$projecthp
  • Anybody Have Experience w/Continental ContiExtremeContact Tires?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    Currently Wanting on a C7 Coupe (MN6)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Anybody Have Experience w/Continental ContiExtremeContact Tires?

I am thinking of purchasing a used 2000 coupe that will need to have its OEM EMT tires replaced. I am looking for non-EMTs that are "all-season", as I would like to drive in the snow (6 inches or less).

For the stock wheel sizes, Continental makes the ContiExtremeContact tires. Has anyone purchased these? If so, what are your experiences with them?

Thanks in advance.

Corvette(s)
    Black 1996 LT4 Coupe/ 2004 Z06/Z16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Go to tire rack - online - lotta good info.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi, froggy47!

I have spent quite a bit of time looking at the reviews. Some of them are not too flattering regarding the tire, while others are. Some folks are reporting problems with them being in the round properly, as well as being more prone to flat spotting.

If anyone on this forum has tried them, I would be most interested to hear about their experience.

By the way, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires are my other choice.

Thanks!

Corvette(s)
    2000 Red Coupe & 2008 Crystal Red Metallic Convert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I added 17" rims to my '81 vette & just ordered Contiextreme Contact Tires yesterday ... My friend races his corvette also and has had the Contiextreme Contact Tires on his for over a year & he swears by them.. he says they ride well & grip like crazy - he's a road racer and likes the "W" speed rating (168 MPH) ...
    Don & Kelly Davis
    2000 Red Coupe & 2008 Crystal Red Metallic Tint Convertible
    Lone Star Corvette Club

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi Tony,

If you are easy on tires (means they are going to last you a while) I'd pay the extra for the Michelin's or look at the new High end Goodyears. If you autocross a lot or track the car or just love to do burnouts there are other choices (Kuhmo) that are very good tires & cost less (you're going to wear em out faster racing & you really don't want to race on a tire that's more than 1-2 years old).

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the info, froggy47. This car would be primarily street driven, with the occasional autocross thrown in once in a while. The main criteria is to have reasonable performance and winter drivability in less than 6" of snow accumulation. Fortunately, it does not snow too much here in Cincinnati.

Any special reason you like the Michelins over the Continentals?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just have had Michelins on 10 or 15 cars, all the way back to a 61 MGA thru SUV's & vans. I've actually never had em on a Vette as this is my first & it came with GY gsc's (2nd set).

But, nobody will tell you Michelin makes a bad tire, they just know what they're doing.

The Conti's could very well be fine, I've never had they on anything. I know they also have been around for a long time.

These days a lot of companies that used to have just "premium" level products have expanded to having a low price point model with the same name.

But tires have definate differences re: traction/mileage/rain etc. As I said b4, if they are going to last you a few years then do not factor price into it. If you burn em up fast, then price becomes a factor (for me anyway)

Corvette(s)
    2014 Z51 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Conti's feel weird on C5

I had them installed last summer, found the ride and noise to be OK, BUT, in a hard turn the car feels like it is lifting on the inside rear? Almost like understress of torque and turm the tire is swelling up and lifting the car. Never had the feeling before with the GY or FS EMTs.
    FWIW
    Next spring I want to look for Z06 rims and tires for the summer.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Alignment?

Corvette(s)
    2000 Triple Black Convertible 6speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Conty DWS with liner ?????

I bought my 2K vert with Foose wheels and Conty DWS on the rear. When I had it up in the air we noticed a second valve stem on the inner side just like NASCAR rims with an inner liner. What?????

But FALKENs are on the front with just one valve stem. (why would someone mix FALKENs and CONTYs?)

By The Way: The Contys have GREAT traction in the wet. Haven't been on snow yet.

Can't get out of the garage. Not sure if I want to.

- See more at: reasonably priced run flat?

Corvette(s)
    1999 Pewter coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Continentals

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Alonso View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing a used 2000 coupe that will need to have its OEM EMT tires replaced. I am looking for non-EMTs that are "all-season", as I would like to drive in the snow (6 inches or less).

For the stock wheel sizes, Continental makes the ContiExtremeContact tires. Has anyone purchased these? If so, what are your experiences with them?

Thanks in advance.
    Tony, I put a set of Continental DWS's (Dry,Wet,Snow) on my 99 Coupe with stock wheels. They are quiet and ride quite comfortably. I don't race around but still enjoy the way they handle in turns etc. I had a set of Michelins Sports, they were too noisy, especially the older they got. They just didn't wear out soon enough for me.