• Mid - America car cover disaster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Corvette(s)
    2006 LeMans Blue Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default car cover disaster

i don't know if you priced how much it is to replace them, but i have been told approx. $2,000 each. this is why we are making a case against
    Mid-America. a company like that , you would think would make things right, instead of dodging their responsibility.

Banned
    Corvette(s)
    2006 LeMans Blue Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default mid-america car cover disaster

If as someone stated that it might be from sand in Arizona, then how do you explain it happening where i live in Salem,Va.i don't know where the yellow Corvette is located.
    no sand around here in Salem, Va. just outside of Roanoke,Va.

Banned
    Corvette(s)
    2006 LeMans Blue Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default mid america car cover disaster

now we have Corvettes located in Indiana, Arizona and Virginia all with identical problems.all having the car covers from Mid-America. coinsidence, i don't think so!

Banned
    Corvette(s)
    2006 LeMans Blue Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default mid America

Quote Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
    Roger...are you saying the only reason you joined the CAC was to post your opinions on a car cover?

If so, why not post your images so we all can see them and decide for ourselves?

Lastly, do you attribute the damage to the car cover maker or do you hold Mid America responsible for the damage?
    i and the Corvette owner from Arizona hold Mid-America responsible. this happened ONLY after using their car cover and now i see another one, the yellow one, from Indiana. Coincidence, i don't think so. So buyer BEWARE!

Corvette(s)
    2006 Velocity Yellow
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Roger,

Remember, I said that my covers started cracking before I had the cover.

A more plausible explanation is a heat related issue. The DRLs generate a lot of heat that is always there when you are driving. I would bet money that not all of the cars with this problem have been covered with a Typhoon cover from Mid America.

I would just like to know if anyone has though of what can be done so that, when replaced, the covers do not start cracking again in 5-6 years.

BTW - You can get replacement covers and do the fix yourself or send off your lights and have it done for about $700 the pair. That includes new lenses and labor.
    Randy Smith, Kokomo, Indiana
    Velocity Yellow 2006 6sp, Z51

Corvette(s)
    2008 blue coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Crazed headlights

I have seen it and had happen to my vette. Luckly under the warranty. Its called crazing or delaminating on the inside of your lenses. It is covered under your bumper to bumper but not under the extended warranty. The headlights go for about $1000 each from GM. You can get them cheaper used. You have to take the front (nose) bumper off. They are bolted to the nose. Its easy, ask any body shop that has popped the nose off. Good luck. PS , it had nothing to do with your cover..

Corvette(s)
    2002 electron blue coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thats why I love c-5s

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The only owner generated lens problem I've heard of is installation the cling-on "lens protector" that sometimes cause the "crazing" shown in the picture. Blaming any car cover is a pretty big stretch, but you never know.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

Corvette(s)
    03 Z-51,78 L82 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by catbert View Post
    Blaming any car cover is a pretty big stretch,
    Yeah,Your right!~!!
    They "ALL" do it,Don't matter if it a Toyoyo,Mazda,KIA,Ford,Chrysler,GM or any other manufacturer,If they are Plastic,Their going to start crazing 3-8 years depending exposure to Elements,Heat and Ultra Violet Light and Extremities their of!~!!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous

Corvette(s)
    2006 C6Z DSOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Lens crazing is caused by heat cycling.

So, here's what we've got~

1. DRL's are on all the time and they get warm. (Unless you turn them off, like I do.) They've been known to get warm enough to melt/distort the plastic ABS connector, causing failure.

2. I'm not familiar with the "Typhoon" cover specifically, but I do have a cheap cover for my car in the garage. If the Typhoon cover is stretched tightly over the lenses while sitting in the sun, would it heat the lenses enough to cause crazing? Does this sound plausible? I don't know what the "threshold" is for crazing on these lenses, but it seems some people have met it.

3. I can see the crazing being a recall issue since it would be "safety" related. Well, maybe not as the lamps still work, only thru crazed lenses. NHTSB might/might not help here.

1 thing we can agree on. @ $970 apiece, they aren't cheap!

Mid - America car cover disaster Chas's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1973 L-48 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Why attack MAM?

I can understand making a statement to warn folks of an issue, but the manufacturer of the cover should be the one to contact not the retailer, unless it was a MAM made product.

I personally have never had an issue with MAM , I just don't understand why the OP feels they are responsable for the issue.
    "Every man dies, not every man really lives......."
    Likes Bill781 liked this post

Corvette(s)
    1996 grand sport
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It has NOTHING to do with car covers. I am on my 2nd set on my 2007. no my replacements are having the same issue again. I never used a car cover.Everyone complains about excess litigation in the USA until they have to pay for something. Then comes the blame game. Suck it up and pay to have it fixed

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

You do realize this thread is almost 9 years old, right? But your answer is still appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandle View Post
    It has NOTHING to do with car covers. I am on my 2nd set on my 2007. no my replacements are having the same issue again. I never used a car cover.Everyone complains about excess litigation in the USA until they have to pay for something. Then comes the blame game. Suck it up and pay to have it fixed
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe

Likes vett boy liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12