches" fix.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech