Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Something I had forgotten about. I have seen the converter to flexplate bolts work lose also.

brimis

The oil pan is still off the car. Inside I did see small pieces of plastic, but believe it to be from the oil pump. There is no sign of metal shavings in the oil, looked clean.
    I will check the flexplate and splice plate over the weekend. I did try the hose to ear, but still had a tough time locating the noise.
    After the flexplate and splice plate I will remove the caps and check the cap bearings. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted.

Corvette(s)
    1995 White Coupe LT-1 Auto
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Noise source

One of my kids replaced his oil pan gasket years ago and afterwards got a severe knock. Turned out that he'd jacked the engine up with a board across the lowest part of the oil pan and dented the center of the pan ever so slightly. The oil pump was rattling against the pan and making an awful thump. We took the pan off and pushed it back out (less than 1/8") and the knock was gone.
    Take a close look at the pan's shape.

Corvette(s)
    1990 red convert 6 sp
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by brimis
    The oil pan is still off the car. Inside I did see small pieces of plastic, but believe it to be from the oil pump. There is no sign of metal shavings in the oil, looked clean.
    I will check the flexplate and splice plate over the weekend. I did try the hose to ear, but still had a tough time locating the noise.
    After the flexplate and splice plate I will remove the caps and check the cap bearings. Thanks for all the help, I'll keep you posted.
    Plastic in the oil pan? now or at sometime the timing gear may have failed , if they didn't use the plastic coated timing gears in the vettes then someone please jump in a correct me. If the plastic broke on the cam gear it is possible that the knock is the chain on the gear. Thoughts from someone else on this ?

brimis

Scav, you've given me hope. I've heard the cam gear may be plastic. I will pull the waterpump and timng cover and cross my fingers. I'll keep you posted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12