Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Remote CD changer wiring hotmtrsports's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    75 Stroker 4spd Frame Off, 05 Cpe 6spd
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I thought of that, but I'm thinking about the long trips when a different music mood strikes and the trunk is full.

Chuck

Corvette(s)
    2008 Crystal Red Tint Coat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rich
    Thanks for all the help.
    There are several CD changers up for bid on E-bay that I am watching.

Don
    there is one for sale $150 at yellowcv@nb.net not mine
    retired race engine builder,former NASCAR tech inspector,corvette owner since 1959, new corvettes owned,59,62,63,64,65,66,97,99,02,05, 2008 is in my garage, 2008 sold and waiting for my C-7

VAmagred01

I'm also about to install a OEM 12-disc changer in my '01 Coupe. I ordered the wiring harness kit from radiosandmore.com ($95). I'm planning to have a local stereo-installation store (Tweeter) do the work. Here are my three questions:

1. Which compartment in the rear are factory-installed units mounted (left, center or right)?
    2. Does the passenger seat have to be removed to install the harness properly (per an earlier post)?
    3. Should I have this work done at my local, Chevy dealer?

Thanks for your help,
    Kenny

Corvette(s)
    67 & 03
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Kenny;
    1. center left.
    Also if you got the GM kit, then it came with instructions. If you did not get the GM kit, then you paid way too much for a harness. You need the GM kit to get the proper mounting bracket, other wise they'll do a ****y install.

VAmagred01

Default Ken

I bought the GM kit....I haven't received it (keep missing the UPS Delivery) so I didn't know if the instructions showed mounting location or not. I already have the mounting brackets....I bought the changer from a gentleman on this site who included the brackets...so I guess I'll have duplicates. Thanks for the info.

Kenny

fdxpilot

The kit is designed to mount in the center storage well. I have heard of some folks modifying the brackets to fit one of the side wells, as they wanted the center well for a subwoofer, or something else. When doing the wiring, I did not remove my seat, or the plastic panel covering the inside of the B-pillar. This is a review I did of the installation for another site:

"Car Details: 2002 Coupe, w/ factory CD head unit
    Time to Install: 1-3 hours
    Reversible: Yes, but may be difficult
    Value: 9
    Description: Factory CD Changer and harness, from Bob at Ken Fichtner. A great addition if you didn't get one from the factory, and aren't planning on pulling the whole Bose system out.
    Experiences: Install was easy. The only time consuming part was letting the epoxy dry. I used 5-minute and it was set up in 5, but had to cure for an hour.
    Installation: The only difference on a 2002 is the front panel over the fuse box no longer has latches like the rear compartments. It is velcroed at the top and has two pins at the bottom that fit in receptacles below fuse box, so you just pull the top towards you and it pops right out. The only hard part was getting the harness through the B-pillar area. I couldn't get this trim piece out, so I popped the speaker grill and routed the harness behind the speaker. All other trim pieces were relatively easy to remove and reinstall

Comments: Works great, within the limitations of the factory system. I got the Changer for $374 and the harness for $90, (although Bob just had a price increase to 419/95)so it was $130 less than the factory option
    Generation: C5"

Corvette(s)
    2002, 2003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

One more question. I have seen some talk that if a CD player/radio is installed the CD changer in the rear won't work. It only will work if a cassette/radio is installed in the car. I was looking at part number
    In 1997 and 1998 C5 model years, there was some concern over this. But it has nothhing to do with whether the head unit has a Cassette or not... and EVERYTHING to do if whether the head unit has a button labled "AUX" or not.

As long as your factory head unit has an "AUX" button, a remote CD changer will work.

Here are 4 pages from the factory installation guide:

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/unxp...s/changer1.jpg

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/unxp...s/changer2.jpg

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/unxp...s/changer3.jpg

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/unxp...s/changer4.jpg

Remote CD changer wiring hotmtrsports's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    75 Stroker 4spd Frame Off, 05 Cpe 6spd
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

fdxpilot:

Can you tell us what the GM part numbers were for the unit and the wiring harness?

Thanks,

Chuck

fdxpilot

Quote Originally Posted by hotmtrsports
    fdxpilot:

Can you tell us what the GM part numbers were for the unit and the wiring harness?

Thanks,

Chuck
    Not offhand, but here is a link to where I bought my stuff. I think the part No. for the harness varies by model year. Bob in the parts dept. at Fichtner Chevy is real good about answering questions. http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/ken...rtspage6.shtml

Also, with respect to your head unit, Mike Mercury is right, if it had an AUX button, you can add a changer. My 02 had a CD head unit, and I added a changer. I think the confusion comes from the fact that, when the CD unit was made standard equipment, you could only get a Cassette head unit if you ordered the 12 Disc Changer also.

Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Great instructions

Thanks, this really gave me a much better understanding of what is needed to be done.

Alan
    May Our Trails Meet!

Corvette(s)
    2000 Hatchback Lt Pewter
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I am also installing a cd changer in my 2000 vette but I can't find the wiring harness in the car that I need to plug into. Need help guys
    Greygoose. New member as of today

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12