$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Hood operation

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    120
    Corvette(s)
    1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default Hood operation

    The hood on my 85 opens but when I pull the release it doesn't pop up as it used to. It does release but only comes up a tiny bit. I suspect the struts or the springs at the rear corners (or both) are worn out. What should I replace to make the hood "pop" open like it used to.

  2. #2
    Member vee93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    585
    Corvette(s)
    1993 Medium Quasar Blue Metallic Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Try tightening the hood release cable.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    east coast
    Posts
    116
    Corvette(s)
    1986 red
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    I have the same problem. Let me know what you cure the problem with. It's not the release cable. at least not for me.

  4. #4
    flightdeck2
    Guest

    Default

    I'm having the same problem on my 85.Hood came down hard from full open.Releases fully on the right side only comes up a little on the drivers side.Feels like the latch opened on the left side to spring it up about 1 inch.Do I need the tool they sell.I think the catch is still stuch on the latch?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    120
    Corvette(s)
    1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Thannks - but it's not the cable. Both sides release but when they do the hood only rises a fraction of an inch. It used to pop up a couple inches. I've ordered new springs which are located on the rear corners and new strut cylinders. When i get them in I'll let you know what worked.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    120
    Corvette(s)
    1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flightdeck2 View Post
    I'm having the same problem on my 85.Hood came down hard from full open.Releases fully on the right side only comes up a little on the drivers side.Feels like the latch opened on the left side to spring it up about 1 inch.Do I need the tool they sell.I think the catch is still stuch on the latch?
    The tool that Gordon Kilebrew invented is the only easy way to open a stuck hood. I have one under the seat just in case. Mid Ameria sells the tool and if you'll be at Carlisle next month Gordon will sell you one there.

  7. #7
    Hood operation Tuna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Mustang, OK
    Posts
    3,634
    Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    1

    Default

    I suppose you have lubricated the latches on both sides so that they operate smoothly.

    A lot of water and other junk flows off the windshield into the latch mechanism and can cause it to hang up.
    Tuna
    My Novels:
    Crossbow Revenge
    Alice Was Not Her Name
    Antiques To Die For
    HyperDeath

    Murder mysteries!


  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    120
    Corvette(s)
    1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    I suppose you have lubricated the latches on both sides so that they operate smoothly.

    A lot of water and other junk flows off the windshield into the latch mechanism and can cause it to hang up.

    Yep - that was the first thing I tried. It's moving free just not moving far. Thanks for the suggestion though

  9. #9
    flightdeck2
    Guest

    Default

    I bought the tool and used it.I can push in the latch realease but the drivers side still only up about 1/2 inch.It pops up about that with the regular release but no more than that and feels like it's still latched.Even with the tool the drivers side is still stuck.I even removed the splash shield but can,t get to the latch from there.The bottom of the latch area is completely surrounded by metal.I can"t figure whats holding it.I can push it back down to lock it but takes alot of pressure to do it.It pops the 1 inch with the realease put pulling up on it feels likes it's still latshed like something is jammed.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    120
    Corvette(s)
    1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flightdeck2 View Post
    I bought the tool and used it.I can push in the latch realease but the drivers side still only up about 1/2 inch.It pops up about that with the regular release but no more than that and feels like it's still latched.Even with the tool the drivers side is still stuck.I even removed the splash shield but can,t get to the latch from there.The bottom of the latch area is completely surrounded by metal.I can"t figure whats holding it.I can push it back down to lock it but takes alot of pressure to do it.It pops the 1 inch with the realease put pulling up on it feels likes it's still latshed like something is jammed.

    If it pops up a inch it's not stuck in the latch. Something else is going on

  11. #11
    flightdeck2
    Guest

    Default

    I'm not sure whats causing it.On the passenger side It"s up and I can pull up and actually see the bottom of the latching pin.On the drivers side thats up an inch I can see the pin but it looks like the very end of the pin,the mushroom style
    end,looks like its almost out of the latch,but the hood won't come up any further than I inch.Like I said in my first post the hood came down from full up after a 65 mph gust from an approaching thunderstorm pushed the hood forward enough to release the hood prop.I'll keep looking.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    120
    Corvette(s)
    1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Well I replaced the gas struts and the hood comes up easier but it still doesn't "pop up" when I pull the release. next thing I'll replace the springs at the rear corners of the hood.

  13. #13
    flightdeck2
    Guest

    Default

    I found my problem after sawing thru what I thought was a stuck latch pin.Turns out when the hood came down it folded the hood prop the wrong way and was jammed.Finally got the hood opened but it took out the fiberglass front and side splashes.One thing I thought odd was the hood prop is bolted to the fiberglass splashes?

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    120
    Corvette(s)
    1985 red coupe, 2004 red coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flightdeck2 View Post
    I found my problem after sawing thru what I thought was a stuck latch pin.Turns out when the hood came down it folded the hood prop the wrong way and was jammed.Finally got the hood opened but it took out the fiberglass front and side splashes.One thing I thought odd was the hood prop is bolted to the fiberglass splashes?

    glad you got it opened. - sorry about the damage

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    23
    Corvette(s)
    1985 Gold Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides
    0

    Default

    As I'm experiencing the same lack of hood "pop" as described by Bill Heygster in his dated post, I read the various posts with a great deal of interest. Unlatching is not a problem with my 1985 C4; lack of "pop" is. I replaced the hood struts during the winter months, and have cleaned/lubed the latches. Replacement of the struts made raising the hood much easier, but did little to address the lack of "pop". Does anyone know if replacing the hood pin springs is a possible solution? As the expense is minimal for new springs, I'm considering this option. Oh ya, the cables were replaced several years ago when I was unable to unlatch the hood. I've not attempted to adjust the pins. Thanks for your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Found a low miles 87 Callaway
    By Glutamine83 in forum Callaway Corvette Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-15-08, 11:15 AM
  2. The old C4 Cliché: Hood issues.
    By Will in forum C4 General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-10-06, 10:13 AM
  3. Voting Time: Which hood should I have made for my C8?
    By Brangeta in forum Callaway Corvette Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-13-06, 10:07 PM
  4. Aftermarket hood help needed
    By 76 Sting in forum C3 Technical and Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-07-04, 03:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •