$projecthp

Thread: Removable top

Corvette(s)
    2000 Base coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Removable top

After having a convertible with a power top for 10 years, I find the removal process of the removable top not worth the effort. If I am out and an unexpected rain stoirm pops up, before i can get the top on, the interior is soaked. My convertible would have the top up in about 13 seconds . I was able to lower or raise the top while stopped for a traffic light. Has anyone else felt as I do, or am I just old and lazy.

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Raycuda View Post
    After having a convertible with a power top for 10 years, I find the removal process of the removable top not worth the effort. If I am out and an unexpected rain stoirm pops up, before i can get the top on, the interior is soaked. My convertible would have the top up in about 13 seconds . I was able to lower or raise the top while stopped for a traffic light. Has anyone else felt as I do, or am I just old and lazy.

You are probably old and lazier, just like me. But your not wrong.

Targa tops can be a pain in a panic situation. C5 verts are manual and easy and quick to lower and raise. C6 are power but you need to be stopped to operate them. C7 I believe is the first generation that allowed vehicle movement up to 30 mph when operating the top. Someone correct me if I’m wrong.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    2001 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Raycuda View Post
    Had a C4 with a targa, had no issues getting it back on and buttoned up quickly, but the 99 C5 I had was a pain to get it aligned and back on quickly..Not sure why, but I am old and lazy and just quit taking it off after a year or so of ownership.
    Likes Raycuda liked this post

Corvette(s)
    2000 Base coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Otter View Post
    Had a C4 with a targa, had no issues getting it back on and buttoned up quickly, but the 99 C5 I had was a pain to get it aligned and back on quickly..Not sure why, but I am old and lazy and just quit taking it off after a year or so of ownership.
    Same here, I have had this C5 for a little over a year, and it's just not worth the effort. If I ever replace this car, maybe I will consider a true convertible, even though I think the coupe is a better looking car.

Corvette(s)
    2004 Torch Red Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

MY first C5 was a coupe with the two top option. I agree that removing the top or replacing it in a hurry could be troublesome. my current C5 is a convertible and while it is not a power top (2004) it is so much easier to lower and raise.
    Likes Raycuda liked this post