Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    johnny80

Default Rebuilt or New Transmission

Awhile back I posted a thread regarding replacing my 4+3 with a 6 speed. Got some great guidance but now, as I begin to crunch the numbers and doing my online research, I see that a rebuilt 6 speed with a great warranty is almost 1100.00 less than new. Is there going to be much of a major difference if I go with the rebuilt? With both products having a warranty, I could allocate the savings into the installation. Any suggestions?

Bill Riggs

Hey johnny, I'm thinking of doing the same thing. What 6 speed are you looking at?
    Bill

johnny80

there are a couple of places that have rebuilts..one in Calif and the other in Carolina. On my work computer I have the websites saved. I think that is the route I am going to go. On a military members budget, I need to save as much as possible. I have put a lot into my vette already, with new paint. new rims ( original 17 inch 12 slot ) ECM, brake work. I love it too much to get rid of her. I will be going back to Iraq in FEB and will be able to save quite a bit with the tax free benefit. Just wish I could get her fixed now, but good things come to those who wait. The hardest thing I have to research is who will do the work. I have a repair shop here locally, Corvettes of Auburn but I am afraid the labor alone will cost as much as the tranny. I am not mechanically inclined. I have to trust them. They have been great to me.

johnny80

The site I am looking at is Tracy's Transmissions

http://www.tracyvette.com/transmissions.html

Bill Riggs

Hey Johnny, Thanks for the link info. I had an 81 when I was in the Corps and had to do one mod per month. Now I'm a 41 yr old full time graduate student and back to the same schedule. I understand the budget issues.
    Thanks for your willingness to serve. Just remember, it is not the US military's place to judge the terrorists, it's God's. Our job is to arrange the meeting.

Corvette(s)
    1991 coupe, FX3, 6 spd, red/black
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Riggs
    ......Thanks for your willingness to serve. Just remember, it is not the US military's place to judge the terrorists, it's God's. Our job is to arrange the meeting.

very well said

johnny80

Thanks!