$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: l98 soup up

c4speeder

Default l98 soup up

i own a 1990 coupe and i wanna throw a 383 stroker in it and i was wondering if its ok to keep the stock cam from my old engine and use it in the storker if not what would you guys recomend. also are my injectors, pump, and so on going to be able to handle all the extra power.

Corvette(s)
    '90 coupe (gone) '96 CE LT4 Z51
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It really depends on the heads and intake you use. Are you going to use the stock heads / intake? The stock cam is one of the things that most people change out when upping the output of these motors. You might look at the GM Hot cam or one of the TPIS ZZ9, ZZ9x, or ZZ409 cams. Also Crane, Comp, Lunati, and Trick Flow make some pretty good hyd roller cams. Look for something in the 210-230 range for intake and 220-240 exhaust durations with lift around .525 on a 110-112 lobe center.

The fuel pump should be alright, easy enough and relatively cheap to upgrade. As far as injectors go the size you need depends on the duty cycle and the amount of HP your engine makes. There is a formula, but I don't have it handy.

Corvette(s)
    1984 White Z-51/ZF6-40/Shinoda body
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Check this link. http://www.jimsperformance.com/tech.html
    You should call Jim with your questions, then give him some biz. He's outstanding!

You will probably be fine with the stock fuel pump, but I followed a recommendation to use a later, GM truck pump, with more output.

You really want input on this big project from ONE long-established shop that has success with strokers, so you are as happy with your outcome as I am with mine.
    mike

Moonunit 451

A4 or std shift? The builds are different in most folks opinion, and there are well proven setups for each. How much are you planning on doing yourself?

c4speeder

i plan on doing the whole thing myself when i put the car away for the winter im going to use the stock heads and upper parts. later down the road i plan on getting a 700r4 that can handle the power, i have no idea if i have a4 or std how can i tell. what kind of torque converter to you suggest

c4speeder

thanks for the help ill check it out vette guys i ask are like why the hell would u change anything so thanks again for the help

c4speeder

i think im going to go with crane powermax roller cam with a 2500-6000 rpm range 222/230 in/ex duration and .509/.528 do you think that will be ok

Corvette(s)
    2003 Z06
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I don't think the stock plenum, runners and intake can flow well enough for that 383. The intake was designed with the 305 in mind so it's already underflowing for a 350, nonetheless a 383.

Moonunit 451

I don't know about cam #'s, but you're talking 700R4,so you have an auto,A4. LPE 219 cam, better heads and a Superram is the answer to your long term ?, unless perhaps someone would be willing to step up and disagree with me. It's a well developed proven preformer for5 the A4, you'll need a D44 rear to be dependable if you want to thrash it 3,000 stall quality TC