Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1990 ZR-1 - Bright Red / Black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default GM Just Can't Win! Corvette Ends Up In The Cellar In $50k Convertible Comparo

GM Just Can't Win! Corvette Ends Up In The Cellar In $50k Convertible Comparo

Boy, when you're on a losing streak sometimes you just can't get a break.

In this case, the shining star of GM's faithful, the Chevrolet Corvette, gets TROUNCED in this month's C&D's $50k convertible comparo.

If you are a believer that the Corvette is the BEST GM can do, then you'll be in tears when you see the cars ahead of the supposed 'Ferrari for 1/3 the price'.

Ready for the ranking?

Full Article: GM Just Can't Win! Corvette Ends Up In The Cellar In $50k Convertible Comparo - AutoSpies Auto News
    Rob Loszewski, Owner & Site Administrator
    Corvette Action Center
    Cadillac V-Net
    Cadillac XLR Net
    Torque Network
    VetteTube
    NCRS Member #27792
    "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt." - Sun Tzu

1990 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 , 350 Stock ZF 6-speed. Stock Bright Red

Corvette(s)
    2001 SLP Camaro SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Auto magazines have been anti-American for quite some time now. If it's not European or Japanese it might as well be crap in their eyes.

I blame the automotive press for a LOT of the downturn in the American car.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Not placing higher than an Audi TT does hurt.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I used to have subscriptions to all these mags, but i quit years ago. i only read them when in the dentist's office. the reason: they write about very unusual VERY high end cars. I cant blame them, otherwise it becomes Consumer's Reports. Yet why must i read about cars that I not only cannot affort, but I never see and wouldnt know where to buy one if I could. They make it sound that all these foreign cars are so great but they never tell you the service these beauties need. The Ferrari for example NEEDS frequent timing belt changes as well as other adjustments. They cost thou$ands to keep up. Why dont they do an article about the BMW which co$ts a ton and is built like a watch, yet it has major transmission/electrical problems after a couple of years?? Service/ repair costs are amazing.
    They always compare car costs using MSRP to MSRP, but the american cars are often heavily discounted. Look at the Mercedes (any of them) they tell you of the high resale value but they totally ignore the discounts of their competitors and the only cars that bring high$$ are the ones with FULL service documentation/ dealer sales. This service costs a fortune which they don't count, and the dealer provides a warranty. A private sale is not so fortunate. In short the car mags are very one sided toward the foreign makes, and now why tout a car that will most likely be gone. In a business sense, why bother with GM when you will get nothing out of it in the future??

GM Just Can't Win! Corvette Ends Up In The Cellar In k Convertible Comparo 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Say what they want, ...

... Corvette Roadster's Rule!

Later . . . . . .
    6 Shooter

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

To each their own. I wouldn't want a Boxster, a Z4 OR a TT. I have nothing against them, but I LOVE my Corvette. If those who own the other "winners" feel the same way - well, isn't that what owning a car is all about? And I also gave up on those mags, especially Consumer Reports years ago. Every import I ever owned was one year and out for me. But the way CR foams at the mouth when testing an import made me sick. Wonder why they never blew their horns about a Daewoo or a Simca??

9 times out of 10 when I'm tooling around Marquette on beautiful Lake Superior I see the same guy in his Z4, and I can see the "Damn, I wish I had a Corvette" look on his face.

But maybe guys like us are truly "old school", although you wouldn't know it from the "classic" car rallys they have around here...

Corvette(s)
    10 Grand Sport Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

An Audi TT is better than a C6 Vert!

Corvette(s)
    2001 SLP Camaro SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well, pretty soon most of these car magazines will be out of business and their former employees will be driving used Yugos.

Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Green Journalism

Quote Originally Posted by Baldilocks View Post
    Well, pretty soon most of these car magazines will be out of business and their former employees will be driving used Yugos.
    You may have something here. At some point to save their jobs, just before they are out of business, they will be writing about all the great gas mileage and low pollution levels of the green cars they will teach us to love. Like the Fiat 500 challenger, or the Corvette hybrid, or the Porsche diesel.
    They already have sections that mention fuel economy and greenness.
    NASCAR will be replaced by Smart Car races.

Corvette(s)
    2000 Navy Blue Coupe A4 Z51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I don't about you, but I grew up listening to "Surfin' USA" and "409" NOT "Surfin DDR" or "3 liter Porsche"! All my life (well at least from the Mid-Year time frame) I've wanted a Corvette. Never had any desire to own a Porsche or Audi or ..... well, you get my drift. I can appreciate all of the technicial improvements, but when it gets right down to it, I would rather own a ratty, (pick any year here), Vette than a brand new "off-shored" anything. Next in line would be a Viper, then a Mustang (did I just say that???), then an older muscle car. Rant over!
    Andy
    Andy Anderson - PROUD VIETNAM VETERAN.

Vietnam Veterans Corvette Club - Founding Member #1

"Dream as if you'll live forever...........Live as though you'll die today" - James Dean

"Money isn't everything.........but it SURE DOES keep the kids in touch!"

Corvette(s)
    2003 50th Annversary Red coupe, beautiful !
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Baldilocks View Post

Ya know Baldi, I'm 58 and I can't remember the last time any of the car magazines like C&D or Motor Trend or Automobile ever had a good word for anything domestic. Hell if it were a test between a Corvette and a Wheel barrow, the damn wheel Barrow would come up roses. I quit reading that one-sided crap long ago. I bet my brother in law a $50 bet if he could find ANYTHING in a Consumer Reports that even mentioned a single good word about a domestic car. That was twenty years ago and I've still got the fifty bucks in my pocket.

Gone but not forgotten
    Corvette(s)
    2010 ZR1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I'm in the group that didn't renew several car mags. C&D, MT,R&T.
    Too pro European and Japanese cars.

BTW, I've had two C5 convertibles and love 'em.
    Zippy
    2010 Blade Silver ZR1
    NCM Master Ambassador & Lifetime Member
    Join the NCM, 1.800.53.VETTE

Corvette(s)
    2001 SLP Camaro SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by killain View Post
    Ya know Baldi, I'm 58 and I can't remember the last time any of the car magazines like C&D or Motor Trend or Automobile ever had a good word for anything domestic. Hell if it were a test between a Corvette and a Wheel barrow, the damn wheel Barrow would come up roses. I quit reading that one-sided crap long ago. I bet my brother in law a $50 bet if he could find ANYTHING in a Consumer Reports that even mentioned a single good word about a domestic car. That was twenty years ago and I've still got the fifty bucks in my pocket.
    Seems the only time the Corvette comes out on top is when they compare it with the Viper.

Corvette(s)
    '07 Monterey Red/Cashmere Vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    ... Corvette Roadster's Rule!

Later . . . . . .
    6 Shooter
    I'll second that!!!!

An Audi TT is better than a Vette???

jimmyb

I think the car they used (A rental!!!!! GM could not supply a corvette convertible????) had some issues. .83G on the skidpad is certainly a sign that this particular corvette had some issue (alignment?). Also, it was a base car but they noted squealing brakes (a condition usually found in Z51/F55 cars with drilled rotors and different pads, not base cars). All in all, I thought the test was a little silly because of the use of a rental car. And, I certainly won't be cross shopping the other brands (as I suspect the owners of Audi/BMW/Porsche won't be looking at corvettes).

Jimmy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast