• C5 Seat Rebuild - Better than new
  • C5 Seat Rebuild - Better than new

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by GFLVETTE2 View Post
    I had 3 bladders, 2 for the lumbar and 1 on the seat base. They are Sport Seats. I do know that the base did get firm when I hit the button, now it don't raise. There are 4 switches on the seat. Thanks and please advise.
    I've got the sport seats in both of mine too, but there are (as you noted) only three bladder-type adjustments: upper lumbar, lower lumbar, and the side 'wings' of the seat back. These are controlled by the three toggle switches shown in your photo.

There are no bladder-type adjustments for the seat pan; only positional adjustments (fore, aft, up, down, front & rear tilt). The seat pan adjustments are made through the long 'slider' bar shown in your photo.

Are you certain you weren't confusing the seat tilt for a bladder-type adjustment in the seat pan? If you pull upward on the rear of that 'slider' bar, the back half of the seat pan should tilt up, and it might feel like it's engaging a bladder-type adjustment.

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow

Corvette(s)
    2000 Vert BOWLING GREEN METALIC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default C-5 seat

Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    I've got the sport seats in both of mine too, but there are (as you noted) only three bladder-type adjustments: upper lumbar, lower lumbar, and the side 'wings' of the seat back. These are controlled by the three toggle switches shown in your photo.

There are no bladder-type adjustments for the seat pan; only positional adjustments (fore, aft, up, down, front & rear tilt). The seat pan adjustments are made through the long 'slider' bar shown in your photo.

Are you certain you weren't confusing the seat tilt for a bladder-type adjustment in the seat pan? If you pull upward on the rear of that 'slider' bar, the back half of the seat pan should tilt up, and it might feel like it's engaging a bladder-type adjustment.
    Maybe I'M wrong about the base? maybe it was the side bolsters?? anyway one of the smaller switches makes noise like its working but does not fill. Thanks Buddy.

Corvette(s)
    '98 Aztec Gold Coupe; '04 Millennium Yellow 'Vert'
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Maybe I'M wrong about the base? maybe it was the side bolsters?? anyway one of the smaller switches makes noise like its working but does not fill. Thanks Buddy.
    Hmm. Well, if the pump is running, the switch must be OK; maybe a pneumatic line came off...? I'm trying to remember from my experiences with these things; I had the passenger side go out entirely on my '04, and it was replaced under warranty. I seem to remember them telling me the internals of the seat back are partially adjusted by electrically-driven components (aside from the pump) and partially pneumatic. But I'm going on about 4-5 year old memory on that...

1998 Aztec Gold #15||| 2004 Millennium Yellow
    Likes Greg Corcoran liked this post

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Seat

Quote Originally Posted by timfitz63 View Post
    Hmm. Well, if the pump is running, the switch must be OK; maybe a pneumatic line came off...? I'm trying to remember from my experiences with these things; I had the passenger side go out entirely on my '04, and it was replaced under warranty. I seem to remember them telling me the internals of the seat back are partially adjusted by electrically-driven components (aside from the pump) and partially pneumatic. But I'm going on about 4-5 year old memory on that...
    OK Thanks

Corvette(s)
    2005 LeMans Blue
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The base has no blatters. There are two on the back that pinch in around your waste and one in the middle to increase lower back support.

Its good you hear the motors. Then its a matter of taking the back apart to find if a hose came off the compressor or blatter or the blatter has tear in it.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default seat bladders

Quote Originally Posted by Mez View Post
    The base has no blatters. There are two on the back that pinch in around your waste and one in the middle to increase lower back support.

Its good you hear the motors. Then its a matter of taking the back apart to find if a hose came off the compressor or blatter or the blatter has tear in it.
    Thanks Mez, I did that today and found a broken coupling leading to the side Bladder. It is a relitavely fix now. I just need the neoprene coupling (I hope). Having guys like you here on the CAC is great .I thank you for your advice and I'm sure your helping others like me to do
    these tasks without much fustration. Thanks again. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me in the near future.

Corvette(s)
    2001 Navy Blue Metallic Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

A lot of times, those bladders go bad. GM wants $800 to replace them (parts only). When I refurbished my seats, I replaced those bladders with some medical bladders that are a little more stout that the stock ones. They work like a charm and give excellent support. I also reinforced my seat but I didn't buy any kit. I just made it up. It's funny how a kit mysteriously showed up on Corvette Central. You can make your own for less than $10 bucks. That's some serious Corvette tax that they are charging!

Here are the old bladders and the bladders that I used as a replacement. The old, leaky ones:

The replacements (cost was around $49)

Here's how I reinforced the seat. I covered the fiberglass edge and taped the hell out of it so that it would no longer bust through the bolster after replacing the foam and leather:

For the bottom, I bought some really hard carpet like you would find at the front door to the unemployment office and laid it on the springs. That was over 3 years ago and my seats are showing no wear in those problem areas. I drive the hell out of my car so it gets a lot of use.

Don't pay that Corvette tax!
    Last edited by Junkman2008; 02-20-13 at 09:23 PM.
    "Marines - Making the other guy die for his country for over 200 years."

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default C5

Thanks for the Post. What kind of foam did you use to replace the old foam. Thanks.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the Post. What kind of foam did you use to replace the old foam. Thanks.
    I used GM foam. The old guy that sold me my seat covers told me that there was no foam better than the original GM foam. He looked like he had been making seat covers since the Model T. I found some at Superior Chevy in KC. They gave me one hell of a deal compared to what everyone else wanted.

Corvette(s)
    1991 Vert tourquoise Metallic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Seat Fix

Does anyone have a solution for the seat back falling forward on hard stops?

Thanks D

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    Does anyone have a solution for the seat back falling forward on hard stops?

Thanks D
    That's the ol' rocking seat issue. Click here. You may also want to look at this thread.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The entire seat does't rock forward, just the seat back. Of course the driver's seat doesn't fall forward because I'm sitting in it. Step on the brake with just a little firmness and the passenger seat flops forward then back.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It is supposed to move a little bit but you really have to stop hard. The only other seat issue that I can think of that you may be experiencing is the twisting seat issue. That issue is covered in this TSB. If what you are saying is that the entire back of the seat flops forward on hard deceleration, that's something that I haven't seen or heard of before. The seats are locked into place when in the upright position. Are your seats stock? You should NOT b able to raise them forward without using the lock release tab on the back of the seat. Are your lock release tabs present?

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
    It is supposed to move a little bit but you really have to stop hard. The only other seat issue that I can think of that you may be experiencing is the twisting seat issue. That issue is covered in this TSB. If what you are saying is that the entire back of the seat flops forward on hard deceleration, that's something that I haven't seen or heard of before. The seats are locked into place when in the upright position. Are your seats stock? You should NOT b able to raise them forward without using the lock release tab on the back of the seat. Are your lock release tabs present?
    The seat does't flop all the way to the dash, seat lock and release mechanism prevent that, however, it does fall forward enough to obscure vision through the passenger window. Is this the "little bit" you refer to? The lever at the top of the seat must be pulled to allow the seat to move all the way to the dash. Examined the lock mechanism where seat back meets seat cushion, there seems to be about a half inch of play that causes this forward movement on braking, otherwise locking mechanism works. Is this just the way GM designed these seats to work? I'm hopeful you"ll say something like "No, you've lost a small bushing that slips over tab on locking mechanism."

Dave

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

The movement I'm talking about is ONLY a inch or so. Definitely not enough to block your view and you really have to stand on the brakes to get that. How far is yours moving forward? If it does it when you brake hard, you should be able to move it the same amount while sitting still and using your hand. Can you?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast