$projecthp
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Pitted aluminum wheels 6 Shooter's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    Carbon Flash CE 4LT GS Roadster
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Ya might want to check into putting tape weights on the insides, look much better...

BTW - Welcome to the

Corvette(s)
    2004 Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Shooter View Post
    BTW - Welcome to the

I'll definitely look into the tape weights - thanks! I'll post before-and-after pics of my rear tire which I'll be doing this weekend, and the pic will show the center hubs all stripped and polished too. And thanks for the welcome! This is actually my second Corvette. When I was 18 years old, I bought a 1969 L-46 coupe (Daytona yellow) 4-speed for $3,500 (in 1974). Had to get rid of it within a year (sad) so 40 years later, I kept a promise to myself to get another Vette. Another update: On the sanding process, I actually made 200 passes with the sandpaper grits for each section of the rim. There may be an easier way but I simply know that the way I did it produces stunning results. I considered REALLY grinding deep with the drill brush into the rims to remove the pitting but I didn't want to mess up the structure of the rim. It's possible that you can go deeper with no harm -- I just didn't want to take the chance.

Corvette(s)
    2004 Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Robert192 View Post
    I'll definitely look into the tape weights - thanks! I'll post before-and-after pics of my rear tire which I'll be doing this weekend, and the pic will show the center hubs all stripped and polished too. And thanks for the welcome! This is actually my second Corvette. When I was 18 years old, I bought a 1969 L-46 coupe (Daytona yellow) 4-speed for $3,500 (in 1974). Had to get rid of it within a year (sad) so 40 years later, I kept a promise to myself to get another Vette. Another update: On the sanding process, I actually made 200 passes with the sandpaper grits for each section of the rim. There may be an easier way but I simply know that the way I did it produces stunning results. I considered REALLY grinding deep with the drill brush into the rims to remove the pitting but I didn't want to mess up the structure of the rim. It's possible that you can go deeper with no harm -- I just didn't want to take the chance.
    There's been some debate about clear coat versus no clear coat, so I thought I'd show a quick comparison. Recognizing that the non-clearcoated wheels will require more maintenance, it's up to you to decide whether the extra work is worth it. Being old school and fondly remembering (and loving) the chrome Cragar SS wheels, I lean towards a chrome look, so I love the "naked" wheels (as some refer to them). I also stuck a pic of my 2004 C-5 with the wheels after the clearcoat was removed.

Here are the pics.rim-clear-jpgrim-without-clear-jpgvette-jpg

Corvette(s)
    2004 Corvette Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Did a little polishing and cleaning up of my rims this weekend. Thought I'd post a pic. I still have the wheel weights on the outside - new tires next spring and they will be removed (finally).

Here are the pics.polished-aluminum-rim-jpg
    Likes Toms007, irongate, superbike1 liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12