$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HB95Vette

Default Should I buy high mileage?

Hi,
    I'm new to the forum and very close to buying my first corvette... a 95 Arctic White coupe. A friend has been the only owner so far and he's willing to sell it to me for what he would get trading it in on the Porsche he's buying. It has been dealer maintained, has full service records and my friend is a fanatic about taking care of it. It's in mint condition and it looks as if I will get it for about $9500... so what's my worry? Well... the only troublesome item to me is that it has 90K miles on it and I intend using it as a daily driver. Any opinions? Will it be an expensive ride? Or are the miles not so important if it has been properly maintained?

Also wondering if anyone knows of a corvette club in the Huntington Beach, California area? Could also use any recommendations on good non-GM mechanics in the area!

Thanks in advance...

Should I buy high mileage? Tuna's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    '13 427 60th vert - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Go for it. As mentioned else where in this forum, high mileage isn't a problem when you are looking at a car that has maintenance documentation and you know the owner.

Something thing you might want to check are the wheel bearing. At 90K, they can start showing wear and may need replacing. Sometimes they last a lot longer. I autocross my ol 92 and I replaced them last year around that mileage.

78SilvAnniv

Default High Mileage fan

Originally posted by HB95Vette
    A friend has been the only owner so far...It has been dealer maintained, has full service records and my friend is a fanatic about taking care of it. It's in mint condition...
    My personal opinion about high mileage vehicles is that the mileage represents reliable road worthy-ness. However, I would only purchase one described as you describe this one: properly maintained by a fanatic.

I don't think you could go wrong. Buy it.
    Granted that's easy to say when it isn't my money......but I would also be aware that some things may require service or replacement, but this vehicle sounds like it was well cared for and seems a spectacular purchase for a 1st vette.
    Heidi

Should I buy high mileage? Vettelt193's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    none right now :(
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

It sounds like a good deal, but you can count on normal wear and tear items breaking every once in a while. I wouldn't hesitate on the deal, but on the other hand I would keep in mind that repair bills will come in.

Corvette(s)
    before 60,63&82 now 90 383 Stroker & 91 ZR1-Sold
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Buy it quick. When he gets sick of the ¨routine¨ maintenance bills on the P car sell it back to him for $12,500. or better yet keep the Vette and tell him if he wants to drive euro trash with a ¨P¨ in the name to get a Peu-goat, at least they start in the morning.

I have the right to talk bad about these cars, I once bought a new BMW 850CSI. That makes me the fool in this picture doesn’t it?

Should I buy high mileage? rrubel's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1986 Bright Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Daaaaaaammmmmnnnn!!!

I've a co-worker who wanted an 850CSi for as long as I've known him (long time). He finally got one, used, for about $50k. Then he promptly put about $12k into repairs. It's a sweet-looking car, and quite rare in this country (only about 2000 imported TOTAL), but you could get a new Z06 AND a beater C4 for what he paid...

I'll make sure he doesn't hear what you said
    [RICHR]

Corvette(s)
    2002 Torch Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default When a Bargin isn't a Bargin!!!!!!!!!

The only thing going for the car is that the owner is moving up to a Porsche. Most Porsche owners are fanatic's, even more so then vette owners.

The car can be in excellent condition both inside and out and for $9500 seems to be a good deal. But for a daily driver l would look for something in the 50,000 mile range. Think about how much mileage you will have after a couple of years and what you think you could recoup.

Also, even though the mileage is very high for any year vette it's only 8 years old. Time and mileage will cause havoc on a vette even though it was well maintained.

Check his records to see how he maintained it and what he replaced. All of the corvette parts are pricey and add up very fast.

What kind of driving did he do, if it was strictly highway, then that is a plus.

My final thought is have it checked out by a qualified mechanic before you do anything.

What looks good and feels good is not always what really is.

Alan
    May Our Trails Meet!

zog

My 86 Vette had 94,000 on it when I bought it....in 3,000 miles I have spent $2000 on parts and upgrades....

I would go for your deal in a heartbeat...newer car, great condition, and the thing will run forever if you treat it right....

vettedoc

It sounds like you have found a nice car. You realize that a used car needs maintenance and some parts or systems may need to be replaced over the years. Don't be afraid of this, but rather just be aware of it and the $$$'s it will cost. The enjoyment far outweighs the risk in my opinion.

c4ever

I would jump all over a deal like that if the car is what you say it is. Mileage means little to me if the car is properly maintained. I've got 90k on my 85 and she's never had a major repair to date, runs better than ever and she's my daily driver. Not to mention I'm not exactly easy on the throttle
    If these cars have regular tune ups, oil, tranny and diff fluid changes with premium products they'll run forever as far as I'm concerned.
    Whichever way you go, best of luck

Carlo

HB95Vette

Thanks for all the replies...
    I do think I'll go for it (it will be a few weeks) since it does seem like such a good price and I know what a fanatic my friend is on the maintenance issues. I'll set aside a few bucks for the inevitable repairs and just enjoy driving it!
    Any recommendations on a mechanic or a local club?
    Thanks again!

Should I buy high mileage? Daryllawman's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    1979 Bright Red L-82
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Go For It........ But to own and drive a Corvette you need a good paying job and or money in the bank for whatever does go wrong, as the parts are not cheep...

Should I buy high mileage? hAZcAT's Avatar
    Corvette(s)
    94 White Rag top, 85 4+3 Cop Finder Red Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

sounds like a good deal for 9500, I figure 200 bucks a month for maintaince, so far I have only spent 78 bucks oil and filters, in six months of owning my 94, it has about 92,000 soon though I will have to put new tires on the rear.... and I think I have spent $500 on wax. I am not worried about milage what matters is how well the car is cared for.

Corvette(s)
    1994 Torch Red Coupe, 1981 Blue Coupe, 1973 Orange
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Quote Originally Posted by kingman
    The only thing going for the car is that the owner is moving up to a Porsche.

Alan
    Say What????

Corvette(s)
    1987 black beauty, all ez mods, owned '62,'78
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Up untill last year, my '87 was my daily driver with 144,000 miles.
    I'm the original owner and took care to maintain and replace components (sometimes pro-actively) as necessary.
    Don't sweat the miles...enjoy. It sounds like "good mileage" to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast