$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Thermostat gasket replacement

I replaced my thermostat on my 1988 Corvette, and now I am getting a little seapage of coolant from it. The bolts are tight. The car performs great, except for this little seapage of coolant. I am going to replace the gasket to see if this does the trick. Should I be using a regular 95 cent paper gasket to replace the bad one. That is what was on there before. Any suggestions on gasket replacement would be appreciated.

c4ever

There should have been a new gasket with the stat. I'm assuming you left the old one on A new gasket from your local parts guy or dealer should do the trick. Make sure surfaces are clean.

Carlo

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

There was a new one, and it was put on the sametime I did the thermostat. I bought the new gasket today, but it appears to be thinner than the other one. Do you think the gasket might have been damaged when installed the last time?

c4ever

OOOPPPS! That's what I get for assuming. I would make sure the surfaces are true and clean. There is a possibility it was damaged. I've seen stranger things happen.

Carlo

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thankyou for your quick response. I will really make sure the surface is silky smooth before putting this one on. Thanks for your help. What is your opinion on those O-rings that are used , as opposed to the paper ones. Could you use a O -ring gasket on my 88? Let me know. What have you used on yours?

c4ever

Never used o-ring just standard gasket without any problems and I change mine out every two years when I do a coolant flush.
    Good Luck,
    Carlo

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks again Carlo!! Probably do it Weds. afternoon.

Corvette(s)
    1995 White Coupe LT-1 Auto
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Default Dribbly Thermostat Gasket

Assure there are no scratches in either surface. It seems obvious, but make sure the t'stat fits into the countersink. It's very easy to have it slightly out. This will even cause the ears on the t'stat cover to break off if it's way out.
    A reliable trick is to LIGHTLY grease the paper gasket on all of both sides (oil and water don't mix). Works much better than even silicone seal. My father-in-law (grhs) showed me this in the 50's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

Thanks for the advice. I will make sure to take the extra time. Thanks for the great tips. Its nice to have a such a great community to answer even the simplest of problems.

DHOUGHTON

Default Simple?

Sorry for the stupid question but did you put the gasket on before the stat or after the stat? In other words is the gasket underneath the thermostat or on top of it. Improper placement will cause a little leak. Not that I ever did that before, whoooops.

Marathoner

Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

After the stat was set in. I hope to replace it tomorrow. It is just a small seapage of coolant. You can tell the gasket is wet in the front, just a half inch of it is wet towards the front. It puts out about 2 drops of coolant after driving it around. But just 2 drops is too much. I will let you know what the problem is when I inspect the gasket. I see DHoughton that your from Hoffman Estates, I am originally from the SW Side of Chicago(In the City). My dad stays up there still. I moved about 12 years ago downstate, its nice and quiet and no traffic. Thanks for your insight in to my problem.