• Blue Bullet Blog-The C6 Ownership Experience

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    2003 AE Convertible, 1998 LCRM Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

WOW! Congrats on the new Z06 Hib! I like the Carlisle Blue too!
    I'm looking forward to following along as you share your impressions and experiences.
    And take lots of photos on your cross country trek too.
    Enjoy!
    Jane Ann

For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble.

Blue Bullet Blog-The C6 Ownership Experience BigJimZ16's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

We saw Hib's new Z06 this afternoon in BG, it's a winner to be sure!! Congrads Hib!! It's a beauty!!
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I looked for the beast and didn't find it.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Blue Bullet Blog-The C6 Ownership Experience BigJimZ16's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    I looked for the beast and didn't find it.
    It was out on the circle in the afternoon...
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

We didn't arrive until about 3:30. Maybe Friday.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

THowie

That's an awful purdy car you got there, Hib.

Corvette(s)
    2006 C6Z DSOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hib, I would have sub'd PS2's for your road trip. They work very well, and last a long time. Your "cups" are going to be junk by the time you get to Santa Barbara. That's a shame because those cups are great tires, just not for the purpose you're using them for. Oh well, it's too late now, enjoy your trip! (How's the cabin heat?)

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by NORTY View Post
    Hib, I would have sub'd PS2's for your road trip. They work very well, and last a long time. Your "cups" are going to be junk by the time you get to Santa Barbara. That's a shame because those cups are great tires, just not for the purpose you're using them for. Oh well, it's too late now,

enjoy your trip!
    So far, we are. Even took the time to stop off at Auto Masters of Bowling Green, (best Corvette service shop in town, IMO) and have a few mods done. I put set of Weathertech Floorliners in the footwells. I know, I know...a lot of people will question the astetics of them but for folks who do a lot of road trips with their cars, they really do a great job of keeping the carpets clean and in good condition. After a few days on the road, especially if the weather is crap, you simply lift out the Floorliner, shake the dirt, stones, trash or whatever out of it and stick it back in the car. If they are muddy, I turn the hose on them, then wipe them dry with a towel. We also put one of Weathertech's Cargo Liners in the back. I have those things in my C4 and in my S10 Blazer and they are great for vehicles in which you do long road trips and carry a lot of baggage/cargo. Again, the advantages of the Weathertech Cargo Liner are: 1)easy to clean and 2) keep the underlying carpet like new.

There are other "rip off" products out there which look the same but I like Weathertech stuff because 1) it's made in the USA 2) I never have a problem with fit and 3) the stuff is incredibly durable. The Cargoliners I have in my C4 and my Blazer are 15 or so years old.

I've got a little over 1000 miles on the engine so it was time for the first oil and filter change. Typically, I do the first change at 500-1000 miles. I had Auto Masters replace the 5W30 engine oil with Red Line 10W30 and install a new AC PF48R oil filter.

(How's the cabin heat?)
    "Cabin heat"?
    We don't need no f&%king "cabin heat".
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 11-30-15 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Reduced content

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

We didn't arrive until about 3:30. Maybe Friday.
    Hey Catbert....your Wife gave my Wife you cell no. I'll try calling you later this morning. We're going to so the S12 seminar then I'll try giving you a ring.

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by THowie View Post
    That's an awful purdy car you got there, Hib.
    Thanks "THowie"
    I see you've only made two posts.
    Welcome to the CAC

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Last night (Saturday)my Wife, Sandra the Red, Duchess of Goleta, and I had dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Catbert and the owners of C-Magic Wax, Kermit and Shirley Dye, at the Outback in Bowling Green. There was plenty of beer, Outback 'ritas and juicy Outback steaks. A good time was had by all.

This morning, at 0-dark:30, we fired up the Carlisle Blue Z, went south on 65 to Nashville, then west on 40 headed for Chechotah Oklahoma. Turns out, that was a great place to stop because right now (10:02 PM Central) there are T-storms, big hail and tornados to the north and west. Hopefully, the severe weather will have dissapated by early tomorrow and we can continue on our trip to Santa Fe NM where Sandra the Red is going to do some power shopping.

I decided to name the car "Blue Bullet 2". It's running great. We've gotten 21.6 mph for a combination of city and highway.

As for more of my impressions....

We've got 1847 miles on the car at this point so, today, I did several off-then-on-again tests along I-40. That big 427 is a freakin' animal between 5000 and 6800 rpm. I'd accelerate hard in first gear from a roll. Because we've got so much weight in the car, it won't spin the tires. I'd shift to second go all the way to 7000 then short/short/short shift to sixth and coast down to 70 or so. What a hoot!. While running to 7-grand is fun, we've got to get out of Oklahoma quick as the OKSPC (Oklahoma society for prevention of cruelty to bugs) is going to be looking for us this morning as, looking at the front of our car, we kill a billion or so bugs.

dsc_1722-jpg
    Insects were killed in the process of producing this blog. Image: Sandy Rubel.

Now a shout-out to the GM people on the Corvette Team both in Michigan and at B.G. Assembly. By our 3rd or 4th day of ownership, Sandy and I had noticed that under some lighting conditions, the Carlisle Blue (also known at "Space Blue" to some in GM) on the hood didn't match that on the front fenders and front fascia.

Through Kermit Dye at C-Magic Wax, I met Eric Millette, who works at B.G. Assembly on exterior finish issues. He and I went out to the car, which was parked on NCM's lot, and together we looked at the car from different angles. He said he wanted to get a second set of eyes on the hood so he called the Plant's Engineering Manager, Tom Hill, who also came and looked. We all agreed there was a problem. Later another paint expert from the Plant showed up with a device which measures the light reflected from a painted surface. He took measurements which would help the B.G. paint shop learn more about the specifics of the less than optimum paint match.

So...what's the origin of the problem? Tom Hill filled me in...

The CF hood used on the ZR-1 and Z06es w. B92 is the only two-piece CF panel on the car. It's made of an outer skin (in the ZR-1's case there's a hole in it) and an inner panel to which all the hood hardware is attached. The bonding agent which holds the two parts together will not tolerate the high temperature in the drying ovens through which the rest of the body parts are sent. Consequently, the hoods are painted off-site, by the hood's supplier which is somewhere in Ohio, I think. Additionally, the process used to paint and dry the panels in Bowling Green is not the same as that used to paint the CF hoods. As a result, with certain of the Corvette's metallic paint palette which are difficult colors to match (Carlisle Blue being one of them), there have been paint match problems on cars with CF hoods.

What Tom and Eric decided to do is ship a second hood to my local Chevrolet dealer in California. When it arrives, I'll take the car over there, they'll swap the hoods and return the old one to GM. This all will be covered under warranty.

I appreciate the efforts the B.G. Assembly Plant people made on my behalf. It saved me the trouble of starting from "square 1" with my dealer.

Heck, it's Tom Hill's "fault" I had to buy this car in the first place (see Learning Launch Control....How any Writer can be a Great Drag Racer) The least he could have done was help me get a better paint match on the hood....and he did!

Thanks to all the GM men and women from both Detroit and B.G. Assembly for all they did to make the Bash weekend educational and enjoyable for all the 900+ Corvetters who attended.

And, as for "Paul T"... don't worry to much, Paul, about having a yellow car instead of a much faster blue one. You can always add nitrous oxide to your engine. I hear there are several aftermarket vendors who've taken pitty on yellow Z06 owners and will discount by 10%.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It's really cool that GM is stepping up with a new hood so early in the game. That's a great looking car.

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    1967(427/400),2011(Z06)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It's really cool that GM is stepping up with a new hood so early in the game. That's a great looking car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Last night (Saturday)my Wife, Sandra the Red, Duchess of Goleta, and I had dinner with Mr. and Mrs. Catbert and the owners of C-Magic Wax, Kermit and Shirley Dye, at the Outback in Bowling Green. There was plenty of beer, Outback 'ritas and juicy Outback steaks. A good time was had by all.

This morning, at 0-dark:30, we fired up the Carlisle Blue Z, went south on 65 to Nashville, then west on 40 headed for Chechotah Oklahoma. Turns out, that was a great place to stop because right now (10:02 PM Central) there are T-storms, big hail and tornados to the north and west. Hopefully, the severe weather will have dissapated by early tomorrow and we can continue on our trip to Santa Fe NM where Sandra the Red is going to do some power shopping.

I decided to name the car "Blue Bullet 2". It's running great. We've gotten 21.6 mph for a combination of city and highway.

As for more of my impressions....

We've got 1847 miles on the car at this point so, today, I did several off-then-on-again tests along I-40. That big 427 is a freakin' animal between 5000 and 6800 rpm. I'd accelerate hard in first gear from a roll. Because we've got so much weight in the car, it won't spin the tires. I'd shift to second go all the way to 7000 then short/short/short shift to sixth and coast down to 70 or so. What a hoot!. While running to 7-grand is fun, we've got to get out of Oklahoma quick as the OKSPC (Oklahoma society for prevention of cruelty to bugs) is going to be looking for us this morning as, looking at the front of our car, we kill a billion or so bugs.

dsc_1722-jpg

Now a shout-out to the GM people on the Corvette Team both in Michigan and at B.G. Assembly. By our 3rd or 4th day of ownership, Sandy and I had noticed that under some lighting conditions, the Carlisle Blue (also known at "Space Blue" to some in GM) on the hood didn't match that on the front fenders and front fascia.

Through Kermit Dye at C-Magic Wax, I met Eric Millette, who works at B.G. Assembly on exterior finish issues. He and I went out to the car, which was parked on NCM's lot, and together we looked at the car from different angles. He said he wanted to get a second set of eyes on the hood so he called the Plant's Engineering Manager, Tom Hill, who also came and looked. We all agreed there was a problem. Later another paint expert from the Plant showed up with a device which measures the light reflected from a painted surface. He took measurements which would help the B.G. paint shop learn more about the specifics of the less than optimum paint match.

So...what's the origin of the problem? Tom Hill filled me in...

The CF hood used on the ZR-1 and Z06es w. B92 is the only two-piece CF panel on the car. It's made of an outer skin (in the ZR-1's case there's a hole in it) and an inner panel to which all the hood hardware is attached. The bonding agent which holds the two parts together will not tolerate the high temperature in the drying ovens through which the rest of the body parts are sent. Consequently, the hoods are painted off-site, by the hood's supplier which is somewhere in Ohio, I think. Additionally, the process used to paint and dry the panels in Bowling Green is not the same as that used to paint the CF hoods. As a result, with certain of the Corvette's metallic paint palette which are difficult colors to match (Carlisle Blue being one of them), there have been paint match problems on cars with CF hoods.

What Tom and Eric decided to do is ship a second hood to my local Chevrolet dealer in California. When it arrives, I'll take the car over there, they'll swap the hoods and return the old one to GM. This all will be covered under warranty.

I appreciate the efforts the B.G. Assembly Plant people made on my behalf. It saved me the trouble of starting from "square 1" with my dealer.

Heck, it's Tom Hill's "fault" I had to buy this car in the first place (see Learning Launch Control....How any Writer can be a Great Drag Racer) The least he could have done was help me get a better paint match on the hood....and he did!

Thanks to all the GM men and women from both Detroit and B.G. Assembly for all they did to make the Bash weekend educational and enjoyable for all the 900+ Corvetters who attended.

And, as for "Paul T"... don't worry to much, Paul, about having a yellow car instead of a much faster blue one. You can always add nitrous oxide to your engine. I hear there are several aftermarket vendors who've taken pitty on yellow Z06 owners and will discount by 10%.
    Sounds like you're making good time and sticking with the schedule. You must have caught a draft with a yellow Corvette.
    Paul
    NCM Life Member #300
    NCM Founding Member #615
    NCM Ambassador
    NCRS Member #10460
    NCM 2003 Caravan Captain-SoCal
    NCM 2014 Caravan National Chair
    NCM Board of Directors

Corvette(s)
    1996 LT1- Blk/Blk. 1996 LT4 - White/Blk
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

WOW! What an awesome Tru Blu Corvette for a Tru Blu Corvette man! Congratulations Hib!

As a C4 man, I never cared for the other body styles, but man-o-man these C6's are REALLY growing on me, I LIKE!!!
    "I hate Rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it." Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove.

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Giving Cup Tires a Wet Workout

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Slim View Post
    WOW! What an awesome Tru Blu Corvette for a Tru Blu Corvette man! Congratulations Hib!

(snip)
    Thanks, Slim! But...I don't feel "blu".

At this point in time, we've had the Blue Bullet II home in Goleta CA for about 10 days. The rest of our road trip, after we left BG was just a great time...even with somemore bad weather we had in Oklahoma. Man was it bad. We rolled into Checotah after a 10-hr run from Bowling Green. To the north and west were thunderstorms, hail and tornado warnings. Good thing we hadn't intended to drive another hour or so to OKC or we'd have gotten hammered.

767-03-jpg
    We woke up to this on the Wunderground site's radar page. The night before was even worse! Image: Sandy Rubel

As it was, the next morning there was more thunderstorms and hail–but no tornadoes thankfully–but this time it was right on top of us. High winds, lightning, thunder, hail and torrential rain. We decided to delay our departure, sit out in front of our hotel room sipping coffee and watch the rain and lightning for a while.

767-01-jpg
    In this kind of weather, with PS Cups on the car–we wait. Image: Sandy Rubel

Once the high winds and hail abated we got rolling west on I-40. I'll say that, this trip was an unexpected but educational "work-out" for the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup tires we had on the car. I was surprised at them working reasonably well in the wet. The Cups exceeded my expectations. Looks like we're on the way to a tread life of 8,000-10,000 miles.

This discussion of the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup in wet weather needs some closing, cautionary statements. These tires are not for everyone. They are a very aggressive, near-race tire with short tread life, lots of grip, and increased tread noise. To drive them in bad weather requires some wet weather driving experience to have the ability to feel and recognize when a tire is hydroplaning and have the judgement necessary to know when to keep driving and when to get off the road until the weather gets better. If you don't have that experience, don't get caught in the rain with PS Cup tires. Lastly a word on tread depth: a Cup tire's ability to channel water away from the tread and prevent hydroplaning decreases as tread depth decreases, so, while you might be able to whiz along at the speed limit in moderate rain if the tires are near full tread depth, however, once they get down to the wear bars, their safe speed in moderate rain will be less. Keep that last statement in mind if you use PS Cups for normal Corvette driving.

Bottom line on the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tire?

They are an outstanding choice for aggressive street or track use in dry weather. In "normal" everyday driving duty, they probably will last longer than some folks think, but if you run your car hard on the street; don't expect much tread life because they are a soft-compound, almost-a-racing-tire. They are useable in moderate wet weather driving conditions provided they have adequate tread depth. Do not drive on them in heavy rain or through standing water. PS Cups on snow and ice? Forget it.

More on road tripping with my C6 Z06 soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pilotsportcup_zp-cutaway-sm-jpg   dsc_9396-jpg   767-04-jpg   767-05-jpg  
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 09-12-13 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Reduced content

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast