$projecthp
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C6 2005

Corvette(s)
    '95 LT1 Coupe, Comp Yell; C6 Roadster, Vel Yell
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

vett boy,

When was the last time you disconnected your battery on your C6? I am not trying to be facetious, just helpful. If you have done this since, say mid-to-late December 2018 to present, and you still have your GPS clock, then you are blessed because there are thousands of folks with C6's between 2005 and 2011 who have disconnected their battery and now have no GPS clock, and this includes those who have had GM dealer's do their disconnects before GM knew there was a problem. If you read up you will find that the problem was most probably caused by the Air Force, who controls all GPS satellites, changing the clock download signal to a higher "bit" value. I'm just trying to save you a major pain. I am going to attach here, a thread where you can read all about this on-going problem. Let us know what you think. Oh, and LLC5 has a post just below that indicates that there is a way to disconnect your battery safely. My brother, a certified ASE, uses a rather older device that plugs into the lighter/12vdc socket to maintain a low voltage for short times while the battery is disconnected to replace the battery, work on air bag systems, etc. This device also will obviously maintain power to your GPS clock. Okay, those of you who know about this problem, please chip in to help those who may not know.

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion
    Last edited by compyelc4; 08-22-19 at 09:20 PM. Reason: clarity
    Ted

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by compyelc4 View Post
    vett boy,

When was the last time you disconnected your battery on your C6? I am not trying to be facetious, just helpful. If you have done this since, say mid-to-late December 2018 to present, and you still have your GPS clock, then you are blessed because there are thousands of folks with C6's between 2005 and 2011 who have disconnected their battery and now have no GPS clock, and this includes those who have had GM dealer's do their disconnects before GM knew there was a problem. If you read up you will find that the problem was most probably caused by the Air Force, who controls all GPS satellites, changing the clock download signal to a higher "bit" value. I'm just trying to save you a major pain. I am going to attach here, a thread where you can read all about this on-going problem. Let us know what you think. Oh, and LLC5 has a post just below that indicates that there is a way to disconnect your battery safely. My brother, a certified ASE, uses a rather older device that plugs into the lighter/12vdc socket to maintain a low voltage for short times while the battery is disconnected to replace the battery, work on air bag systems, etc. This device also will obviously maintain power to your GPS clock. Okay, those of you who know about this problem, please chip in to help those who may not know.

"C6 from 2005-2010 navigation radio clock stops after battery disconnect - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Yes, I still have those old style accessory port 9V/12V battery memory savers also, but didn't want to bring it up because they don't always work and some vehicles have an ignition on only accessory port. I have found OBD2 memory savers to be much more reliable.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    2008 vert 6M silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes Ted evidently there has been an issue that I was not aware of .I spent a couple hours last eve and will spend some time for my own benefit .At what I gather so far it may have been a time period and not an on going issue .

Corvette(s)
    '95 LT1 Coupe, Comp Yell; C6 Roadster, Vel Yell
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Time period yes. As for me, I lost my clock around 12/18/18 after disconnecting my battery to install new seat covers in my '07 vert. A few days later I started snooping around the web trying to figure out what went haywire. If you check this site under the heading, Technical and Performance, Subject: '07 C6 Clock Not Working, you will see where I first posted my problem. I've done a ton of research since then and found most posts on this subject on the site I quoted to you earlier. This problem is not just for C6's as I have found hundreds of posts by owners of Honda, Acura, as well and GM vehicles and trucks, all in the 2005-2011 model year period. The common denominator is that they all use the Nippon Denso GPS head unit. It is very strange that a few C6 owners have stated that their GPS clocks have mysteriously returned to service, although their year dates were still hosed up. Most have complained that the GPS Active/Inactive icon on their GPS screens are lined through as well, with some line-through's disappearing after a while, but GPS's working fine whether the GPS icon is lined through or not. A few have stated that they also lost their GPS tracking for good. As for mine, yes I have the line-through for maybe 10 minutes after turning on the GPS, then the line-through disappears, but the GPS tracks from the get-go anyway. Other than the time, the GPS has, obviously, lost its ability to "time of arrival" because it uses the clock time to calculate this.
    Ted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12