Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    Torch Red 2000 fixed roof coupe.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Courtesy light failure.

I have a 2000 hard top. I found an unused, small two-wire female electrical connector in the trunk behind the carpet on the passenger side quarter panel. It has small orange and black wires leading into it. I wanted to install some LED lights back there and thought that this connector might be a good source of power for that. I wanted to see if it was hot so I got my mutimeter out and while attempting to put the probes into the connector momentarily crossed them. Unfortunately, I found that it was hot by seeing a small spark. I thought that I might have blown a fuse so I went to the inside electrical center. When I opened the door I noticed that the courtesy lights now did not work. I checked every fuse in both electrical centers with a multimeter but they all showed continuity. The diagram on the cover shows micro relay 42 marked ad "CTSY LP" which I assume means courtesy lamp. I pulled that relay and tested it. It functioned normally and I found continuity through it. What else could be the problem?

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
    I have a 2000 hard top. I found an unused, small two-wire female electrical connector in the trunk behind the carpet on the passenger side quarter panel. It has small orange and black wires leading into it. I wanted to install some LED lights back there and thought that this connector might be a good source of power for that. I wanted to see if it was hot so I got my mutimeter out and while attempting to put the probes into the connector momentarily crossed them. Unfortunately, I found that it was hot by seeing a small spark. I thought that I might have blown a fuse so I went to the inside electrical center. When I opened the door I noticed that the courtesy lights now did not work. I checked every fuse in both electrical centers with a multimeter but they all showed continuity. The diagram on the cover shows micro relay 42 marked ad "CTSY LP" which I assume means courtesy lamp. I pulled that relay and tested it. It functioned normally and I found continuity through it. What else could be the problem?

You checked all the fuses (with the ignition on, engine off) under the hood and under the passenger side interior firewall with a test light and all the fuses had power on both side of the fuse pins?
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech