$projecthp
  • Blue Bullet Blog-The C6 Ownership Experience

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526
    Blue Bullet Blog-The C6 Ownership Experience Tuna's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

What's the latest on the blue-bullet?
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    HyperDeath

Murder mysteries!

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The short answer is: the car's going back to Katech for a third visit, this time at their expense. The long answer is coming soon.

Blue Bullet Blog-The C6 Ownership Experience Tuna's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    The short answer is: the car's going back to Katech for a third visit, this time at their expense. The long answer is coming soon.
    Are you planning to buy a C8?
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    HyperDeath

Murder mysteries!

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

No. In fact, we just took delivery of a C7 ZR-1. After studying the C8 issue, I decided that, for what we like to do with Corvettes–long road trips–the ME car would not make much sense as the rumor is that it has less room for luggage. I was able to find a dealer who'd sell one to us at sticker so we took a Museum Delivery on the Last Great Front Engine Corvette.
    Last edited by Hib Halverson; 04-24-19 at 01:52 PM.

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

By the time I had 3000 miles on the engine since the rebuild, it was obvious to me, via careful checking of oil levels using the required "LS7 procedure" (run engine until oil temp is at lest 150°F, shut the engine off, wait exactly five-minutes then check the oil) starting as soon as I left Katech with the rebuilt engine, that the engine's oil consumption was, once again, in my opinion, too high.

Katech asked me to observe the oil use checking procedure GM dealers use when dealing with a customer complaint of high oil consumption. One facet of that procedure is there must be at least 4000 miles on a "new" engine before a dealer can conduct an oil use test. Katech and I agreed that I'd continue to monitor oil use until the 5000 mile mark. Actually, I went to over 5000 miles. Oil use worsened after the first 3000 miles and continued to gradually increase until I ended the test at 5358-miles after the rebuild. I should add that in my opinion, for the near $20,000.00 one pays for a Katech engine which is broken in on an engine dyno, from "day one", its oil use in a normal street duty cycle should stabilize at a reasonable rate and do so sooner than 4000 miles.

In reality, since it was rebuilt, in 5358 miles, my Street Attack LS7 has used 7.4995-qts for an average of 714 miles per quart. In the last 764 miles of this test, it used 2 ⅛-qts or 359.5 miles per qt.

When I picked up the car after the rebuild at Katech at the end of October 2018, I promised Katech President, Steve Spurr, that I would not make any changes in calibration for the first 4000 miles. Once the rebuilt engine reached 4000 miles, I began working on idle quality, again. You have to understand that when it comes to tuning, I'm much more into idle and part-throttle drivability that are most DIY "tuners". I started with the calibration Katech put in the ECM after the rebuild, which, I might add, was better idle-wise than was the first Katech cal. The only tables I changed were idle spark advance, tables controlling adaptive spark and adaptive throttle opening, along with re-enabling DFCO. The result was a relatively smooth, 700-rpm idle...not as smooth as a stock LS7, but considering the Torquer 116 cam has a bit more overlap and 5.5° less lobe separation, the idle is pretty nice.

Other than that, I've made no changes to Katech calibration. I did install my wideband O2 sensor and ran some on-road acceleration tests (uphill, third gear, 1500-7000 rpm) which seem to indicate the engine is rich at wide-open throttle but, if that's the way Katech wants it's Street Attack LS7s calibrated, it is what it is.

While it is true that, technically, I've voided Katech's warranty, again, I'm confident that there is no freakin' way that modestly changing the tables for idle spark and adaptive idle functions would cause oil consumption to skyrocket. I defy anyone who feels otherwise to prove that it will.

I've had some PMs from other ZO6ers on the Corvette Forum about pistons which suggest maybe the type of piston, ie: Mahle forged in combination with the required piston-to-bore clearance is causing the problem. GM is using a forged Mahle piston in the ’19 ZR-1's LT5. Over 2000 ZR-1s are on the road at this point. My guess is, of the first 1500 or so, there are enough cars with 4000 or more miles on the engines that if the LT5 had an oil consumption problem because of its pistons in normal street use, we'd have known about it by now. Also, GMs Performance and Racing Center builds 5.5L V8s for Corvette Racing. The cylinder case in the 5.5 is an LS7 block and GM uses a forged piston. At LeMans in 2018, those engines used half a quart of oil in the 3000 race miles run over 24-hours in that race.

My belief is that, this time, the problem with high oil use is related to rings, ring end gap, oil drain back holes or cylinder wall preparation, but that’s just speculation on my part based on some conversations I’ve had with a friend of mine who owns an aftermarket piston company.

I just bought a Snap-On borescope and plan using this this coming weekend to see if I can get a good look at the cylinder walls.

My belief is that getting reasonable oil consumption from a Katech Street Attack LS7 is not "rocket science". Lastly, my definition of "reasonable" is half or better of the oil use a stock LS7 exhibits. When it was stock, my LS7 used a quart of oil every 8000-10,000 miles of "normal" driving, so my hope would be that a Katech Street Attack LS7 could exhibit oil consumption of 4000-5000-miles per quart in a "normal driving" duty cycle.

Katech is aware that the rebuild’s oil use is just about as bad as that of the original build. This time, Katech has agreed to pay to ship the car back to them, again, and further, has agreed to cover the cost of a second rebuild. There is a thread on the CF about all of this which has more detail.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That's way too much oil, just change the filter and your good to go. Normally cat's don't go bad from oil contamination, but in this case with that much oil I would be concerned.

I wonder if the ME C8 was designed to hold 2 golf bags?
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    71 04 12 19
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yesterday morning, Pilot transport picked-up the "Blue Bullet" and will take it to their yard in Brighton MI by way of Arizona and Indiana, two stops the driver must make to pick-up other vehicles.

Pilot Transport's, Ann Ruble, first put paper floor mats in the car then covered the seat with plastic.

Pilot Transport driver, Phil Ruble, loading the Blue Bullet for it's third trip to Katech.

I should add that, this is the second time I've worked with Pilot Transport.This time my driver was Phil Ruble who has his Wife, Ann, along with him to assist in loading cars and doing clerical work. Pilot Transport personnel have done an excellent job for me in getting this car back to Katech, twice, now. Pilot also has some of the best rates for closed trailer transportation of collector and special interest vehicles. Anyone needing to have a car shipped should consider Pilot Transport.

Phil Ruble told me the car will arrive at Pilot's yard in Brighton a week from today. Once it arrives, Katech's people will pick the car up and take it to their facility on Clinton Township.

Hopefully, after a few months and a third rebuild, my Street Attack LS7's days of oil ingestion will be over.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526