• Battery Replacement Procedure
  • Battery Replacement Procedure
  • Battery Replacement Procedure
  • Battery Replacement Procedure

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member njlouc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Battery Replacement Procedure

    Thanks for all your info. I really enjoy these forums.

    From all I have read the battery condition and voltage is very critical to all the computers doing their thing. My battery is about 3years old and seems ok however at some point it will need replacement.
    I have a basic question: What is the proper way to replace the battery?

    certainly I have replaced batteries in the past but the Vette seems like a new game. If I just disconnect it, I think I may be looking at wheel sensor,fob,radio,and other computer recalibration or some possible damage. Should I use a 9v to keep the circuits alive?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    339
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    I was wondering the same thing and was thinking of attaching one of those portable 12v "jumper/emergency" deals when changing it out.

  3. #3
    Member o2bnkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Carson City, Nv.
    Posts
    449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    There's all sorts of gadgets that you can buy to prevent stuff like that happening. I don't know if you really need them. I've changed two batteries on two different c5's and never had a problem, and I didn't do anything special. Just pulled the old ones out, and put the new ones in.
    A Proud U.S. Navy Veteran

  4. #4
    Member zagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    If you have your radio programed with a theft code make sure you write it down, you will have to unlock it. Your fobs will have to be relearned (press lock/unlock at same time till it beeps) and that is all. If the theft security light does not blink on the radio when turned of the code was not enabled and you don't have to do anything to unlock it after battery swap.

  5. #5
    Member gmjunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Old Fort NC/Vero Beach FL
    Posts
    4,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagger View Post
    If you have your radio programed with a theft code make sure you write it down, you will have to unlock it. Your fobs will have to be relearned (press lock/unlock at same time till it beeps) and that is all. If the theft security light does not blink on the radio when turned of the code was not enabled and you don't have to do anything to unlock it after battery swap.
    Hmm,Thats weird!!I've never had to reprogram the key fobs after changing out a battery on a C5!!Vett Boys 03 vert had a battery cut off switch for winter storage,and My Z06 set here with out a battery even in it for 8 months and I didn't have to reprogram anything except the radio!
    It's got so it seems to me that the Internet has created a lot more Horses A$$'s than we have Horses!
    junk!~!!
    Founding Member: 10 Corvettes Anonymous


  6. #6
    Member LLC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Wa.
    Posts
    1,909
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gmjunkie View Post
    Hmm,Thats weird!!I've never had to reprogram the key fobs after changing out a battery on a C5!!Vett Boys 03 vert had a battery cut off switch for winter storage,and My Z06 set here with out a battery even in it for 8 months and I didn't have to reprogram anything except the radio!

    Same here, except even my radio presets were saved.
    Master Technician

    25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

    22+ year Honda Master Tech

  7. #7
    Member njlouc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    401
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Thanks for the info. It seems that battery changeout will be normal.

  8. #8
    Member zagger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    468
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Hmm,Thats weird!!I've never had to reprogram the key fobs after changing out a battery on a C5!!Vett Boys 03 vert had a battery cut off switch for winter storage,and My Z06 set here with out a battery even in it for 8 months and I didn't have to reprogram anything except the radio!
    That is weird because every time I even disconnected the battery the key fob had to be re learned. Maybe re program is a bad language as appose to re learn as there really is a different re program procedure.

  9. #9
    Member silver98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    southeast PA
    Posts
    202
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagger View Post
    That is weird because every time I even disconnected the battery the key fob had to be re learned. Maybe re program is a bad language as appose to re learn as there really is a different re program procedure.
    I just replaced the OEM battery and need to re-learn the FOB

Similar Threads

  1. Replacement battery for key fob - 1996
    By macvette in forum C4 General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-03-11, 10:25 AM
  2. Winter Project....tending to your battery
    By C3RVETTE in forum General Automotive Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-13-04, 06:16 PM
  3. Best replacement battery
    By PeterG in forum C5 General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-04, 12:10 AM
  4. Replacement battery for 1996 PKE Key Fob?
    By macvette in forum C4 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-30-03, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •