• Need some final idle assistance

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    ltmark

Default Need some final idle assistance

'85 L98- done a lot of work over the last three months getting my coupe all refurbished. Just about every sensor, cat, vacuum hoses, smog pump. etc. etc. But after all the fine tuning, I couldn't drive it to help the ECM learn all the settings, because it wasn't current on registration. (a ticket would have forced me to smog it within 30 days)

I took it out tonight ( on a late night run) and it ran like a champ (forgot how fast it was-it's been sitting in the garage since my wife retired 2 years ago!)

No codes after the run and it's showed "closed loop" without being lean or rich!

However, although I had the idel set right in the garage, after the trek, the idel stayed at 1200. I plan on doing the IAC (also new by the way) routine again in the morning when it's cold, but the last time I tried to set the idle (jumper on and IAC disconnected), I had to run the idle screw in quite a bit to get it up to 550 RPM and keep it from dying. This, I assume is why it wouldn't drop below 1300 during the road test. (the TPS is also new and set at .54v)

Assuming the idle screw has "just contacted" the throttle lever, what would be a normal number of turns where I should expect to get my 550?

If I can get this idle correct, it'll be ready for the paint shop! Original red of course!

Thanx for any assistance!

Corvette(s)
    1994 Red vert 1986 Blue Silver vette coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

If you adjust the idle the TPS will have to be adjusted all over again and when the engine cold.
    Proseger is in the form just type in tps information .054 volts has to be set with engine cold.

Corvette(s)
    1995 6 Speed Manual Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by ltmark
    I took it out tonight ( on a late night run) and it ran like a champ (forgot how fast it was-it's been sitting in the garage since my wife retired 2 years ago!)
    No codes after the run and it's showed "closed loop" without being lean or rich!
    What do you mean by "it's showed closed loop" ??? Is there a warning like that in the Corvette???