Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 23
  1. #1
    c5vettegrl
    Guest

    Default Where do you get parts?

    My passenger side door control module is bad. It is a very bad module! Won't unlock, won't roll down window, it's just a bad bad module! Bad Module!

    I know how to replace it. But. . . (why is there always a but?) I don't know where to get the part!

    GM Dealer in town's price: $472

    Eckerts: $350

    GmDirectParts: $240

    Where should I buy the part? Who can I trust!

    I'm so confused!

    I can do the repair, I'm just agonizing where to get the part! Help a girl out!

    Please?

  2. #2
    Gone but not forgotten XLR8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Posts
    6,664
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Hmmm. Sorry I can't answer with any certainty. But I know my mechanic usually buys parts for my '98 from the local Chevy dealership. I think the dealership is the probably the quickest source and he may get a discount since he buys a lot of parts from them.

    If I were doing the repairs myself, I'd consider the time element first. If I was willing to wait a few days for the part to arrive, then I'd consider price, reputation for customer service, warranty... and of course, whether or not they're a supporting vendor or advertiser here.

    Although this doesn't answer your question directly, hopefully it will give you some ideas to mull over untill you get more feedback from more members.

    Good luck.
    Jane Ann

    For every person with a spark of genius, there are a hundred with ignition trouble.





  3. #3
    c5vettegrl
    Guest

    Default

    My chevy dealer is a snake! He told me I had to replace both door control modules. Because, are you ready for this? "They talk to each other with radio waves." WTF? No. I may be a girl, but I do have a brain!

    I'm doing the work myself. Waiting isn't a bother. Paying too much or getting a bad part is. I don't have a full day off for a week and half.

    I love that you have a good source for parts! Wish I did!

  4. #4
    Member gmjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Old Fort NC/Vero Beach FL
    Posts
    4,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c5vettegrl View Post
    My chevy dealer is a snake! He told me I had to replace both door control modules. Because, are you ready for this? "They talk to each other with radio waves." WTF? No. I may be a girl, but I do have a brain!

    I'm doing the work myself. Waiting isn't a bother. Paying too much or getting a bad part is. I don't have a full day off for a week and half.

    I love that you have a good source for parts! Wish I did!

    Ok,Lets see if I can help,Even though I'm a guy and my wife says I do no think'n with the head on my shoulders!!!


    Actually,the Lt and Rt door modules do communicate with each other and other components of the vehicle!!And I suppose it is possible that the modules must be replace in pairs!!I've never had to replace one,I've always found another problem and corrected it!!

    1st,How do you know that the module is a Bad,Bad Module and needs to be Spanked??
    What are All the symptoms,Have you retrieved the codes from the DIC??

    If so,I need them!! If Not,you need to do so!!



    PS.I get 95% of my parts at a local Chevrolet dealer,I buy $1000 to sometimes $5000 a month so he cut's me a Excellent deal,Besides he's close and I can snatch'em across the counter and Slap'em around a bit if I need too!!!!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous


  5. #5
    Member Fullback32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    Actually,the Lt and Rt door modules do communicate with each other and other components of the vehicle!!
    Really? I can see why they would need to communicate with other parts such as security sensors, but why would they need to communicate with each other I wonder?

    c5vettegrl, I usually get my parts from our local 'vette guy as he can get them cheaper from the suppliers than I can going direct to them....volume I suppose. I think he buys a lot of the parts from Corvette America. At least that seemed to be the case when I had my C4. Haven't needed any work on my C5, so I don'l know what he does for later models.

    Corvette America - Corvette Parts and Accessories

  6. #6
    Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    CenCoast CA
    Posts
    11,688
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    I get most of my GM Parts from Tom Henry Racing which is the Internet/aftermarket sales arm of Tom Henry Chevrolet in PA.

    In many cases his prices are competitive with GM Parts direct and the shipping is often as reasonable as or less than GM Parts Direct.

    You can either go to www.tomhenryracing for more information or just call them at 877.842.4389 and ask for parts.

  7. #7
    Where do you get parts? ScottNoxid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c5vettegrl View Post
    My passenger side door control module is bad. It is a very bad module! Won't unlock, won't roll down window, it's just a bad bad module! Bad Module!

    I know how to replace it. But. . . (why is there always a but?) I don't know where to get the part!

    GM Dealer in town's price: $472

    Eckerts: $350

    GmDirectParts: $240

    Where should I buy the part? Who can I trust!



    I'm so confused!

    I can do the repair, I'm just agonizing where to get the part! Help a girl out!

    Please?
    C5Vettegirl, try this website and see if it works for your problem SCTT

    Regulator USA


  8. #8
    Member jrose7004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    8,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

  9. #9
    Where do you get parts? ScottNoxid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Posts
    297
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrose7004 View Post
    Did you see her original post of the prices she got from GM. Sure is a long way from $150.

  10. #10
    Member jrose7004's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    8,496
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottNoxid View Post
    Did you see her original post of the prices she got from GM. Sure is a long way from $150.
    Gene is generally below the other parts retailers. He's a bunch cheaper than GM Parts Direct.

  11. #11
    Member hotshotzny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    ulster county ny
    Posts
    627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    al i will say is dont buy anything from napa!!

    i have found recently anything i have gotten from them has been pure junk!

    i only used them out of convienience but i wont be doing so any more

    cheaply made chinese crap!

  12. #12
    c5vettegrl
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post

    Ok,Lets see if I can help,Even though I'm a guy and my wife says I do no think'n with the head on my shoulders!!!


    Actually,the Lt and Rt door modules do communicate with each other and other components of the vehicle!!And I suppose it is possible that the modules must be replace in pairs!!I've never had to replace one,I've always found another problem and corrected it!!

    1st,How do you know that the module is a Bad,Bad Module and needs to be Spanked??
    What are All the symptoms,Have you retrieved the codes from the DIC??

    If so,I need them!! If Not,you need to do so!!



    PS.I get 95% of my parts at a local Chevrolet dealer,I buy $1000 to sometimes $5000 a month so he cut's me a Excellent deal,Besides he's close and I can snatch'em across the counter and Slap'em around a bit if I need too!!!!
    It's bad, and yes for the codes. Nothing works. NOTHING. Not unlock. Not window. NOTHING. Not even from the switches on door. Very annoying. I don't look as cool w/top off and windows UP!

    I've had a switch go bad in another vehicle and everything worked from drivers seat, not passengers. Now window is up for good. Door stays locked unless I flick it open.

    I think the Official Repair Manual said keyfob wirelessly talks to car computer. Car computer talks to doors. Doors communicate via electrical wires. But, I'm a shade tree mechanic and some of the electrical bits are over my head. Not replacing, just understanding.

    I live in an itty bitty Texas town and the closest dealership is known (even before downturn) for being a rip off artist. Next closest dealership is a smidge better. After that I'm going into Houston. I don't go to Houston if I don't have to. Trust me. No one should go to Houston if they don't HAVE to.

    Thanks for your help and advice! I really appreciate it! I'm scared to DEATH I'm gonna hurt her somehow. Other cars I've wrenched on I just wanted to get running again. Dings and scratches were acceptable. NO longer!

  13. #13
    Member zagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Did you call Corvettes of Huston, I bought stuff from them before and they were reasonable.
    Before going on a shopping spree I would recommend you fallow GMJunky's advice and at least check the codes on the DIC. Seams like he is thinking with the right head this time, you might have a different problem than you think. If you have any codes post them.

  14. #14
    Member Roc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c5vettegrl View Post
    My chevy dealer is a snake! He told me I had to replace both door control modules. Because, are you ready for this? "They talk to each other with radio waves." WTF? No. I may be a girl, but I do have a brain!

    I'm doing the work myself. Waiting isn't a bother. Paying too much or getting a bad part is. I don't have a full day off for a week and half.

    I love that you have a good source for parts! Wish I did!
    I had a recurring problem with the right door control module. had it replaced 5 times before they discovered that the real problem was one of the very fine wires that passes through the cable portal into the door. The wire looked ok from examination but actually had a break. At first every time they replaced the module, the wire would be put back and function but eventually from opening and closing the door, it would bend enough for the bad connection. Eventually it wouldn't connect anymore and that was found when they changed the module and it still didn't work. You might want to do a continuity check on those very fine wires. For mine it was a tan colored wire.

    If you want further info feel free to email me, roc@corvettemuseum.org

  15. #15
    Member Fullback32's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Posts
    247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by c5vettegrl View Post
    I don't go to Houston if I don't have to. Trust me. No one should go to Houston if they don't HAVE to.

    Hehe...I hear ya on that. I'm originally from Dallas and even we didn't like going to Houston if it wasn't absolutely necessary. And at that, it was a quick as possible pass through Houston to get to Galveston.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Center console repair?????????
    By kingman in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-21-14, 05:46 AM
  2. parts, parts, parts
    By moxy in forum C3 Parts For Sale / Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-31-05, 08:25 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-13-05, 10:08 PM
  4. ? About Selling Parts and Potential Parts List
    By Mad-Mic in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-01-05, 12:04 PM
  5. Refinish of Interior Plastic Parts
    By 1994Roadster in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-03, 04:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •