• 125k miles. What should I look out for?
  • 125k miles. What should I look out for?
  • 125k miles. What should I look out for?
  • 125k miles. What should I look out for?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, Fl.
    Posts
    10
    Corvette(s)
    98-C5 Coupe Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default 125k miles. What should I look out for?

    I just bought a 98 automatic with 125,000 miles. It has an intake and a custom exhaust. The car seems SUPER clean and "apparently" well taken car of. The engine bay looks like the car only has 500 miles. I'll probably SeaFoam the car tomorrow as the idle is a little bit rough. It runs fine, except that at WOT it won't shift to 3rd gear. Still don't know what it could be :/
    With that many miles, should I look for anything in particular that tends to break/wear at this mileage? Except the transmission I already see that

  2. #2
    Member kingman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,533
    Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Hi

    First of all good luck with your new ride.

    The problems not only have to do with mileage but with age. The transmission could be anything so have it checked out with a trusted mechanic before you do anything else.

    The most important thing is to have it gone over to make sure there are not any surprise's. Of course you have to check out the brakes and then the tie rods and anything that has to do with the front end. Also check all of the obvious things like belts, plugs and hoses. Being that you live in Fla. l would take care of all of the weather stripping with a sauve designed to protect and soften. This is a pricey thing to replace.

    Also run a Vin# report to see what the vehicle's history is so you can see what was done. Keep in mind that if he did all of the work himself or at an independent shop it would not appear on the Vin report but it will show what was done while it was under warranty.

    Did the seller give you any records?

    Alan

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, Fl.
    Posts
    10
    Corvette(s)
    98-C5 Coupe Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    There are no records for any installations or service on the car. I do have a carfax report and the only "shady" thing there is an inconsistent odometer reading. On 3/20/02 it had 33k miles. Then on 6/12/03 it had 64k miles. And 7/18/03 it says 40k miles. 11/02/05 60k miles. So it seems like a clerical error on 6/12/03.

    The only "service " on the carfax says "Body electrical system checked" back in 2002

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    20
    Corvette(s)
    2006 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    If the car has the 2.73 (?) rear axle ratio that was standard, I was once told that it achieves top speed in 3rd gear and won't shift into 4th under full throttle. The 3.15 (?) performance axle shifted to 4th around 135 mph under full throttle on my 2001.
    Either way, Enjoy!

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, Fl.
    Posts
    10
    Corvette(s)
    98-C5 Coupe Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
    If the car has the 2.73 (?) rear axle ratio that was standard, I was once told that it achieves top speed in 3rd gear and won't shift into 4th under full throttle. The 3.15 (?) performance axle shifted to 4th around 135 mph under full throttle on my 2001.
    Either way, Enjoy!

    Well doing the 75mph test in 3rd it seems like I have the 3.15 axle. Even if it were the 2.73 my car tops out at 90mph then hits the rev limiter. Still not sure what to do or where to look..might have to dish out 100 bux to get it diagnosed, but I really hate transmission shops, or any type of repair shop. Or I might use that 100 and buy a rebuilt valve body, put it in and see what happens.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    339
    Corvette(s)
    2000 coupe, black on black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Ain't it a shame that they don't give out those .... 100,000, 200,000 mile club badges ... like they did with Mercedes and Volvo and stuff?

    They would look soooooooo cool over the flags and ....

    I'll behave now! I think.

  7. #7
    Member njlouc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    401
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Look in your glovebox and you will find the build codes.
    GU2 = 2.73 standard
    G92 = 3.15 optional HP
    I took a digital picture of the entire sheet and later printed it so I didnt have to write it all out. Dont forget the macro setting.

  8. #8
    Member fixvet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Clever, MO
    Posts
    139
    Corvette(s)
    1998 Two Tone Torch Red& Black Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 65-to-00 View Post
    Ain't it a shame that they don't give out those .... 100,000, 200,000 mile club badges ... like they did with Mercedes and Volvo and stuff?

    They would look soooooooo cool over the flags and ....

    I'll behave now! I think.
    FYI.....MidAmerica Motorworks has a High Mileage Club. I was a member when I had my 175,000 mile '88 C4. They sent me a cool pin and a letter.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    sunshine state
    Posts
    45
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Arctic White Vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Welcome

    Quote Originally Posted by JRS_C5 View Post
    I just bought a 98 automatic with 125,000 miles. It has an intake and a custom exhaust. The car seems SUPER clean and "apparently" well taken car of. The engine bay looks like the car only has 500 miles. I'll probably SeaFoam the car tomorrow as the idle is a little bit rough. It runs fine, except that at WOT it won't shift to 4th gear. Still don't know what it could be :/
    With that many miles, should I look for anything in particular that tends to break/wear at this mileage? Except the transmission I already see that
    Welcome to the site and welcome to the neighborhood, I am east of I-75 off SR70. I own a 2000 A4, 2:73 gear, with 153,000+.

    Cold Air Intake, B&B Bullits, mod MAF, smoothie coupler, MSD plugwires, 170tstat, C6-Z06 Shocks, C6-Z06 sway bars, C5-Z06 Calipers, GMPP D/S Rotors, Ceramic Pads,... and other stuff.

    Looks and drives like a Garage Queen, but this is a Road Warrior. Sounds like you may have one too.

    Your Auto will not shift into 4th at WOT, you have to let off the gas a bit.

    Since you don't have any service history with your car, I would change all the primary fluids, oil-tranny-diff-brake-coolant-p/s. This way you know they are fresh.

    We will be at the Corvettes on the Circle Show on May 2nd at St.Armands Circle. Look us up. An Arctic White vert with Red interior and a Millineum Yellow vert with Black interior.

    Congrats and Good Luck with your new Vette.

    Bug

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    sunshine state
    Posts
    45
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Arctic White Vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fixvet View Post
    FYI.....MidAmerica Motorworks has a High Mileage Club. I was a member when I had my 175,000 mile '88 C4. They sent me a cool pin and a letter.
    I will check int that...Thanks.

    Bug

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    sunshine state
    Posts
    45
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Arctic White Vert
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default 90???

    Quote Originally Posted by JRS_C5 View Post
    Well doing the 75mph test in 3rd it seems like I have the 3.15 axle. Even if it were the 2.73 my car tops out at 90mph then hits the rev limiter. Still not sure what to do or where to look..might have to dish out 100 bux to get it diagnosed, but I really hate transmission shops, or any type of repair shop. Or I might use that 100 and buy a rebuilt valve body, put it in and see what happens.
    Are you saying your car will not go any faster than 90mph and then the rev limiter kicks in? If that is the case then you have a serious problem with your drive line.

    Bug.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    20
    Corvette(s)
    2006 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bugman34202 View Post
    ...
    Your Auto will not shift into 4th at WOT, you have to let off the gas a bit.
    ...
    Bug
    Our totally stock 2001 w/ 3.15 would shift into 4th at WOT, but the shift seemed to take several seconds. I explained it by saying that the shift started at 135 mph and finished at 139 mph. The big rpm drop after the shift was completed, left no doubt that it was in 4th ! Not sure if that's typical of other cars or other years.

  13. #13
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bradenton, Fl.
    Posts
    10
    Corvette(s)
    98-C5 Coupe Red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bugman34202 View Post
    Are you saying your car will not go any faster than 90mph and then the rev limiter kicks in? If that is the case then you have a serious problem with your drive line.

    Bug.

    Hey Bug, I live right off SR70 also, but just west of 301. i missed the show on saturday, I spent all day switching out the valve body in the transmission, but that did not solve the problem and now the 1-2 shift is pretty harsh.
    At full throttle I cannot get above 90 it hits the limiter. Unless i back off the gas then try again. Thinking about it...I think i meant I have no 2-3 shift at WOT, which happens at about 90mph.

Similar Threads

  1. FS: '92 420 HP 6 spd coupe, 28K miles
    By Digital Disaster in forum C4 Corvettes For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-06, 04:12 PM
  2. How many miles do you put on per year?
    By warren s in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 11-07-05, 12:53 PM
  3. FS: 95 Coupe/auto White/Gray under 28k miles, Nor. Calif.
    By StArrow68 in forum C4 Corvettes For Sale
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-04, 01:05 PM
  4. 1986 Red Coupe 4+3 31K Miles
    By scotstern@aol.com in forum C4 Corvettes For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-04, 12:12 AM
  5. 60,000 Miles and counting
    By twiget in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-05-01, 01:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •