Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tires for my 01

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Clarification:
    The "Shock Stuffer Issue" is only related to the 2003 Magnetic Selective Ride Control (F55) cars and appears to have effected only the first year. After that, GM removed the shock stuffers prior to shipment so the dealers couldn't screw it up again.

All new tires ride better and quieter than old tires - doesn't matter whether they are GY's are some other brand. Admittedly, the first and second generation GY EMT's gets hard and loud faster than many other tires. That's changed some with the new GS2 EMT that is on the C6 and the F1 SuperCar EMT is very quiet old or new.
    Tuna
    New avatar - my latest novel
    Antiques To Die For

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Clarification:
    The "Shock Stuffer Issue" is only related to the 2003 Magnetic Selective Ride Control (F55) cars and appears to have effected only the first year. After that, GM removed the shock stuffers prior to shipment so the dealers couldn't screw it up again.

All new tires ride better and quieter than old tires - doesn't matter whether they are GY's are some other brand. Admittedly, the first and second generation GY EMT's gets hard and loud faster than many other tires. That's changed some with the new GS2 EMT that is on the C6 and the F1 SuperCar EMT is very quiet old or new.

I gathered that after doing some research. I really think I have decided on the Michelin's, now to find someone who can actually install the run-flats. One of the local guys, "thinks" he can do them, the other said, "I can do them, but I'm not sure how much it will cost" (?????) In the city, one guy hung up on me when I asked about Run-flats. Another, the one who probably does more low profile and more custom wheels, was way high on the price. I can get the Michelin's for $922 delivered, but then I'll need someone to mount and balance them. I may have to go to a "bigger" city.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Tom, come on over to CS and use REX (make an appointment). They install the Pilots on a lot of vettes and also do the alignment. I think I will install the Pilots when I need to change tires. Rik at Corvette Center says Rex is one of the best at installing tires as they are very careful with mounting (no wheel damage). Also, they will use the stick on weights (I checked yesterday - will be taking the 02 to them next week for an alignment before leaving for the Non CF in BG). Of course, getting 4 tires to CS in the vette would be difficult.

Barrett

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Well, I actually went in and face to face with the guy who was "too high" and after talking to him, He said he would supply the Michelin's, mount and balance for just $78 more than I could buy and have them delivered, or he would charge me $25/ wheel to mount and balance if I brought the tires in. So it was a no brainer, I said "Get those tires on order." He'll give me a call when they come in. I think it pays to go in and talk to these guys face to face.

Technical Writer for Internet & Print Media
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

This tread reads as if the initiator has already made the purchase but I suggest anyone considering replacing run flat tires on a C5 read this article first:
    Corvette Action Center Knowledgebase :: Technical Article: Run Flat Facts

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Yes Hib, I am/was aware of the limitation on the Michelin's when I decided upon them. And as I stated early on, I just will not buy Goodyear tires.... period. I have had such bad experiences with Goodyear that they'd have to give them to me before I'd put them on. But thank you for your post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Was your experience with the tires themselves or with a Goodyear dealer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Three different dealers and two different sets of tires.....so it's not like I haven't given them a chance....

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Toms01 View Post
    Well, I actually went in and face to face with the guy who was "too high" and after talking to him, He said he would supply the Michelin's, mount and balance for just $78 more than I could buy and have them delivered, or he would charge me $25/ wheel to mount and balance if I brought the tires in. So it was a no brainer, I said "Get those tires on order." He'll give me a call when they come in. I think it pays to go in and talk to these guys face to face.

Yes it does, plus you spent money locally (which I am personally a big fan of), and if there is a problem you will be treated like a valued customer. I have done the math with internet tire purchases many times, and when you factor in shipping, mounting and balancing, it was always cheaper to buy from a local dealer, plus you get their warranty (plus the manufacturers warranty) and their service if there ever is a problem.
    Master Technician

25+ year ASE Master Certified Tech

22+ year Honda Master Tech

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by LLC5 View Post
    Yes it does, plus you spent money locally (which I am personally a big fan of), and if there is a problem you will be treated like a valued customer. I have done the math with internet tire purchases many times, and when you factor in shipping, mounting and balancing, it was always cheaper to buy from a local dealer, plus you get their warranty (plus the manufacturers warranty) and their service if there ever is a problem.
    Actually, this is the third time I have gone to this guy and he has met or beat the final price of the internet. I believe what the internet has done is make these guys more competitive. I agree that I would prefer to leave my money local, for all the reasons you listed. And I realize that they have to make some money or they don't stay in business. I think everyone came out OK on this deal. And because he was willing to deal with me I am now buying my third set of tires from him, repeat business is a great deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I understand.

I admire people with strong principles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thank you, Hib. It means a lot to me coming from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I used TIRERACK.COM to order my tires and they delivered them to a local vendor for a lot less than the vendor could sell me the tires direct. Mounted and balanced, they cost about 75.00 per tire less than the same dealer would sell me the tires for. I have no intrest... in tirerack but have gone thru them for large savings on tires and shocks for my 91 convertible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12