• Top-Mount Battery Terminals for 2004 Model Year

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Top-Mount Battery Terminals for 2004 Model Year

Anybody know where I can source a replacement along with the tightening nut? These are the funky top-mount terminals that have a special nut with a conical bottom that tightens a clamping bar. The negative terminal on my '04 convertible decided to unceremoniously corrode. It still currently functions, but I can't say how long the terminal will last with some of the corrosion damage. It also lost quite a bit of the plating, so it wants to continue to corrode.

Also, can anyone give me a clue how difficult these are to remove and replace from the cable, as well as any tips on how to make the job as easy as possible? They look like they crimp on the end of the cable, but might require a special tool to do so. And GM sure didn't help the matter by giving me as little cable to work with as possible... On a sports car that stickered at over $50k, you'd think they'd give you another inch or so of cable to work with...

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Corvette(s)
    98 black 6spd convert.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    Anybody know where I can source a replacement along with the tightening nut? These are the funky top-mount terminals that have a special nut with a conical bottom that tightens a clamping bar. The negative terminal on my '04 convertible decided to unceremoniously corrode. It still currently functions, but I can't say how long the terminal will last with some of the corrosion damage. It also lost quite a bit of the plating, so it wants to continue to corrode.

Also, can anyone give me a clue how difficult these are to remove and replace from the cable, as well as any tips on how to make the job as easy as possible? They look like they crimp on the end of the cable, but might require a special tool to do so. And GM sure didn't help the matter by giving me as little cable to work with as possible... On a sports car that stickered at over $50k, you'd think they'd give you another inch or so of cable to work with...

To do the job properly you do need to crimp, solder, and heat shrink a new cable end in place which does require a special tool (large crimping device, similar to large bolt cutters), cable end and heat shrink. You will need to find an independent repair shop that has those parts and tools, I doubt a dealership will have them.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Corvette(s)
    1997 boosted silver coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Another method is use a copper compression terminal. They are known by other names also..

Compression Lugs and Terminal Connectors

Whoosh, and blur

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the information, guys! I kind-of had the feeling this was going to turn into something more involved than it looked... I'll check with my local mechanic about whether they have the proper tools to swap out the terminal end of the cable.

The main problem at the moment seems to be sourcing the part. I can't find anyone online who seems to offer the the specific terminal in question. There are a few online sources that seem to sell the entire cable (presumably with the end terminal), but they don't show any photos of the part -- only a shop-manual-like diagram that shows a cable/terminal assembly that looks like the older side-mounted one...

Top-Mount Battery Terminals for 2004 Model Year Scottsredvette's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1989 Bright Red Convertible (gone) 98 Jaguar XK8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Wow, for a simple cable, they're expensive little critters... list price of $62 and on sale for only $37. Whan I was still working, the company I worked for built specialty equipment for the Gov't. That would have cost us about $6 to make and taken about five minutes to pull the parts, cut, strip, crimp, install the shrink tubing and bag.

88987122 - OEM GM Negative Cable | GMPartsCenter.net

Ahh for the good old days when one could just go to the parts store and buy a clamp on end that worked for every auto.
    Last edited by Scottsredvette; 03-17-18 at 06:25 AM.
    I don't like making plans for the day. The word "premeditated" is not useful when it gets thrown around a courtroom.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsredvette View Post
    Wow, for a simple cable, they're expensive little critters... list price of $62 and on sale for only $37. Whan I was still working, the company I worked for built specialty equipment for the Gov't. That would have cost us about $6 to make and taken about five minutes to pull the parts, cut, strip, crimp, install the shrink tubing and bag.

88987122 - OEM GM Negative Cable | GMPartsCenter.net

Ahh for the good old days when one could just go to the parts store and buy a clamp on end that worked for every auto.
    Yeah, that "Corvette tax" is getting kinda steep...

Thanks for that source with a photo, Scott! That's exactly the part I need! Now that I have a part number, I can do a bit of comparison shopping to see if anyone's got a little better price. But they're all probably going to come in around that $35 mark...

Top-Mount Battery Terminals for 2004 Model Year BigJimZ16's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2010 Grand Sport Vert JS Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,2004,corvette,5.7l+v8,1423921,electrical,battery+cable,2500 ; Rockauto $30.79
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,
    Thanks timfitz63 thanked for this post