• Parking brake handle went limp- cable disconnected?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Navy targa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Parking brake handle went limp- cable disconnected?

Hi Supertechs,

My C5 coupe is now at 122,000 miles, and has been running well for many years. I did a beer run this afternoon and while at the retailer, I set the parking brake as per usual, and it worked fine. When I got home a few minutes and 4 miles later, I pulled on the emergency brake, and it had no resistance, i.e., went all the way up, and I knew I had nothing. To make sure I pulled out on my driveway, which is about 150 ft. long and slightly pitched. I took it to the top of the hill and coasted and tried to stop the car with the handbrake, also to adjust, as I was coasting in reverse. Nothing. It's like the cable just let go, as if the plug at the end of the cable slid off.

The service brake is fine so I brought it back to the garage and parked it in first.

What is the first thing to check, second, etc. The service manual is a bit intimidating as far as the possibilities... The good news is that I'm retired and have a lot of time to attack it, the bad is that it's freaking cold in January in the Boston area!

Thanks for any advice!

Best always,

Bluemill

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Bluemill View Post
    Hi Supertechs,

My C5 coupe is now at 122,000 miles, and has been running well for many years. I did a beer run this afternoon and while at the retailer, I set the parking brake as per usual, and it worked fine. When I got home a few minutes and 4 miles later, I pulled on the emergency brake, and it had no resistance, i.e., went all the way up, and I knew I had nothing. To make sure I pulled out on my driveway, which is about 150 ft. long and slightly pitched. I took it to the top of the hill and coasted and tried to stop the car with the handbrake, also to adjust, as I was coasting in reverse. Nothing. It's like the cable just let go, as if the plug at the end of the cable slid off.

The service brake is fine so I brought it back to the garage and parked it in first.

What is the first thing to check, second, etc. The service manual is a bit intimidating as far as the possibilities... The good news is that I'm retired and have a lot of time to attack it, the bad is that it's freaking cold in January in the Boston area!

Thanks for any advice!

Best always,

Bluemill

I would start by pulling the back rotors and checking the parking brake shoes on both sides, you can also check cable movement at the shoes.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    2000 Navy targa
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks LL. You are always there for me. It's 15 degrees F in the garage right now so I doubt I'll be chasing this repair today. I hope I don't need new cables, especially the upper one, as they do look buried under a lot of work!
    Still got my Ridgeline, and did the timing belt at 107,000 miles.