• oil fill snafu - need some advise
  • oil fill snafu - need some advise

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default oil fill snafu - need some advise

I have a my new (to me Z06) that I just accidently overfilled with oil. Failed to check the manual first which instructs to first run the motor up to 175 deg and shut down for 5 to 20 minutes. I checked it cold and put in 2 qts of oil then drove for about 6 miles. Checked again and discovered that I probably was not low to begin with and now I am about 1.5 qts. overfull.
    I carefully drove home never getting over 50 PSI.

Is the risk too great to also carefully drive the car about 7 miles to the dealer to correct the problem? Advise please.

thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by SHARKZ06 View Post
    I have a my new (to me Z06) that I just accidently overfilled with oil. Failed to check the manual first which instructs to first run the motor up to 175 deg and shut down for 5 to 20 minutes. I checked it cold and put in 2 qts of oil then drove for about 6 miles. Checked again and discovered that I probably was not low to begin with and now I am about 1.5 qts. overfull.
    I carefully drove home never getting over 50 PSI.

Is the risk too great to also carefully drive the car about 7 miles to the dealer to correct the problem? Advise please.

thank you

You should be fine driving slowly and easily, keep the rev's as low as safely possible.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks --- all back roads to the dealer and can safely keep the RPM's low and oil pressure under 50 PSI.

oil fill snafu - need some advise Tuna's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you haven't gone to the dealer yet, you might try siphoning some of the excess oil out of the tank with a turkey baster.
    Tuna
    New avatar - my latest novel
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    If you haven't gone to the dealer yet, you might try siphoning some of the excess oil out of the tank with a turkey baster.
    I have not taken this to the dealer yet -- I will try the turkey baster tonight. Thanks for the tip!

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I suspect the turkey baster method will not work due to baffling inside the tank. You probably will not be able to get the baster inlet below the level of oil.

Most likely, the best DIY way to address this to get the front of the car up on jackstands. Get under there with a 15-mm wrench, a big drain pan, a small funnel and two empty Mobil 1 bottles. Break one of the drain plugs loose. Then both unscrew and push on the drain plug at the same time. Once you have the drain plug completely unscrewed but are still holding it in place, slowly and carefully pull the plug out a tiny bit until oil is slowly draining out of the oil pan and, through the funnel, into the first bottle. Fill that bottle up then put the second bottle under the steam. Once that bottle is filled, push the drain plug back into the hole, screw it into place and tighten with the wrench.

Put the car on the ground, then start the engine and let the oil temperature warm to 175F. Shut the engine off, wait five minutes and stick the oil. Add some of the oil you drained back into the tank to bring the oil level back to the full mark.