$projecthp
  • Click..no Start...click..no Start...start...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    racersedge52

Default Click..no Start...click..no Start...start...

OK, heres a different version (at least I haven't found an exactly similar posting here) of the click/no start intermittent problem!

When I go to start, I often get a click that I have verified is coming from the starter area under the car. The click is quite loud if you get down next to the starter. It always either clicks or starts. The problem is not the battery as I replaced a good battery with an even 'gooder' one to find that out! (read waste of $$$)

All electronics come on as they should. I don't think it's the '95 distributor' problem as if that occurs, then you would still be getting the engine to turn over but no start.

In my case, I just get the 'click' and the engine doesn't turn over.

Also, sometimes when it does start, something starts making a 'shimming' sound as if maybe the starter connection is still stuck on. It eventually goes away by itself, or if I turn the engine off and start it again and whatever the problem is goes away.

The clicking is occuring most of the time when I go to start, regardless of whether it is cold or hot. But sometimes it seems to take longer to start (more clicking before starting) if the car has not been driven for a few days. Likewise, it seems to start easier (less clicking before starting) when the car is warm.

The 'click' is just that. It is a single loud click when starting is attempted. It is not the multiple clicks that are sometimes heard when a battery is going dead.

I don't think it is a connection problem like others have experienced. I get good power always to the starter.

So far, since this problem first started occuring a few months ago (about 1500 miles), it has always eventually started. I haven't really seen a pattern other than it starts easier (fewer click attempts before starting) when the car is driven more frequently.

Another side problem that I think may be occuring is that when it takes a lot of attempts (turning the key off/on) to finally get the starter to work, it is loading up the injectors/maf/fuel system and causes very rough starting at first. This usually doesn't happen when the engine is started warm. I suspect this will go away when the starter problem is solved. But it has caused some nasty misfiring that I should do a complete tuneup to fix.

If anyone has had similar problems, your input is greatly appreciated. I do suspect that it is probably the starter solemoid or starter itself. But I am trying to zero in on a mostly likely correct fix before a spend (waste) any more $$$ on guesses.

Thanks, and have a save fouth.

Corvette(s)
    84 Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Make sure the VATS chip on the key is clean…(long shot) Sounds like it IS the starter... first check the wire connections to see if they are tight…check that the starter is making a good connection to the block (that is the ground that completes the circuit…remove the starter and have it “LOAD” tested most national parts stores will do it free…if you need a new one replace the solenoid and the bendix at the same time.

rrhayden

My 92 had an identical problem, turn the key click, no start. It turned out the solinoid in the starter was bad. I was told it is a common problem. I had the starter rebuilt and all is fine now. I found a place that would remove it, rebuild it and give a lifetime warranty for the price of a rebuit at the auto parts store. Now I like to work on my baby, but changing the starter did not sound like fun in the rain.

Best of luck!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Agreed, starter itself or solenoid. Be advised that one of these times an eventual start is not guaranteed and the resulting service call/tow could cost more than the starter motor replacement.

madstacker

had the same problem in the 94 ta put in rebuilt starter and started up on first try.

Thanatos69

Seems I'm getting the same problem. (posted it today under another message thread) I'll be checking out the cabling to make sure its not a loose or worn power lead, but I think its the starter also. Anyone know a good rebuild shop in the Austin, Tx area?

44 Mag

Default Click, no start

racersedge52

I had a similar problem when I had an injector sticking open. What was happening was the cylinder was partially filling with fuel making it hard to turn over. If I kept hitting the key, the engine would work it's way past the compression and have pushed the fuel out. Eventually, it (the injector), stayed on and the engine wouldn't turn over at all. The way to find it was to pull the plugs one at a time and check for fuel in the cylinder.
    Not saying that's your problem, but just a thought.

racersedge52

Default Starter problem finally resolved!!!!! YEA!!!!

Ok, it was just the starter going bad. Plain and simple. I finally took it in after I got stranded in a parking lot in Texas 106F heat for 30 minutes.

Also, a rebuilt starter costs me just $189 and I paid $70 for labor install. I wanted to do it myself, but since I hadn't cleaned up the garage and the thing was getting ready to die for the final time, I didn't have much choice.

But at least it's fixed now.

Also, put in new plugs (platinums) and fuel filter as well and got a break on labor. (More stuff I didn't have time or place to do myself)

I just keep thinking about all the places I've been, some hundreds of miles from home, where it could've died on me and really been a pain to get back to town. It happened to come to almost a complete stop just a mile from home base. I got it started one more time and straight to the shop!

I just wish I could have done it myself.

Anyway, still a few days of summer left!

Da Hawaiian Punch

Default Re: Starter problem finally resolved!!!!! YEA!!!!

Originally posted by racersedge52
    Ok, it was just the starter going bad. Plain and simple. I finally took it in after I got stranded in a parking lot in Texas 106F heat for 30 minutes.

Also, a rebuilt starter costs me just $189 and I paid $70 for labor install. I wanted to do it myself, but since I hadn't cleaned up the garage and the thing was getting ready to die for the final time, I didn't have much choice.

But at least it's fixed now.

Also, put in new plugs (platinums) and fuel filter as well and got a break on labor. (More stuff I didn't have time or place to do myself)

I just keep thinking about all the places I've been, some hundreds of miles from home, where it could've died on me and really been a pain to get back to town. It happened to come to almost a complete stop just a mile from home base. I got it started one more time and straight to the shop!

I just wish I could have done it myself.

Anyway, still a few days of summer left!

Sorry I didnt see you post sooner, yes it is/was your starter, the clicking that you heard was the "cylinoid" pushing the starter pin into the "flex plate" of your motor, but being that your starter was bad, it wouldnt/couldnt turn the plate, which in turns, rotates the motor for it to catch and fire up.
    Sorry once again for the late help.