$projecthp
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Vats Key Code

Heyspike

Default Vats Key Code

Do I have to go to the dealer to get the resistance for my 86 ignition key, or is it wriiten down somewhere in the car? Do dealers charge for this service? Will a good key maker place be able to do it? Thanks,--John.

Corvette(s)
    87 Gold Z52 Coupe 02 EB Z51 Supercharged Coupe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

I think a good key shop or locksmith can measure the resistance value of your key. The local Wally World or parts stores can't do it. The resistance value is then matched to a table of key numbers to get the right one for your ECM. I think there are 15 different ignition key blanks with varying resistance values. The resistance value must match what the computer (VATS) sees in order for the car to start.

I would go to a dealer simply because they would have a key in stock. You should buy a spare key at the same time.

Corvette(s)
    1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rides

when you buy a new key from GM they put the key in there machine thingy to measure the pellets code for free, the keys are like 18 bucks I think

resto75

I had a key made at the dealer awhile back and they dont charge for checking the code but the key was about 27 bucks.