• Code P1431, Gas Gauge going to Empty, Low Fuel Light coming On, after 70 miles after Fill Up
  • Code P1431, Gas Gauge going to Empty, Low Fuel Light coming On, after 70 miles after Fill Up

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Red Tint Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I've had the erratic gas gauge issue for years. Tried techron and other products when the tank was at 1/4 full or so and would still get the Empty tank on my gauge/Check Fuel level messages. Yesterday the DTC 1431 appeared. I filled the tank at the nearest gas station and the gauge read full again, and the Check Engine disappeared. When I got home I used my scan tool and cleared the DTC. Drove about 60 miles and all is working for now.

Anyhow, have you had any fuel gauge issues since installing the new right rear sending unit? You also mentioned, and I saw your photos above, that you might have gotten away with cleaning the contacts on the old sending unit instead of replacing it with a new unit. However, I'd hate to spend the time pulling the sending unit, cleaning the contacts, and reusing it only to have the same problem reoccur again. What would you advise?

Any other tips or tricks I should be aware of when attempting this project?
    Thank you!!!

Corvette(s)
    2001 Yellow Corvette Coupe 6 spd
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by vette00 View Post
    I've had the erratic gas gauge issue for years. Tried techron and other products when the tank was at 1/4 full or so and would still get the Empty tank on my gauge/Check Fuel level messages. Yesterday the DTC 1431 appeared. I filled the tank at the nearest gas station and the gauge read full again, and the Check Engine disappeared. When I got home I used my scan tool and cleared the DTC. Drove about 60 miles and all is working for now.

Anyhow, have you had any fuel gauge issues since installing the new right rear sending unit? You also mentioned, and I saw your photos above, that you might have gotten away with cleaning the contacts on the old sending unit instead of replacing it with a new unit. However, I'd hate to spend the time pulling the sending unit, cleaning the contacts, and reusing it only to have the same problem reoccur again. What would you advise?

Any other tips or tricks I should be aware of when attempting this project?
    Thank you!!!
    Glad you got it figured out. After about 6 months, the gas gauge reads full at 7/8's of a tank, and sometimes the code started popping up from time to time.

The Techron only works when bathed on the right side sending unit, which is empty if there is less than half of a tank. The tank needs to be at least full to just above half tank for the stuff to work on the right side, since it feeds off the right side first, then the left side for the bottom half of a tank.
    Thanks vette00 thanked for this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12