$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    1982 Silver Coupe (Sold!), New C5 in 3 weeks!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default C5 HP Upgrades...

Hi all,
    I'm considering buying a fifth gen Corvette to park alongside my third gen. Now, I want to modify the car ever so slightly to give it more power... but I don't want to do any crazy mods!!!

I'm trying to find out how much extra HP I can get out of a C5 just with minor mods, ie...

Borla Stinger Exhaust
    K&N (or similar) open air filter kit
    Larger CFM throttle body
    Larger CFM Air sensor

So, a regular C5 has about 345 to 350 BHP as standard (depending on year).

The big question...

How much extra power can I expect mid these minor mods?

...also, does anyone know of any other good minor mods?

Cheers
    Dazza

Corvette(s)
    1982 Silver Coupe (Sold!), New C5 in 3 weeks!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Christ!

44 People have viewed this thread!!!!

Doesn't anybody modify their C5's!!!???

Come on guys, some of you guys must have modified your C5's?

...or is it something to do with C5 owners???

people in the C3 section are very helpful!!!

Cheers
    Dazza

Surfer44

I have a B&B Exaust and a K&N filter on my 02 Vert 6Spd but I cant tell you how much HP I've gained except for the smile I get when I hear the exhaust rumble and pop. I hope to go the better air routine soon.
    I'm adding a Halltech Tric 1 and an GMS MAF and hopeto really see and feel the difference.

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Dazza,

Don't have a C5, but those look like pretty good mods there. You'll especially favor the exhaust rumble from the stock C5 kitty purr! LOL.

I do believe that the bigger throttle body is meant for more radical mods so I'm not positive if that will net you much in the HP.
    Edmond.

Contact me for the best prices on Amsoil.

Ericg320

15-20 rwhp and you'll feel the difference. SOTP!!!

Corvette(s)
    2019 ZR1 Blade Silver Metalic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Hi, on my Y2k C5 I have a Corsa Exhaust system and a Donaldson cold air induction system system called a Blackwing along with the hoodseal . I also drilled a series of holes in the front of the grille vents next to the fog lamps for added forced air.
    I also have the 175 degree thermostat, MSD Ignition Wires and use NGK TR55 non platinum spark plugs. All this should add a little more horsepower but what I really like is when I go wide open throttle the sound of the motor is music to my ears !!!! My next mods will be to add the mass air flow housing and to reprogram my shift points and raise my rev limiter with Hypertech's Power Programer .....

Corvette(s)
    2006 Black Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

What are you planning to do? I had a 99A4 coupe that was my everyday driver. I modded it with corsa indys (nice ferrari type sound out of the exhaust), bassani xpipe, vortex intake, and TTS Power Loader II. I took it to the strip before mods, and it turned 13.99@102. After mods, turned 13.00@109. Put it on a dyno and turned 329rwhp sae corrected (superflo dyno...was probably optimistic). And my wife loved to drive it...so I bought a Z06. She won't learn how to drive a stick!!

Corvette(s)
    '00 Triple Black Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Re: Christ!

Originally posted by Zektor
    44 People have viewed this thread!!!!

Doesn't anybody modify their C5's!!!???

Come on guys, some of you guys must have modified your C5's?

...or is it something to do with C5 owners???

people in the C3 section are very helpful!!!

Cheers
    Dazza
    Come on, do a basic search on this and other fora -- you'll find an incredible amount of information.

Then ask any questions that haven't been answered in all those threads.

Cheers!

MagRed2002

Here's some tangible info, although I wish I had done a stock baseline dyno for true experimental accuracy.

Anyway, here it goes:

I intstalled a Blackwing filter (in my opinion a great mod) as well as a Halltech Carbon Fiber Airbridge (By far the best astetically, but of very dubious HP advantage), pulled the MAF screen (another questionable move), and put out 319 on the Dynojet, the most conservative Dyno.

Followed that with the Corsa Indy (Pro TIps) expecting only appearance and sound upgrades and then dynoed at 329.

All of this during the first 5000 miles, so break in may have been a small factor.

Using the accepted drivetrain loss factor of 0.85 (15% loss), it would appear that I am about 387 flywheel HP.

Just my $0.02

Corvette(s)
    2000 Red Coupe & 2008 Crystal Red Metallic Convert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My stock vette dyno'd @ 280 RWHP divided by .80 (A4) = 350 hp @ the fly wheel.

after adding exhaust, Z06 intake manifold , cold air filter, then removed MAF air screen & it dyno'd @ 317 RWHP = 396 at fly wheel

Switching from the 315 rearend to the 342 rearend cost me some dyno hp , but increased my torque (according to my tuner, and others here on the CAC), I didn't dyno after just that change ... but this change caused a dramatic increase in pickup ...

after adding the Belenger Long Tube Headers it dyno'd @ 335 RWHP = 419 at fly wheel - so I got 20 RWHP from the Belengers, but it was probably more like 30 to 35 RWHP if I hadn't swapped to the 342 rearend (but boy am I glad I did.. it runs like a scalded dog)

Hope this helps ...
    Don & Kelly Davis
    2000 Red Coupe & 2008 Crystal Red Metallic Tint Convertible
    Lone Star Corvette Club

Doneboy

With these mods my A4 ran 13.06 @108.53 without holding the brake and raising the RPM's. Flooring it just before the last light,starting in first gear and shifting @5800. Not very professional. I just wanted to see what it would do. I do not drag very often.
    1st. MODS:
    Vararam Ram Air
    172 T-Stat
    Fuel Line Recurve Kit
    SLP MAF
    Borla Stingers
    Throttlebody Bypass

2nd. Mods:
    LS-6 Intake
    GM Performance Wires
    Corsa "X" Pipe
    Hypertech III

Now I have to wait for fair weather to see just how much fun I have purchased.

Surfer44

I just installed the Halltech Tric1 and the GMS MAF. WOW!!! I can't believe the difference in power. I don't race it or have it dynoed, but I can definetly feel the difference.

Total mods are:
    CAGS eliminator
    B&B exhausr
    Halltech Tric1
    GMS MAF

Redshift-PFYC

For bolt-ons, your best bang for the buck is air intake, long tube headers, high flow cats, and any high flow exhaust. With just these four pieces, all bolt-ons if you get the right header/cat combination, you are looking at anywhere from 30-50HP gain.

We currently have a sale on the Blackwing going for only $199, and we are soon going to install, dyno test, and track test a set of bolt-on TPIS long tube headers and Random Tech high flow cats and X-pipe. Along with our Borla Stinger exhaust and Blackwing we already have on the '03 Z06, we are hoping for near 400 RWHP with no other powertrain changes.

Let us know if we can help you increase your horsepower without spending too much.

We have not seen any lasting gains from MAF/coolant bypass/etc mods as of yet

Corvette(s)
    2014 Z51 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Add-on parts that work

My 98 stick has:
    Donaldson BlackWing
    Z06 Screens
    TPIS MAF
    TPIS T-Body
    TPIS 178 Degree T-Stat
    Nology Plug wires
    Beru PLugs
    TPIS Long Tube Headers
    McLeod Clutch, Alum Flywheel
    B&M Shifter w/MoMo knob
    Mallets 3.73 Gears
    Corsa Indy Mufflers
    stock wheels Painted white

The parts that made the biggest improvement
    Donaldson
    T-Stat 178
    Alum Flywheel
    Headers
    3.73 Gears

Above all get a real tune to your PCM. I just finshed mine and it woke everything up and really allows the motor to pull hard from idle to red line. See attached article on recent tune.

Corvette(s)
    2014 Z51 White Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default PCM Tune

Here's the PCM Tuning article has to convert it to .txt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast