Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default End of the Line for the 2005 - 2013 C6 Corvette

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Excitement Speeds into Bowling Green

GM Press Release
    March 1, 2013

Yesterday, at 8:04 a.m., the last 2013 Corvette came off the line at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. The celebration was short lived, as less than 30 minutes after the last car was built, workers began remodeling the plant to prepare for the launch of the all-new 2014 Corvette Stingray.

A total of 215,100 sixth-generation "C6" Corvettes were made at Bowling Green since production began in 2005, the last of which was the exclusive 2013 Corvette 427 Convertible Collector Edition outfitted with the 60th Anniversary design package. This package boasts an Arctic White exterior and a Blue Diamond leather-wrapped interior with suede-microfiber accents.

At the heart of the 427 Convertible is the 7.0-liter (427 ci) LS7 aluminum-block V8, which is handcrafted by skilled engine craftsmen at the GM Performance Build Center. For the LS7 destined for the last C6 produced, the engine was built by Corvette executive chief engineer Tadge Juechter.

The last C6 Corvette will join other historic General Motors vehicles at the GM Heritage Center in Warren, Mich.

"Leading up to the production of the last C6 has been all business," said Bowling Green plant manager Dave Tatman. "We take our job seriously and consider it the privilege that it is. But you can't do what we do and not get emotionally attached to the car."

Even as the team celebrated building the last C6, Tatman said there has been a great deal of anticipation and excitement toward building the all-new Stingray.

"The last C6 rolls off the line at 8:04 a.m. and I'll have people in here at 8:30 a.m. to start tearing down and putting in new tools," Tatman said.

The task will require that 120 workers take just four weeks to turn the Bowling Green plant around, completing a job that usually takes months to accomplish. All employees are slated to return to work on March 25, where they will learn the entirely new process required to build the Stingray.

Bowling Green Assembly, which hosts up to 50,000 visitors a year, is currently closed to the public to facilitate the remodeling of the line. Tatman said he plans to reopen the plant to outside tours as soon as possible, knowing that everyone is excited to see this new generation of Corvette built.

"As I always say, we don't build cars, we build dreams," Tatman said.
    # # #
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-last-built-3-jpg   2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-last-built-628-1362161004-jpg   2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-last-c6-built-0-jpg   2013-chevrolet-corvette-427-convertible-last-built-5-jpg  

Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque About It
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu
    1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default A bit sad

Thank you for posting , and it did make me a little bit sad... I'm still a fan of C6 and as goofy as it is, I feel a little sad about this!

Corvette(s)
    1969 427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default C6 - The King

I'm amazed that Chevy did not have some kind of real event for this close-out, either a media gig at the plant or something in Detroit. Obvious is the long, glorious reign of this Vette model - way too many victories to mention here (would this site have enough megabytes?) and ending in one last sweet parting shot to no less deserving a victim than the 'new' Viper at the hands of a pro driver at Laguna Seca, setting a new lap record in the process. The C6 has made me a proud Vette fan many times over and you owners out there take no guff from anyone, ever. I had a '69 390 hp 427 in the Air Force many moons ago and I was consumed by this thing! This was not just a proud drive, it was an event. I went to recurring training at Keesler AFB and it was one week before I was delivering two foxy females to their class on the way to mine every day for the duration of my stay. Vettes do that.

I could go on about the C6 but the data and results will pick it up from here.

Cheers!

End of the Line for the 2005 - 2013 C6 Corvette 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default It went out in style...

Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Coupe Z16 Blade Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I remember back in 05 when they intro'd the C6 I right away thought, they finally got it right. When the Z06 came out in 06 I thought OMG...I still have the picture of a yellow one Chevy sent me by my desk. When I saw the Grand Sport in 10 I said I really gotta get me one of those......and I did......and I'm glad....long live the C6! C7....you got some big shoe's to fill.

Corvette(s)
    2005 C6 Silver Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

last-load-c5-corvettes2-jpeg-jpglast-load-c5-corvettes1-jpeg-jpg Looks like it didn't go alone..............photo taken early March in VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    A Glass Slipper.................

Corvette(s)
    1969 427
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Vette victory!!

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerman View Post
    I remember back in 05 when they intro'd the C6 I right away thought, they finally got it right. When the Z06 came out in 06 I thought OMG...I still have the picture of a yellow one Chevy sent me by my desk. When I saw the Grand Sport in 10 I said I really gotta get me one of those......and I did......and I'm glad....long live the C6! C7....you got some big shoe's to fill.
    Another victory for team Vette at Sebring! Layin' the reliability smackdown on the Viper and blowing past a Ferrari in the process of a 12-hour win! You're right Huskerman - that C7 had better be watching the C6 for HOW IT"S DONE!!!