$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: The Smell...

Freak Of Nature

Default The Smell...

I've noticed when I give my Vette a little gas & hit 60-70 MPH, a really strong smell comes into the car. It's not a normal smell though? Maybe kind've like plastic? Hard to explain it. Any idea of what could be causing it?

Corvette(s)
    1988 white 4+3 coupe 99 Torch Red 6spd. coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default The Smell

Hi, I hope it's not electrical, maybe something up against your motor or exh. manifold could be the culprit. Vette's do seem to have an odor, I've had five and there is a plastic-like flora that emits from them. Just a thought.

Freak Of Nature

Hopefully nothing bad, just "one of those smells". Taking it for some work on Monday, so I'll be sure to mention it to my mechanic.

Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Things are so close, and underhood temperatures are so high, add aging wiring harnesses and looms, my guess is that something started getting too close for comfort and began melting. I've had it happen to me several times, check anywhere the exhaust gets close to anything.

Freak Of Nature

Will do! Dropping my car off at my friends/mechanics on Monday. He's gonna give me a nice flush & tune, check out EVERYTHING, and play with the things that need help. Only thing that sucks is, the car sat so long before I bought it. Figure... A 19 year old car with 54,000 miles on it, it did some sitting. The seal in the rearend went bad/loose and now I need a new one. Can't even drive the car it's leeking greese so bad. The seal probably only cost $10.00, but the labor in taking apart the rearend is bad. Soon it'll be nice & drivable again. Can't wait!

Corvette(s)
    1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Just as an example of how a little bit of something can make the interior smell like it's a big deal when it's not ...

The other day I had to remove the upper connection on the hose to the radiator, and in the process of course spilled some anti-freeze on and around the engine compartment. I wiped up what I could be even though I got most of it (all that I could see actually), I could still smell the dreaded coolant smell as the engine heated up as I drove home later. Of course, there were no leaks, the job was done right.

It's always good to know exactly what is causing the odor though. Let us know what you find.

_ken