Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    2004 Magnetic Red Metallic II Convertible
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
    This is a pretty neat design for sure; love the way it fits in the cup holder, how or do you know does it fit in the so called cup holder of the C-5? The reviews are somewhat mixed; so this has me a little concerned; are you buying one I would rather talk to some one who has used it and give me the straight skinny More 5 stars than anything though Again pretty igenious design I must say!

Bill
    Bill, yeah I'm going to order it this weekend and give it a try. The reviews on it are definitely better than iTrips, the Kensingtons, or the Monster FM transmitters. Mac World gave it a good review too. Will definitely let y'all know how well it works.

Rick

installing a 12 cd changer hoosierdaddy's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    2000 Black Coupe; W/6-Speed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
    Bill, yeah I'm going to order it this weekend and give it a try. The reviews on it are definitely better than iTrips, the Kensingtons, or the Monster FM transmitters. Mac World gave it a good review too. Will definitely let y'all know how well it works.

Rick
    I'll be interested in how it works out Rick; do keep us posted Pretty ingenious design, also interested in how it fits in the so called cup holder on the C-5

Thanks,

Bill
    President Abraham Lincoln as stated in the Gettysburg Address
    "From these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain."
    "Defend Those That Defended Us"

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

OK, after using the Macally FMcup for a good week now, I think I'm ready to give my report.

In general, I am very pleased with this FM transmitter. While no FM tranmistter will sound as good as hard-wired, this gets as close to hard-wired as possible relative to other options. The good:

1. It allows tuning to the entire FM spectrum (88.1+). The FM band is pretty crowded here in Colorado Springs so I was concerned that I would have problems. While it took a while to find the perfect frequency, once I found it, the iPod signal is transmitted loud and clear. No static. It obviously has enough power to overcome bleed over.

2. Easy hook up and use.

3. The iPod is stable in the adaptor. It's location makes changing playlists and so on convenient.

4. It fit my iPod Classic perfectly. It also comes with adaptors for all iPods BTW. You can also use it for portable cd players or other MP3 players by connecting the iCup to the headphone jack...cable included.

5. It charges your iPod as advertised.

6. It's color and design makes it blend in well with the console.

7. Sturdy and well constructed.

The bad (not really bad, but things that make it NOT perfect)

1. Doesn't fit "perfectly" in the console cupholder. If the door was not on the cup holder it would. I'm not willing to remove the door. It does fit perfectly in my Travel Buddy, but I don't want it down there. Though not "perfect" it is still secure in the cupholder. The spring loaded grips work well. I put the car through some paces (some hard rights and lefts) and the FMCup did not move. Though not perfect, I can live with this.

2. I did need to remove my iPod case for it to fit in the docking station. BFD.

3. Doesn't seem to have the ability to set your own presets. The Quick Search button just gives you the chance to switch between factory set stations. So if you have found some frequencies that work pretty good and you need to switch around quickly, well not so much. I just set FM2 presets on the stereo. I will have to change the frequency on the FMCup manually. This is just something I'll have to live with. Once again, this is a minor thing to me.

4. The power cord is bulky (coiled). You can't really close your ashtray while it is plugged in. Minor annoyance.

5. You need to set the volume on the iPod to max and adjust the volume on the stereo for it to sound right. This is to be expected, though, as FCC regulations limit the power on these types of devices. It is still more powerful than other options.

With all things considered, I do not regret this purchase at all and feel good in recommending it over less expensive alternatives like the iTrip. At $44.00 on Amazon.com it qualifies for free shipping. It is worth the extra cost. If you do not wish to go through the expense or hassle of hard-wiring, this is a really good option.

http://www.amazon.com/Macally-Dockin...pr_product_top

Some things to consider if you're thinking about getting this:

1. I have an automatic so the FMCup does not get in the way. I really don't know if this is the case with a six-speed. If a Coke can doesn't interfere, I don't think this will though.

2. There is no battery option, so if your cigarette lighter or auxillary power in the console doesn't work, this won't either.

Rick
    Some people are like slinkies,
    They don't really have a purpose,
    But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

OK, after using the Macally FMcup for a good week now, I think I'm ready to give my report.

Thanks for the detailed report, very informational for sure

Is there anyway you could take a picture of it in the cup holder hooked up so we could see what it looks like installed?

Thanks,
    Bill

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy View Post
    Thanks for the detailed report, very informational for sure

Is there anyway you could take a picture of it in the cup holder hooked up so we could see what it looks like installed?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Will do!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
    Will do!
    Thanks

Bill
    "From these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they here gave the last full measure of devotion - that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain."

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Here it is in War Pony!

Corvette(s)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Look'n Good. . . . . . .

Looks pretty choice Fullback32 ; the ash tray lid doesn't appear to be in the way too much.

Thanks for the pictures,
    Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12