$projecthp
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: MGW Shift Kit

DrNavyRet

Default MGW Shift Kit

I know that everyone has an opinion, but I am going to ask for yours. For those who have recently purchased the MGW kit with the alignment tool, what is your opinion of the kit? Is it worth the effort over the stock shifter? I am about to pull the trigger and get one 'cause the "old man" likes mini-projects, but before I do, I'd like to know what my expectations should be. Thanks for your input.

Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Coupe Z16 Blade Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I have heard that the MGW's are excellent. I went with a Core/Hurst set up on my C6 because I wanted the old school Hurst shifter and knob. I did put it in myself without much hassle other than getting some of the plugs unhooked.....should not be different on the C5 but better wait until some C5 MGW guys chip in.......

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...tall-nice.html

Here is my Core/Hurst set up........I like...... any of them will be way better than the stock shifters.....

Last edited by Huskerman; 09-11-14 at 04:04 PM.

DrNavyRet

I am from the old school as well and have good memories of the Hurst 4 speed. The remnant of that era will be placed on the MGW setup - the white cue ball but with the 6 speed engraving. Couldn't wait any longer for more recent info - put my order in this evening (BTW MGW gives a 5% discount to military).

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerman View Post
    I have heard that the MGW's are excellent. I went with a Core/Hurst set up on my C6 because I wanted the old school Hurst shifter and knob. I did put it in myself without much hassle other than getting some of the plugs unhooked.....should not be different on the C5 but better wait until some C5 MGW guys chip in.......

New MGW shifter install - Nice! - Corvette Forum

Here is my Core/Hurst set up........I like...... any of them will be way better than the stock shifters.....

I have that set up on my C5. I painted the Hurst lettering red and it really looks good, black would look good also. Just paint all over the chrome area, let the paint dry, and you can remove all the excess on the chrome handle with a rag and paint thinner leaving the Hurst logo still colored. Simple and easy, and if you don't like it you can remove the paint in the lettering later.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Coupe Z16 Blade Silver
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

That's a great idea on the paint. What type of paint did you use? I am using some red highlights in the cabin to liven things up.......thanks again.....I would also like to find a white or black knob with the red lettering and numbers.....

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerman View Post
    That's a great idea on the paint. What type of paint did you use? I am using some red highlights in the cabin to liven things up.......thanks again.....I would also like to find a white or black knob with the red lettering and numbers.....

I actually used testors model paint for that job (the brightest red that they had so it could be seen, and it is very close to troch red), and I went to a hobby shop and bought a fine brush to apply red to the 6 spd numbers on my shift ball. The paint overage will also come off the shift ball if you don't like it or make a mistake. Good luck with it.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've been using Hurst units since I did some pretty serious drag racing waaaaaaaaay back in the day, and never saw a reason to even try another brand. That said, the last one I put in was in my 2007 Z06. Maybe things have changed since then.
    There are times for thinking, and times for acting, but the art is in the balance

CruiseFest 2005
    CruiseFest 2006
    CruiseFest 2007
    CruiseFestivus 2009
    CruiseFest 2010
    CruiseFest 2011

CruiseFest 2012

DrNavyRet

I've been forgetful; purchased the MGW kit and installed it. Works as advertised and the buzzing that was coming from the stock shifter is gone. No, it wasnt the bushings as they were in perfect shape. It was the "ball" that goes into the shifter rod. It was loose and wobbly so when you pushed the throttle, it would buzz or rattle against the shift rod. Also, if you are about to do the job, disconnect the battery. I forgot and when I reinstalled the fuel door button, it blew the fuse. additionally have a can of rust breaker to remove the torx bolts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Mgw

Did you go with the flat sided shifter or the round one. What did you pay for it. Thinking of making the change my self.

DrNavyRet

Quote Originally Posted by Gellisvette View Post
    Did you go with the flat sided shifter or the round one. What did you pay for it. Thinking of making the change my self.
    I went with the round shifter. I wanted to reuse my white cue ball that's engraved with the six speed and the flat side needed a new ball with a 3/8" threaded ball for 35 bucks more and I did not want to get an adapter. The cost was the new lower price on the Internet less the military discount (if you are retired or AD).. Good luck. PS The flat side was more money.
    Thanks Gellisvette thanked for this post

Corvette(s)
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

After driving Huskerman's GS I bought the Core as well, but I got the version that uses the stock shift knob, because I wanted to keep the stock appearance. I'd post a picture, but it wouldn't look any different than the stock unit, but it works better.
    2007 Atomic Orange Coupe Cashmere/black interior

2005 CruiseFest Attendee (Bowling Green, KY) 2007 CruiseFest Attendee (Colorado Springs, CO)
    2008 CruiseFest Attendee (Cleveland, OH)
    2010 Cruisefest Attendee(Effingham, IL)
    2011 CruiseFest Attendee(Effingham
    , IL)

Formerly owned Corvettes: 1964 coupe, 1994 coupe, 2001 coupe