• Questions on buying a C5...or...New old member PNW

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    curmudgeon

Default Questions on buying a C5...or...New old member PNW

I haven't owned a Corvette, but am seriously looking at this time. I have limited budget so I need to know several things.

1. Is it safe to run the cheaper non run-flat tires? If so what is a good tire?
    2. How is the reliability of C-5's in the 2000 vintage?

Thanks
    Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Welcome to the CAC! Yes you can run cheaper non runflat tires but the non runflat I ran really wasn't cheaper. I had Good Year GS D3's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Phil, your questions regarding the C5 would receive more attention in the C5 forum than in the New Member forum and we want you to get as much feedback as possible if you're considering a purchase... so...

with that in mind, I'm going to move your thread there and edit the title to get you as much exposure as possible.

The CAC C5 Forums Index

BTW... there are a couple of things here which could be a big help to you. One is the CAC Model Center and another is the CAC Buyers Checklist, a printable checksheet you can take along when looking at a potential purchase.

Good luck in your search.
    Jane Ann

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Welcome Phil, I agree with jrose7004, I personally run BF Goodrich on my cars and love them. When you start looking at tires you will find a great number of them for the Vettes. One place to start looking would be the Tire Rack web site. They will give you the specs to help you.
    04 Z06 M/S w/ Mod Red
    98 Coupe auto Nassau Blue
    87 Coupe auto Sil Beige/Med Brn

Questions on buying a C5...or...New old member PNW BigJimZ16's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    I haven't owned a Corvette, but am seriously looking at this time. I have limited budget so I need to know several things.

1. Is it safe to run the cheaper non run-flat tires? If so what is a good tire?
    2. How is the reliability of C-5's in the 2000 vintage?

Thanks
    Phil

Phil, I've got two C5s and couldn't be happier. The '04 being the last year of the breed is the best to own (the most standard equipment & the fewest problems). I put non-run flat PS2s on my vert last spring and love them. My Z06 came with non-run flats, I'll put the PS2s on it when needed as well.
    The only thing that you accomplish when you make something idiotproof, is breed a better grade of idiot,

curmudgeon

I checked with Costco and was told a set of run-flat tires would cost around $1300, and regular tires around $800. Part of my quest for a sports car is to determine how expensive it would be to maintain. Tires seem to be a significant cost. I was surprised to see insurance would be around $700 per year which seems reasonable for a vehicle with this performance potential.

How many miles can you expect from regular non run-flat tires. I would most likely be driving fairly conservative most of the time.

The person at Costco stated he wouldn't recommend using regular tires; Questioning what I would do if I had a flat.

So what do you do if you have a flat while using non run-flat tires. He also stated you wouldn't be able to plug the tire, because you couldn't get the tool through the tough carcass.

I'm also considering a Honda S2000. It would certainly be cheaper to maintain with cheaper to purchase tires. I'm 6'1" and the cockpit of the Honda is tight.

This group will be biased for the Corvette, but I'm still interested in any comments as to which car I'd be happier with.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

My simple submission is that there are TWO things that one should not scrimp on.

Tires and brakes.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Had the Goodyear GS-D3's. Wore out the rears after 3-years and approximately 15 autocrosses. Fronts probably have 50% left. Complete cost of replacement close to $1500 (mounted, balanced, taxes, etc). I'm replacing with Kumho MXs non-runflats for less than $750. Loved the Goodyears but could not justify the cost.

You'll have several choices of non-runflats from about $600 (Sumitomos) to runflat GS-D3's for close to triple that. Check out any of the online tire merchants including Tire Rack and Discount Tires. Then check with you local tire shop preferably through your local Corvette club which can usually give you good advise and referrals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I bought a 2000 vert a couple of years ago and I have had no major problems with it. As far as running non-run-flats or not, there is and, I think will always be two seperate camps on that issue. There are valid reasons to go either way. And there are drawbacks of going either way. I have run-flats on my Vette and they have performed well. It will come down to what you feel is the best for you.
    It's all right to be crazy, just don't let it drive you nuts. Jimmy Buffett